Brett Hull or Mike Bossy

bigjags*

Good one.

I've gotta say Hull tho. 86 goals in one season!! :eek:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Bossy for me and its not even close. Both great goal scorers but Bossy was a better passer and alot better defensively. Plus Bossy was one of the best clutch players ever. His 3 consecutive years with 17 playoff goals is one of hockey's more sickening stats.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
As what? An overall player? A goalscorer? A leader?

Hull, IMO, was the better goalscorer, but I really think Bossy holds an advantage over him in other areas.

Last edited:

OvechkinDomination*

Mike Bossy. 9 straight 50 goal seasons including 4 or 5 60 goal seasons in those 9 straight. He was better in other areas as well.

vbet*

Tough choice. But Bossy might be the best pure goal scorer the league has ever seen. And what a wristshot :bow:

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Game on the line, puck in the slot- give me Mike Bossy any time. Hands down the best pure goal scorer I ever saw.

I'm going to have to disagree with this point. Brett Hull had perhaps the greatest one timer in the history of the game and he was absolutely lethal in the slot (scored 37 goals at the age of 39 years old). Bossy never came close to reaching the 86 goals that Hull scored even with that great supporting Isles cast (Bossy never reached the 70 goal plateau either which Hull did twice). In other words with both players having an equally talented playmaker as a linemate, I give Hull the edge in the goal scoring department. As an overall player though, i give Bossy the edge.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
not even close for me either. Bossy in every aspect. As much as I disliked the Islanders Bossy was a pleasure to watch.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Hands down the best pure goal scorer I ever saw.

Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky and Ray Bourque each agree with you....and have stated just that in the past.

I know I post that point a lot when the question of Mike Bossy comes around these boards. But the opinion of his peers, including the two best hockey players on the planet over the past 25+ years, carries a a lot of weight with this fan.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Also to take into consideration, is that Hull only played with Oates for two seasons while the rest of those years in st.louis his centremen was Craig Janney (who is nowhere near the calibre of a brian trottier, same with Oates to a lesser degree). He never had the great supporting cast that Bossy had (not taking anything away from Bossy).

Ogopogo*

Tough call.

EDIT: Moved it to History of Hockey. Technically they're both history.

Not a tough call at all. Mike Bossy was a far greater goal scorer than Brett Hull. You just have to analyze it correctly.

Bossy is the 6th greatest goal scorer of all time, Hull is 14th. That is how I see it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Also to take into consideration, is that Hull only played with Oates for two seasons while the rest of those years in st.louis his centremen was Craig Janney (who is nowhere near the calibre of a brian trottier, same with Oates to a lesser degree). He never had the great supporting cast that Bossy had (not taking anything away from Bossy).
Didn't he spend a year or two with Zezel too?

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Bossy for sure.

However goalies weren't really goalies until Roy came along with the butterfly style. So I consider most of those goals empty-netters. :)

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York
Not a tough call at all. Mike Bossy was a far greater goal scorer than Brett Hull. You just have to analyze it correctly.

Bossy is the 6th greatest goal scorer of all time, Hull is 14th. That is how I see it.

Also, his goals per game during the regular season was .762, which is the best in the history of the game. His goals per game during the playoffs was .659, which was second only to Lemieux.

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
Great thread on a tough call....loved both of thier sniper skills to the max and feel that Hull's one-timer was possibly the greatest of all time and Bossy's wrist shot was the most deadly accurate of all time from almost any angle/distance, from the top of the circles on in. :bow:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad