WWE: Bret Hart discusses who he misses, Triple H, bad booking, Reigns, Ambrose, others

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Who he misses:

“I miss Daniel Bryan and CM Punk since they both exited the scene, and I find myself watching wrestling less and less since those guys left,” said Hart. “I don’t know if they’ve filled their shoes. Dean Ambrose has done a lot to fill their space, and I really enjoy watching him, but it’s going to be a tough job for whoever wins the championship–that person will have a lot of weight on his back to carry the team.”

On Triple H:

“Triple H is a bodybuilder nut. He goes after the bodies. He doesn’t care how good–and he can look in the mirror–guys work, he cares how guys look. Punk and Bryan are guys concerned with how they work. It’s a different philosophy. I admire Punk for taking his stand. He was the guy doing all the work, every week, going injured, and here’s a guy sitting at home–working three or four times a year–and you’re going to give him the main event at WrestleMania? I’m not buying it.”

“Vince is sorry that they lost Punk,” said Hart. “Vince has a better sense of wrestlers’ look and their work, and Triple H is more prone to bodybuilders. If a guy is 6’5” and has a bodybuilder’s physique, that’s all that matters to him. But he’s wrong.”

On Roman Reigns:

​“Reigns is just like Kevin Nash,” said Hart. “If you look back at Reigns, his character was getting over really good on his own. Then they rushed him into a babyface turn and crammed him down everybody’s thoughts, and people rejected him. It wasn’t his fault. It was kind of like with Kevin Nash. He was slowly getting over, and I wrestled him at [the 1994] King of the Ring and we had a really good match. All of a sudden, by August, they were ready to make him the new champion. And I’m going, ‘He’s not ready yet. Give him a little time and let him get even more over.’ Why is there a rush? Reigns got dealt a bad set of cards. It has nothing to do with his work rate–he’s a really good worker and his style is really good. He just needs to be himself.

On Dean Ambrose:

“I watch Dean Ambrose and I really admire him,” said Hart. “He likes to put emotion into the match. There’s a lot of drama and he gets a lot out of the expressions and body language. That’s forgotten by too many wrestlers. My criticism of wrestlers today is that they’re all high spot monkeys. Everything is a high spot, and they go right into the next move to the next move to the next move. Then we forget what they just did. We can’t register all that. Guys are forgetting how to tell a story. Nobody sells anything or registers or enough in wrestling today. They do some absolutely breathtaking moves and get back up on their feet and do another running spot, missing the whole point of what they just did. Dean Ambrose is a guy who takes his time with his storyline and his moves, and he gets the most mileage out of the simplest things.”

For the full article: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...e-h-survivor-series-seth-rollins-daniel-bryan

It is a fantastic read which I highly recommend. He also discusses European talents in the WWE and why they're held back because of Vince, Kevin Owens, Bray Wyatt, The Undertaker and Undertaker's feelings towards backstage politics, his thoughts on Seth Rollins as a worker, whose side he'd take on the Punk vs. WWE issue and why, bad booking hurting Roman Reigns and Survivor Series.

The Shockmaster

SHOCK THE WORLD
Jul 30, 2010
I also find that HHH quote a bit strange, but I can't really dismiss it until we see what happens when HHH takes greater/full control.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Also not buying the Triple H quote
H has always said he goes after people who desire to want to achieve success in the business
He pointed out Corbin for one (who has no bodybuilding figure) as a guy who he likes because Corbin expressed a desire to want to succeed since day one

Also dislike the comments about Rollins, though I'm a huge Rollins mark, so I may be biased on that matter

Not really caring for a lot of what Bret has to say in the past year or so, honestly

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Also not buying the Triple H quote
H has always said he goes after people who desire to want to achieve success in the business
He pointed out Corbin for one (who has no bodybuilding figure) as a guy who he likes because Corbin expressed a desire to want to succeed since day one

Also dislike the comments about Rollins, though I'm a huge Rollins mark, so I may be biased on that matter

Not really caring for a lot of what Bret has to say in the past year or so, honestly
Yeah, Bret says things at times that really don't make sense at times. He's turned into a bitter old man, which sucks 'cos life wasn't as good to him as it should have been. Still love him mind.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I find myself watching less and less too Bret. It's boring and I don't care about 99% of what I see and hear on the program.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I also find that HHH quote a bit strange, but I can't really dismiss it until we see what happens when HHH takes greater/full control.

If he were in control now, Reigns would be WWE World champion. HHH has been a Reigns guy longer than Vince.

But on the flip side, he's also a Kevin Owens guy, so who knows?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Bret said many things I agree with and many things I find confusing.

- He's right about Reigns and certainly right about the product since Bryan and Punk left.

- I'm legitimately confused by him saying Vince appreciates the work while HHH appreciates the body. That's a contradiction to essentially everything we've ever seen with these two. I know HHH is a Reigns fan but Vince has far too much history of loving the big guy to ignore.

- I agree with him about Bray but most of that is obvious and commonly known.

- Says Dean, Kevin Owens and Reigns are the hardest working guys in the company but Reigns has been screwed with booking? Maybe in the sense that it could hurt him long term...but he has some of the most favourable booking ever. Screw that. Guys like Bray Wyatt literally feud with themselves monthly. That's hard working and dude hasn't been booked to win in a year. That's hard working with ****** booking, Bret.

- Rollins is unprofessional and unsafe for breaking Cena's nose? Dude works 300+ days a year and is constantly double booked..mistakes are going to happen. Owen, one of the better workers of his era, broke Austin's neck and I doubt Bret would call that unprofessional and unsafe.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bret is becoming one of those old wrestlers who keeps sounding more and more jaded. He isn't wrong in some of this, but almost every one of his interviews gets more and more sad. Reporters are just waiting for him to sound off his displeasure.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

- He's right about Reigns and certainly right about the product since Bryan and Punk left.

- I'm legitimately confused by him saying Vince appreciates the work while HHH appreciates the body. That's a contradiction to essentially everything we've ever seen with these two. I know HHH is a Reigns fan but Vince has far too much history of loving the big guy to ignore.

- Says Dean, Kevin Owens and Reigns are the hardest working guys in the company but Reigns has been screwed with booking? Maybe in the sense that it could hurt him long term...but he has some of the most favourable booking ever. Screw that. Guys like Bray Wyatt literally feud with themselves monthly. That's hard working and dude hasn't been booked to win in a year. That's hard working with ****** booking, Bret.

- Rollins is unprofessional and unsafe for breaking Cena's nose? Dude works 300+ days a year and is constantly double booked..mistakes are going to happen. Owen, one of the better workers of his era, broke Austin's neck and I doubt Bret would call that unprofessional and unsafe.

Amen. You said it best so I didn't add it to my post. Complete ********.

While Vince is focusing on Reigns, HHH is creating young superstars w/o mega bodybuilder bodies in NXT. Both KO and HHH are on record saying that HHH was the constant in Vince's ear about KO. HHH even told KO that the powers that be will hate his body so he better fight through it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

XDnHNED.gif

Remember when Vince wanted Ryback to be the next top face? lmao

And yeah, the Rollins comments had me scratching my head, as well as a few other comments. It's clear that Bret respects Vince but absolutely loathes Triple H.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If he were in control now, Reigns would be WWE World champion. HHH has been a Reigns guy longer than Vince.

But on the flip side, he's also a Kevin Owens guy, so who knows?

I don't buy all of the quote. I buy that Vince misses Punk and HHH doesn't as I think it was clear Vince always liked Punk but HHH despised him.

The quote on bodybuilder types though. I'm not sure that is exactly how HHH sees things but it definitely is how Vince has for a long long time.

I do think Vince is also behind the Roman push. It's not just HHH.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
- Says Dean, Kevin Owens and Reigns are the hardest working guys in the company but Reigns has been screwed with booking? Maybe in the sense that it could hurt him long term...but he has some of the most favourable booking ever. Screw that. Guys like Bray Wyatt literally feud with themselves monthly. That's hard working and dude hasn't been booked to win in a year. That's hard working with ****** booking, Bret. .

The point is that the way they've booked Reigns has left him screwed with the crowd now. That "some of the most favourable booking ever" IS the problem.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
The point is that the way they've booked Reigns has left him screwed with the crowd now. That "some of the most favourable booking ever" IS the problem.

Agreed. Slow him down. Give him the IC title, put him in a long term tag team, doesnt need to be the heavyweight champ. That will come when you know he's ready.

The Jesus*

Nobody ever has anything nice to say about Triple H. Ever wonder why that is? A bunch of people have straight up accused him of being a sociopath who married a girl he despises to solidify his future in the company.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
HHH was a wrestler, I think he looks for more than body/look when he evaluates a wrestler. Vince has always loved his roidy magoos and tall guys. How else do you explain guys like Bobby Lashley and Chris Masters getting pushes? And then the guy has the audacity to claim that Cesaro doesn't get a push because he can't connect with the fans.

Bret Hart seems to really dislike HHH. On the other hand, HHH complained that Angle was too small to be champion in 2000 until a member of creative told him to legit wrestle Angle and see how it would go.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
HHH was a wrestler, I think he looks for more than body/look when he evaluates a wrestler. Vince has always loved his roidy magoos and tall guys. How else do you explain guys like Bobby Lashley and Chris Masters getting pushes? And then the guy has the audacity to claim that Cesaro doesn't get a push because he can't connect with the fans.

Bret Hart seems to really dislike HHH. On the other hand, HHH complained that Angle was too small to be champion in 2000 until a member of creative told him to legit wrestle Angle and see how it would go.

HHH the wrestler is different than HHH the executive.

...I hope.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Nobody ever has anything nice to say about Triple H. Ever wonder why that is? A bunch of people have straight up accused him of being a sociopath who married a girl he despises to solidify his future in the company.

Not totally true. There are guys who praise him as really being a "normal guy" for wrestling in the sense he wasn't a party guy, but totally dedicated to the business.

It doesn't change the fact that he got in Vince's ear and that led to getting pushed over a lot of other guys who were hotter than he was at the time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not totally true. There are guys who praise him as really being a "normal guy" for wrestling in the sense he wasn't a party guy, but totally dedicated to the business.

It doesn't change the fact that he got in Vince's ear and that led to getting pushed over a lot of other guys who were hotter than he was at the time.

Being the significant other of his daughter has its advantages. lol

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Well, HHH was a bodybuilder before he got into wrestling, so I can see where he would be biased toward someone with that physique. On the other hand, he has openly supported a guy like Kevin Owens, so I'm not sure what to believe. Seems like Bret's dislike for HHH might be a big factor in some of these quotes, but it's a nice read nonetheless.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I think Bret just prefers to be kind to Vince because he had a good relationship with him for a long time as opposed to HHH who was just one of the boys and he sees as a backstabbing rat. He was supposedly the guy who told Shawn do not job to Bret at Survivor Series after Shawn had grudgingly agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad