Brent Gretzky

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Speaking of Keith Gretzky, it looks like multiple sources have him as born in 1967 and he started his OHL career in 1982. This would mean he started playing at age 15. Does anyone recall the reason for this? Was it because of his last name? His career was pretty unexceptional for someone who entered the OHL at age 15.
I think players were permitted to play in the OHL at age 15 in their hometown only. He played for Brantford. Similarly, Kirk Muller played for Kingston (his hometown) at 15.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think players were permitted to play in the OHL at age 15 in their hometown only. He played for Brantford. Similarly, Kirk Muller played for Kingston (his hometown) at 15.

Was there some kind of a limit? I have the impression that Fogarty played for the Alexanders while he was still 14.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Was there some kind of a limit? I have the impression that Fogarty played for the Alexanders while he was still 14.
I looked it up, Fogarty played 1 game for Brantford (his hometown) when he was 14. But I don't know the answer to your question, there might have been game limits at age 14 at that time. And this was the final season that Brantford had an OHL team, so he didn't get to play with them at 15 (assuming the rule was still in place, which I'm not sure about). Fogarty played Tier II when he was 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad