Brent Sutter

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What you guys think about Brent Sutter as the coach of the Flyers?

He would definitely implement a system that would help Bryz GAA go down. He is very good with young players (ie. Giroux, Voracek, Schenn's, Couturier). The Flyers have a lot of players that already fit his style and play a great 2 way game. He pretty much got run out of Calgary, but I truly believe he is a good coach. Parise had a career year under him and I believe so did Zajac.

Anyways, curious as to what your guys thoughts would be about him replacing Lavy? Before his brother Darryl hired him, D. Sutter was considering making himself the head coach of the Flames but he basically said if there was anyone better than him that they would get the job. D. Sutter is a excellent coach and I think Brent would be a very good fit in Philly.

bbcelite

Oct 11, 2009
Bavaria
Sounds good to me. Especially if its true with the young players. Btw i would take every coach with a denfense-mindet system.

Evergreen

If I recall correctly, Sutter resigned from his position with the Devils to move back to Calgary. He prefers to be in that geographical area, I believe.

Additionally, is he really a defensive-minded coach? Calgary's GA numbers (even with Kiprusoff) were near the top of the Western Conference while he was coaching the Flames. I don't know what kind of system he employs. I do agree with the sentiment that we need a more defense first type of coach.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm not sold on Sutter. Yeah, he did well in junior hockey, but at the pro level, he had some issues dealing with the players. There was a reason why he walked away from Jersey and why he had no problems when the Flames let him go. Pro hockey just wasn't for him.

If the Flyers do decide to fire Laviolette and if they go in a defensive oriented direction, a couple of names of some good assistants who have paid their dues are Keith Acton in Columbus and Lane Lambert in Nashville. Would actually love to see Acton finally get a call to be a head coach as he's been an assistant for quite some time now.

MountainGoat

Sounds good to me. Especially if its true with the young players. Btw i would take every coach with a denfense-mindet system.

Sutter helped the Devils out of the "trap" and into a more aggressive forechecking system and then Deboer came in and brought it to a new level

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
He didn't seem like a particularly good NHL coach from what I've seen. As stated above I believe he likes to stay close to the family farm in Alberta.

toughfighter83*

they have to get someone from a winning franchise from ahl or nhl with defensive coaching experience, not a retread like lav.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad