Player Discussion Brett Kulak

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
One thing I never understood is why he was always viewed as Montreal's worst dman in the media when he completely annihilated the likes of Chiarot/Edmundson in almost every analytical category imaginable against all difficulties of competition and with all d partners, and looked better than those 2 positionally whenever we played against you guys. IDEK if the physicality thing explains it either b/c Kulak is plenty willing to play the body.
Chariot and Edmundson are both great Dmen as well. The thing with Kulak was he’d be the guy who’d move up if there were injuries and sometimes he’d struggle with a prolonged stay on the top pair. But he’s a solid middle pairing guy and an absolute asset on a bottom pair. He’s just one of those guys who is forever criminally underrated. Not a guy you want on your power play, and maybe not a guy regularly matched up against the elite players of the league, but he’s a solid player on a championship level Dcore absolutely.

Also nice to see Bouchard playing well.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Chariot and Edmundson are both great Dmen as well. The thing with Kulak was he’d be the guy who’d move up if there were injuries and sometimes he’d struggle with a prolonged stay on the top pair. But he’s a solid middle pairing guy and an absolute asset on a bottom pair. He’s just one of those guys who is forever criminally underrated. Not a guy you want on your power play, and maybe not a guy regularly matched up against the elite players of the league, but he’s a solid player on a championship level Dcore absolutely.

Also nice to see Bouchard playing well.
Chiarot is better than his analytics suggest but I'm gonna agree to disagree with you on Edmundson. He's free scoring chances every time I've seen him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Chiarot is better than his analytics suggest but I'm gonna agree to disagree with you on Edmundson. He's free scoring chances every time I've seen him.
Last year was a write off for the majority of our team. But in Eddys first year he was a first pairing guy all day. During our run last year he was probably our best dman- and was part of the core four with Weber, Petry and Chariot that was the foundation of our cup run along with Price. Kulak rotated in on the bottom pair with Romanov and a couple of offensive minded guys we were hoping would benefit the power play. Kulak couldn’t crack that top 4 but that was a phenomenal 4. On most defences he’s a 2nd pair type.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would if Kulak looking this good stings the Flames. Many moons ago Kulak was the next big thing for the Flames..

He is now turning out as hoped, just with your rivals. He is probably better then any Flames defenseman save Tanev

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How is Kulaks play? He was underrated with us but I thought he was a decent "average" defenseman.

How is he with you?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How is Kulaks play? He was underrated with us but I thought he was a decent "average" defenseman.

How is he with you?
Decent. We have a couple of solid young LD trying to get into the lineup next season in Niemelainen and Broberg. If Kulak wants to stay he may have to take term over AAV and be the next Kris Russell in terms of being versatile and a good depth option.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Decent. We have a couple of solid young LD trying to get into the lineup next season in Niemelainen and Broberg. If Kulak wants to stay he may have to take term over AAV and be the next Kris Russell in terms of being versatile and a good depth option.
At 28, he's not going to get better and he's going to fall into the journeyman pay category.

I don't see him coming back to the Habs. We also have a ton of prospects to develop and a few years away from needing to be serious about winning.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

How is he with you?
He's really sticking out because of the rest of the dcorps lack of mobility. Of course, Nurse's sitiuation is really making that look bad. But I hope they can get a deal done with him, because in the right situation, he really is a great option. Hometown boy, very good skater, size, can hit, and make some plays. Would be a great fit on the bottom pairing mentoring a young kid.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's really sticking out because of the rest of the dcorps lack of mobility. Of course, Nurse's sitiuation is really making that look bad. But I hope they can get a deal done with him, because in the right situation, he really is a great option. Hometown boy, very good skater, size, can hit, and make some plays. Would be a great fit on the bottom pairing mentoring a young kid.
Good luck with him and......GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

I want to see you guys WIN!

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Kulak was good, I'd like to see him back next season. Hopefully he doesn't want a huge raise.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Probably the shakiest defense on the playoffs
Has to be some changes and strengthening
If he can be signed with a small raise then fine

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hockey players in high school can be ridiculous. Not going to name him out of respect but my buddy would get back from his WHL season and go to high school in Edmonton. He’d sit in the back of the class chewing tobacco. Teacher would be like “can you pay attention, or where’s your homework?“. He'd just laugh and say “going to the show, teach”. Lol.

He did in fact go to the show and make tens of millions of dollars over a 15 year career so I guess he called his shot?
Never saw this post but Mark Messier was a pleasure in high school. Did not go in for the Jock crowd, distanced from those factions, was never part of what was called "cut down corner and abuse alley" and would be likely to speak to anyody, including yours truly. He was just a nice guy that was interested in all kinds of views and was obviously intelligent and thoughtful.

Met a lot of other people after high school that were pretty embarrassed about their antics in High School.

I was a quiet sort in high school. hard to believe, I know..

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Desharnais getting all the love of this pairing.

Kulak is the vet that has allowed Desharnais to improve from his substandard play end of last season.

Yes Desharnais is big (very) but Kulak is the lead of this pair. Watch his game shine even more come playoffs.
They will be targeted by elites and this year will hold the fort.

Keep them together is my vote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad