Brett MacLean

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He seems to be having a great playoffs so far at least stats wise. Why isn't this guy getting hyped more after the insane amount of points he put up this year, aside from "he plays with Tavares". Is it something like Crosby and Dany Roussin back when they were with Rimouski. What would keep him from going top 15 in june and how much of an impact does Tavares have on his production? His skating, speed? How does it compare to Latendresse's skating/speed? He's a guy I would at least think the Habs might be interested in but with the Habs having only 1 prospect in OHL this year I haven't paid much attention to the league. (2 if you count Lacasse playing half the season)

I guess there isn't any clips of him around on the net.

turnbuckle*

We have him ranked top 20 so it's not like he's being ignored.

He's not very physical for his size, and his skating is a minor issue. Scouts would like to see him move his feet more and improve his quickness.

All the guy does is score though - he has some similarities to Bobby Ryan IMO.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
He just got a six-game suspension for hitting Bryan Cameron of the Belleville Bulls from behind and into the crossbar, breaking Cameron's nose. With the Generals down 2-0 to Belleville already, MacLean's season is likely over.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He just got a six-game suspension for hitting Bryan Cameron of the Belleville Bulls from behind and into the crossbar, breaking Cameron's nose. With the Generals down 2-0 to Belleville already, MacLean's season is likely over.

I heard that this morning. David Branch doesn't mess around.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He seems to be having a great playoffs so far at least stats wise. Why isn't this guy getting hyped more after the insane amount of points he put up this year, aside from "he plays with Tavares". Is it something like Crosby and Dany Roussin back when they were with Rimouski. What would keep him from going top 15 in june and how much of an impact does Tavares have on his production? His skating, speed? How does it compare to Latendresse's skating/speed? He's a guy I would at least think the Habs might be interested in but with the Habs having only 1 prospect in OHL this year I haven't paid much attention to the league. (2 if you count Lacasse playing half the season)

I guess there isn't any clips of him around on the net.
I don't think his skating is anything like the Latendresse level of concern was. He's ok. He tends to go into cruise control a bit, but I don't think he has fundamental flaws that will hold him back. I also don't find him to leech off Tavares really... they just complement eachother. (Although I guess at the time, people who liked Roussin would have said the same about him and Crosby).

I don't see any reason why MacLean wouldn't be a candidate to go in the top-20. But I don't know much about a lot of the other players from leagues outside the OHL. I guess if there is a big run on defensemen in the latter half of the top-20 (as it seems like there might be), he's a candidate to slip down a bit. But he's a pretty good overall offensive player, and as long as he's motivated to hustle a bit more, I could see him looking something like D'Agostini does for us right now... he can be johnny-on-the-spot in the offense zone, but he can also pull some nice moves or get a surprising shot off when it's least expected too, chipping in in more ways than maybe a simple analysis of his physical skills makes you think he would.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We have him ranked top 20 so it's not like he's being ignored.

He's not very physical for his size, and his skating is a minor issue. Scouts would like to see him move his feet more and improve his quickness.

All the guy does is score though - he has some similarities to Bobby Ryan IMO.

I see you guys have him in the top 20 but I guess I'm wondering why not higher and more hype with the numbers he put up. With him being big and scoring goals left and right, I'm wondering why he isn't talked about more and as a top 10 pick.

Is his skating/foot speed as bad as Ryan's?

Ouch, 6 games? That seems a bit much for the playoffs. I didn't see the hit so I can't really comment on it but that's a hefty price.

I don't think his skating is anything like the Latendresse level of concern was. He's ok. He tends to go into cruise control a bit, but I don't think he has fundamental flaws that will hold him back. I also don't find him to leech off Tavares really... they just complement eachother. (Although I guess at the time, people who liked Roussin would have said the same about him and Crosby).

I don't see any reason why MacLean wouldn't be a candidate to go in the top-20. But I don't know much about a lot of the other players from leagues outside the OHL. I guess if there is a big run on defensemen in the latter half of the top-20 (as it seems like there might be), he's a candidate to slip down a bit. But he's a pretty good overall offensive player, and as long as he's motivated to hustle a bit more, I could see him looking something like D'Agostini does for us right now... he can be johnny-on-the-spot in the offense zone, but he can also pull some nice moves or get a surprising shot off when it's least expected too, chipping in in more ways than maybe a simple analysis of his physical skills makes you think he would.

Just like D'Agostini, MacLean can go to the AHL after 1 more year in the OHL since he's a late '88 just making the cutoff to play in the AHL.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
I see you guys have him in the top 20 but I guess I'm wondering why not higher and more hype with the numbers he put up. With him being big and scoring goals left and right, I'm wondering why he isn't talked about more and as a top 10 pick.

Is his skating/foot speed as bad as Ryan's?

Ouch, 6 games? That seems a bit much for the playoffs. I didn't see the hit so I can't really comment on it but that's a hefty price.

From what I've seen and heard he can't complain. The hit was intentional and could have been career ending. Or even worse.

cam2acopy.jpg

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
maclean took his frustration out towards the end of the game.....that game where the hit took place the reffing and this is putting it nicely was a joke.....both sides had some very questionable calls maclean was kicked out and so was cal clutterbuck for delivering a very hard hit that sent doig to the ice, it was clean though.....maclean isnt a dirty player which is why 6 games for a first time offender i think is a little harsh

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006

Nice analysis.
Maclean is also good along the boards with the puck and most of his goals come from that quick hard wrist shot.

hockeyisdbest

Apr 3, 2007
From what I saw when I was at some of the Fronts/Gens series, he looks like a player who could benefit from some training involving quick feet and generating more power from your stride.
He does benefit from Tavares, but Tavares benefits from MacLean. Tavares probably has 20 assists this year from MacLeans goals. Bottomline, he has a NHL level shot and has smarts around the net, would be a sure fire top-10 draft pick if he was faster.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
From what I saw when I was at some of the Fronts/Gens series, he looks like a player who could benefit from some training involving quick feet and generating more power from your stride.
He does benefit from Tavares, but Tavares benefits from MacLean. Tavares probably has 20 assists this year from MacLeans goals. Bottomline, he has a NHL level shot and has smarts around the net, would be a sure fire top-10 draft pick if he was faster.

I agree, it's not the Noaln-Slaney situation of 15 years ago thank god. Tavares is clearly a superior talent but Mclean is a great player too, very overlooked and IMO is close to Bryan Little's level (not quite there but close enough that a top 15 selection isn't out of the question.) I don't think he's as naturally gifted as Little but he is bigger and has a good shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad