Brett Connolly

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's been fine so far. I'm not sure if dressing one of Pyatt, Ritola or Jones over him would make us a better team. Having someone like Connolly on the 3rd line and the 2nd PP unit and taking a couple shifts on either our 1st or 2nd line makes us a deeper, way more dangerous and less predictable team. It's like we're icing three scoring lines. Yes, he's had his fair share of rookie mistakes and he's taken a couple of bad penalties but he's also created a couple of great scoring chances and definitely provides a spark for our team. So far there's no reason to send him down, IMO.

I agree. Him not dressing doesn't make our team better, and I don't think sending him down will make him any better. He's going to make mistakes, he's a rookie, but he's good enough to play with the big boys now.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
Couple the one on one instructions he is receiving from St.Louis and Stammer and the nine games he is receiving now is just perfect for his trip to Norfolk. Give him the chance to dominate at that level first before a permanent move up, IMO.
(forgot he is not even 20 yet. No Norfolk for him just jrs.)

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Couple the one on one instructions he is receiving from St.Louis and Stammer and the nine games he is receiving now is just perfect for his trip to Norfolk. Give him the chance to dominate at that level first before a permanent move up, IMO.
(forgot he is not even 20 yet. No Norfolk for him just jrs.)
That's the problem. He could definitely use some time in the AHL. Too good for juniors but probably not quite ready for 82 games of NHL.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
That's the problem. He could definitely use some time in the AHL. Too good for juniors but probably not quite ready for 82 games of NHL.

Truth
So considering he is too good for juniors(the more I think about it I totally agree with you) the best course of action is third line material. Moore and Shannon with Connolly?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
he is doing a heck of a lot better than either stamkos or lecavalier did as rookie teenage forwards at this point. his problem is the same as vinny and stammers was though, until he grows into his frame he is going to have a minimal impact in congested parts of the ice. combined with a learning curve, it isn't pretty. I think to be most productive, he should see time with malone, downie, and vinny. minimize the necessary board work and maxamize puck posession in the offensive zone.

In that respect, it makes perfect sense that he is getting second line pp duty.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I would not send him back to juniors, I think he's too good. I would do the same we did to Stamkos, sit some games when he's not doing good

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I would not send him back to juniors, I think he's too good. I would do the same we did to Stamkos, sit some games when he's not doing good

Stammer was a different case as he was being quickly worn out. It was during that time he began training with Gary Roberts.

Connolly doesn't seem to have the strength and endurance issues Stamkos had though.

I think player 'role' has something to do with it. Stamkos was compared to Sakic/Yzerman, but in the sniper mold. Connolly was compared to Sakic/Yzerman, but more as a well-rounded offensive player. Snipers also get expected to produce much quicker than any other, because they don't need to ever carry the puck or do anything other than shoot unharassed. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

HockeyTownUSA

Feb 25, 2009
I don't get Boucher's comments. Almost feel like there is a double standard for this kid. Boucher was adamant that the NHL is not a development league, it is a performance league, but then quickly qualifies it by saying performance is based your position and what is expected of you. (i.e., Double-talk).

Isn't that giving more rope to a young guy who is obviously developing and not performing based on production? Connelly has 1 assist and it was a weak, secondary assist at that. Last night he was demoted from the first line again, saw only 3 shifts in a tight game in the 3rd, and none in OT. Is this helping the team any?

Boucher likes this kid though I would not be surprised if he is here for game 10. I don't agree with it after what I have seen in 5 games (in terms of production). Others will support him and Boucher because he is 19 yrs old and is "performing" because of what is expected from him at this point in time. He has seen a lot of ice time on the first line, and nothing.

Off the soap box.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't get Boucher's comments. Almost feel like there is a double standard for this kid. Boucher was adamant that the NHL is not a development league, it is a performance league, but then quickly qualifies it by saying performance based your position and what is expected of you.

Isn't that giving more rope to a young guy who is obviously developing and not performing based on production? Connelly has 1 assist and it was a weak, secondary assist at that. Last night he was demoted from the first line again, saw only 3 shifts in a tight game in the 3rd, and none in OT. Is this helping the team any?

Boucher likes this kid though I would not be surprised if he is here for game 10. I don't agree with it after what I have seen in 5 games (in terms of production). Others will support him and Boucher because he is 19 yrs old and is "performing" because of what is expected from him at this point in time. He has seen a lot of ice time on the first line, and nothing.

Off the soap box.

I'm not getting your argument about how Connolly is getting all of this rope, when you also claim he was demoted from the first line, saw 3 shifts in the 3rd, and none in OT. That didn't happen by accident.

Part of those changes can also be attributed to Downie going underground for the middle portion of the game.

and about 'what is expected of you', can be taken multiple ways, but the way that I took it as meaning was 'how they are expected to perform...now', and not 'how they are expected to perform...at an indeterminate point in the future.'

While the NHL is a performance league, it doesn't mean that development doesn't have it's place.

By far the first objective is to win each game, and if helping a talented prospect along, who can also help the team now accomplishes that, then that's what they'll do.

Basically, at the end of the year, no one gives a **** about how much better the individual players have gotten if they aren't winning.

and if Boucher was going to be knocking Connolly, he'd already be back in Prince George.

Pure point production isn't the end-all-be-all of how well a forward performs anyway. Stammer, Vinny, and Marty aren't exactly lightning it up right now, but they still contribute every game.

Last edited:

HockeyTownUSA

Feb 25, 2009
While the NHL is a performance league, it doesn't mean that development doesn't have it's place.

By far the first objective is to win each game, and if helping a talented prospect along, who can also help the team now accomplishes that, then that's what they'll do.

Basically, at the end of the year, no one gives a **** about how much better the individual players have gotten if they aren't winning.

and if Boucher was going to be knocking Connolly, he'd already be back in Prince George.

Pure point production isn't the end-all-be-all of how well a forward performs. Stammer, Vinny, and Marty aren't exactly lightning it up right now, but they still contribute game in and game out.

That's my point. It is not happening. If they were winning and he was helping along the way I would have no argument.

The 3 STARS you mention have a proven track record in the NHL over a full season(s). A 19 yr old does not. I have no idea what he can produce over a long, grinding season.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm not getting your argument about how Connolly is getting all of this rope, when you also claim he was demoted from the first line, saw 3 shifts in the 3rd, and none in OT. That didn't happen by accident.

Part of those changes can also be attributed to Downie going underground for the middle portion of the game.

and about 'what is expected of you', can be taken multiple ways, but the way that I took it as meaning was 'how they are expected to perform...now', and not 'how they are expected to perform...at an indeterminate point in the future.'

Pure point production isn't the end-all-be-all of how well a forward performs anyway. Stammer, Vinny, and Marty aren't exactly lightning it up right now, but they still contribute every game.

I think your posts typically lack quality, but this is an exception. excellent post

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
"He eventually will be an NHL player," Boucher said. "Now will he be an NHL player starting this year for a long time? It's up to him and it's up to, I think, circumstances, too, for us to see if he can manage it because we don't want to hurt the kids. It's not about us accelerating the process; it's about us respecting the process and being patient and smart because I've seen so many guys that are good lose it because they stick too early. So we want to make sure we don't make that mistake."
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/lightning/2011/oct/15/2/complexity-clouds-decision-on-connolly-ar-272399/

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
That's my point. It is not happening. If they were winning and he was helping along the way I would have no argument.

The 3 STARS you mention have a proven track record in the NHL over a full season(s). A 19 yr old does not. I have no idea what he can produce over a long, grinding season.

Jeff Skinner, Cam Fowler, and Taylor Hall didn't have a proven track record in the NHL. Didn't seem to bother them.

HockeyTownUSA

Feb 25, 2009
Would it not make more sense to demote Connolly to the Dub and elevate Carter Ashton if a 3rd line type grinding role is what is required?

I think the team has enough grinders at the moment. I don't think that is the answer.

Overwatch

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Give the kid a break its only five games in. He, like some of his fellow teammates, are still learning the system. You saw how poise he is with the puck it will come. Also, you can't expect him to blow it out of the water when our stars aren't really lighting it up either.

If he was a Skinner or Hall he would have been playing in the NHL as an 18 yr old.

He was coming off an injury plague season you think he would play?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Give the kid a break its only five games in. He, like some of his fellow teammates, are still learning the system. You saw how poise he is with the puck it will come. Also, you can't expect him to blow it out of the water when our stars aren't really lighting it up either.

He was coming off an injury plague season you think he would play?
This.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Might be me but I think he has been one of our top forwards, sure, the points have not coming but he is intense, he backchecks and forechecks well... points will come

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If he was a Skinner or Hall he would have been playing in the NHL as an 18 yr old.

Skinner and Hall were also drafted by teams that needed bodies in the lineup.

In most cases, if a team drafts a player that's good enough to be on the roster for opening night, he will usually be there. (or at least get his 9. There may be contract issues in play.)

Connolly wasn't a pressing need to get into the lineup, and as others have said; He missed basically his entire draft year with injury, so he wasn't good enough at that point to have made the team, but if he was, he would have.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad