Value of: Brent Seabrook

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Seabrook easily worth multiple firsts. 3 time cup winner, punishing dman, booming shot from the point, intangibles galore

wow.
And some people deride my posts that talk up Kreider and other Rangers.

Seabrook is the worst contract in the league, a 33 yr old currently working on 6.875 x 6, w/nmc which means he must be protected in expansion draft.

He may not be the most unproductive, but his best days are behind him, and he could totally fall off the cliff at any time.

good luck
you + Oil w/Lucic are gonna need it.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hawk could use the cap space to make a run at Panarin. Whats the market like for a 3 time cup winner on a cost controlled contract thats great in the locker room...
His cups mean nothing when hes on the wrong side of 30, is a third pairing dman and has arguably the worst contract in the league. "Cost controlled" doesn't apply to guys like Seabrook. Zaitsev is also "cost controlled". So is Lucic. You're putting lipstick on a pig.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I'm a flyers fan and even I know that's a massive rip off for Chicago. Why would they ever do that? Seabrook sucks but he's not potentially 2 1st rounders suck, especially when one is a lotto pick AND they're taking dumps in return. Just sit here and pray there's another lock out where you get some free player buy-outs.

You underestimate the level of suck a 36 year old seabrook is going to have. Even as is there's the capspace worth of difference between him and macdonald and amac is up next year while seabrook has another 4 after that. The only reason I'd even do this is that chicago should be picking in the top ten this year. If they were both late firsts i wouldn't do it. His deal is that egregiously bad. By the time the expansion comes hagg will be the better player i only threw him in the deal because i value seabs intangibles. I'd also consider a lecavalier style deal but as is its too much money for way too long

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'm a flyers fan and even I know that's a massive rip off for Chicago. Why would they ever do that? Seabrook sucks but he's not potentially 2 1st rounders suck, especially when one is a lotto pick AND they're taking dumps in return. Just sit here and pray there's another lock out where you get some free player buy-outs.

You're underestimating what you'd be taking on. Not only is that a 6.8M cap hit for the next 5 years, its a contract structured to be practically buyout proof. And hes got a full NMC that lasts through the Seattle expansion draft, so your giving up a protection slot for him. For a guy that will be 39 years old when that contract ends.

Anyone taking on that hot mess is going to expect a ton of compensation, if they can find someone willing to do it at all.

Reactions: LDF

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Of course it is. But that’d literally be the only reason for the flyers to guarantee loosing one of myers or sanheim. At best, they protect four d and that would have to include seabrook. Seabrook, provorov, ghost, Myers or sanheim.

Their best bet may be getting him to waive for expansion and send a first rounder with him. Maybe...

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If you have that much Cap space...why are you trying to create some? Stan is that you???

I think what they're trying to create is protection spots, and probably a roster spot for a better player as much as cap space. Seabrook seems to be immune to press box time, and from what I've seen CHI fans are not to happy with what they're seeing from him on the ice

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Of course it is. But that’d literally be the only reason for the flyers to guarantee loosing one of myers or sanheim. At best, they protect four d and that would have to include seabrook. Seabrook, provorov, ghost, Myers or sanheim.

Their best bet may be getting him to waive for expansion and send a first rounder with him. Maybe...

I'm not advocating for the Flyers to pick him up at all, even with sending bums in return. I don't want him on the team but they'd be able to find a trade partner who'd take him for less then those 2 1sts, especially when one is going to be a high pick.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I'm not advocating for the Flyers to pick him up at all, even with sending bums in return. I don't want him on the team but they'd be able to find a trade partner who'd take him for less then those 2 1sts, especially when one is going to be a high pick.

Likewise. Even with our massive amounts of cap space, we are no longer in the trash business.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
one team really stands out to me that is completely void a Cup winning veteran presence like Seabrook. That would be Buffalo Sabres..problem is Seabrook Cap hit. I would offer Seabrook @ 25% retained, Forsling, and 3rd rd pick to Buffalo for 2019 2nd rd pick.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
one team really stands out to me that is completely void a Cup winning veteran presence like Seabrook. That would be Buffalo Sabres..problem is Seabrook Cap hit. I would offer Seabrook @ 25% retained, Forsling, and 3rd rd pick to Buffalo for 2019 2nd rd pick.
Don't do us any favors.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think what they're trying to create is protection spots, and probably a roster spot for a better player as much as cap space. Seabrook seems to be immune to press box time, and from what I've seen CHI fans are not to happy with what they're seeing from him on the ice
Why doesn’t Chicago do a handshake deal with Brent and ask him to waive nmc for the ED. Follow that up with a show of good faith and send a mid round pick to Seattle for a late round pick to “not take seabrook”.

He wants to stay but you have to give assurances that he won’t be taken. His contract would keep Seattle away unless the hawks added a big sweatener.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
If Seabrook's contract is positively affected by being "cost-controlled", I would love to see an example where said property is not desirable...

Yes, the guy is cost controlled in a sense that you know you will be overpaying him ad infinitum.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
In the original post he said they were looking to create cap space to take a run at Panarin....now after someone talked about their cap space he says they have 20 million in space...so which is it? Sounds like Bowman is on here in disguise since neither him or this guy apparently have any idea what they want or need.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Seabrook 50% retained + 2019 first round pick.

for future considerations

Does any team bite on that?

Ottawa should. They need to get to the SMS floor somehow and Chicago's pick would take the sting out of losing their own. He would also be a good leader for the young guys. 6 years is a lot, but they could always retain on him again and flip him (he would still have value at <2M) or melnyk could prove his commitment to the team by using a compliance buyout in him next cba.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
no.
analysis why later this pm

so, look
every way you slice it, this is a no.
the term and the nmc are killer in combo w/protection slot in the draft being used.

there is always a chance that Seattle MIGHT do ya a favor and take a 2nd on each remaining year of his deal to eat half the $ at that point, ON TOP OF a nice sweetener, and in exchange take Seabrook with the selection [if as I remember that trumps the player nmc, I may be wrong on that, may require his consent].

But to get to where you are now to there, involves unloading to a partner before Seattle, so they have to eat that cost and take it up front from you.

Unless the NHL immediately allowed compliance buy outs, and same was acceptable, I would not go near Seabs.
Wonderful career, horrible contract going forward.

the closest you could get is after this season it's 5 years of Seabs and 2 yrs Brendan Smith at 4.35 per

Even if you did Seabs at max retained half = 3.4375m per. Even if there was an incentive to get only a tiny bit of cap recovery on those 2 years, the remaining 3 are a nightmare. NY would rather have the shorter contract, more flexible to move, etc.

1 1st for 3 additional years plus the exp draft headache is not worth it.

To eat the 3.4375m x 3 = 10ish m, deadweight with an aging star becoming more immobile by the day, it would be AT LEAST 2 of 2019 1st, Boqvist, or DeBrincat.

I know Hawks fans don't wanna go there, so that is not an offer.

But that is the min it would take to even just only think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad