Rumor: Brenden Morrow

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey

"I'm hearing that one of the teams still pushing for Brenden Morrow is the Carolina Hurricanes. Former Teammate Kirk Muller has reached out"

Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey

"@Jnederhoff there's money especially when Pitkanen goes on LTDL at the end of the month"

-----

Figured might as well start the Brenden Morrow watch thread.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Doesn't fix the defense, but it improves what's arguably the worst 3rd line in the league since Lindholm is a total unknown quantity so far. Maybe, instead, it's bottom 10 instead of bottom 3.

Gotta find the little things.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm not as worried about the defense, they are running a lot of the AHL guys on it still. I will wait till about 10 games in on D. Still see a trade happening on that end.

But Morrow adds that physical presence on the 3rd line we really need.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm concerned about the Defense as well but what else can they do with the D at this time? Who else is out there that could help?

I know Ian White is available and JR loves to recycle players but that experiment didn't work out.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm concerned about the Defense as well but what else can they do with the D at this time? Who else is out there that could help?

I know Ian White is available and JR loves to recycle players but that experiment didn't work out.

Only way to really fix the D is a trade for a legit top guy. It will cost a top 6 wing and draft picks.

But back to Morrow, him and Dvorak would instantly make the team better up front and harder to play against.

Tlusty / Eric / Semin
Morrow / Jordan / Dvorak
Skinner / Ruutu / Lindholm (Gerbe maybe)
Sutter / Nash / Dwyer

Sekera / Faulk
Hainsey / Gleason
Harrison / Komi
Murphy

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Real NHL'r vs. NHL wannabes. A guy you expect 40pts from vs. guys you hope for 20 points from.

The more goals we get, the more goals our suspect defense can give up!

Only way to really fix the D is a trade for a legit top guy. It will cost a top 6 wing and draft picks.

Probably can't be done. Teams aren't looking to move out their best defensive players 2 weeks before opening night. I'd guess there are 0 available guys who could 'fix the D.'

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Nobody should expect 40 points from Morrow anymore, though he's still capable of it. But if you can get a guy like him who can light a fire under some ***** in the room and still contribute something offensively, even if it's on a one year, when the alternative is marginal talent, then you do it.

And yeah, we're not getting a top D without sending out someone like Skinner.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Nobody should expect 40 points from Morrow anymore, though he's still capable of it. But if you can get a guy like him who can light a fire under some ***** in the room and still contribute something offensively, even if it's on a one year, when the alternative is marginal talent, then you do it.

And yeah, we're not getting a top D without sending out someone like Skinner.

Skinner would be the starting point.

It would be Skinner / Prospect / Pick for Top 4 D pairing guy.

Morrow would not be coming here for a points role, he will be coming here to hit and protect, much like Ruutu used to.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm torn on this one. Love the player, but he's 34. But this team could use some non-Staal leadership. Plus, we need somebody to fill in for the eventual Tuomo Ruutu injury. Whatever JR decides will be fine with me. I'm leaning toward hoping he signs here.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm torn on this one. Love the player, but he's 34. But this team could use some non-Staal leadership. Plus, we need somebody to fill in for the eventual Tuomo Ruutu injury. Whatever JR decides will be fine with me. I'm leaning toward hoping he signs here.

Pretty sure I saw Ruutu skate off gingerly and lift himself through the gate there in the 3rd period. Looked like Bowman took one of his shifts too.

I wouldn't mind Morrow but where does he fit?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Pretty sure I saw Ruutu skate off gingerly and lift himself through the gate there in the 3rd period. Looked like Bowman took one of his shifts too.

I wouldn't mind Morrow but where does he fit?

Asked and answered, no?

And I really hate to say this, but if Ruutu were somehow out for the year, and we were able to use his LTIR cap space and insurance money to pay somebody else to do his job (aka, pulling a Pitkanen), I'd be thrilled. The only problem is that he's got two years left after this one, but I'd be fine moving on from this guy as well. He simply can't be counted on.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Morrow would be a help, even if he doesn't fix our biggest issue. I would say a mix of sandpaper with a little skill WOULD fix some of the things wrong with the forwards. There's no way we don't have room for him.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
I'd love to add Morrow. At best he could bring some physicality and even a little offense to the mix. At worst he's just another LaRose with a lot more leadership, which by itself would be a huge plus on this team.

ramp23

Oct 14, 2010
"But this team could use some non-Staal leadership."

This! Morrow is a proven leader and imo, that's an area where we are lacking!

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
Morrow offer from Blues is believed to be around $1 million on 1yr deal. Morrow was originally asking for $2 million when FA opened July 5th

If it's a matter of money, gotta think we'll be offering closer to 2mil than 1mil.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad