Value of: Brendan Smith

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
wow Bowey has been that bad, not that Smith is but hey you guys want Staal since you have dead weight why not add another piece lmfao

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Staal as a veteran presence for the young guys like Hronek, Seider and Cholowski. He's always been a steady stay at home guy. What's been his issue this season? Have the wheels just fallen off?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like your thinking. (I'm also a wings fan)
How about
Madison Bowey for Brendan Smith and NYR's 2nd this year?

Wouldn't work---Carolina has our 2nd this year anyway but Bowey's not that interesting to me and if push came to shove I'd just rather buy Smith out. A 4th for him anyway isn't anything outrageous. By that point a draft's usually turned into something of a guessing game. He's more than less an NHL player. For a team that might want to hit the cap floor he might come in handy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Staal as a veteran presence for the young guys like Hronek, Seider and Cholowski. He's always been a steady stay at home guy. What's been his issue this season? Have the wheels just fallen off?

Rangers fans tend to really hate on Staal a lot. He's never really been the same after the Voracek deflected shot caved in the side of his head and caused some loss of vision. Prior to that he had a really bad concussion delivered to him by his own brother Eric that kept him out of the lineup for at least a year. He doesn't have much of a two way game but he gets in the way defensively and has size and reach. His cap hit is way too much for what he brings now but there's only one season left of it.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'd rather keep Snith over Staal. More heart, grit and isn't slow.offebaive dies when Staal gets the puck.

Reactions: bl02

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Overpaid but not a bad 6th defenseman or 13th forward. One more year, might as well hang onto him or dump him at the deadline next year for a mid/late pick if someone needs depth.

Im not a big fan, but compared to Staal he looks like a Norris contender.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Overpaid but not a bad 6th defenseman or 13th forward. One more year, might as well hang onto him or dump him at the deadline next year for a mid/late pick if someone needs depth.

if i had to choose Staal or Smith as a vet, I rather keep Smith. Staal is useless, at least Smith can look like he is somewhat worth his contract. Staal ain't worth a PTO at this point. totally useless

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'd rather keep Snith over Staal. More heart, grit and isn't slow.offebaive dies when Staal gets the puck.

if i had to choose Staal or Smith as a vet, I rather keep Smith. Staal is useless, at least Smith can look like he is somewhat worth his contract. Staal ain't worth a PTO at this point. totally useless

They are both horrible.
Smith can only do grit 4LW.
keep unless we can dump him at acceptable #, pref. for $.

Staal I have loved for all he has done, but he is betrayed by injuries.
He needs to standup, and just effin retire.

Our stupidity - a rare mistake by the brain trust - was to buy out Shattenkirk. We should have bought out Staal and/or Smith instead. Shat could have been traded next season [no restrictive clause], his last under our deal.

The Marleau standard of 6m for 1 yr = 1st.
At full pop Smith 4.35 x 1 expiring = 3rd +
reduced by half to 2.175 =like 4th+

Sens have 3 1sts and 4 2nds this year, conditions notwithstanding.

We should be able to throw in their 4th for 2021 that we own for taking Smith and do a larger deal.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He has no value but he's also not bad enough to pay someone to take him. So, I'd rather just keep him.

This is the sensible fallback position if OTT or no other white knight emerges.
We should have him in the A at Hartford, so we can give mins to Hajek, Rykov, if BS is still here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The issue is he's Staal and not flashy like Fox and DeAngelo. Staal hasn't been our biggest issue on defense this year, not even close. If you mean what's been his issue over the years, yeah, he's slow and one-eye vision has been probably getting worse.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The issue is he's Staal and not flashy like Fox and DeAngelo. Staal hasn't been our biggest issue on defense this year, not even close. If you mean what's been his issue over the years, yeah, he's slow and one-eye vision has been probably getting worse.
If Stall was making 2m and your 6 he is just fine. And if Stall was bought out i am guessing someone would sign at 2m in a second. Its that he makes 5.7m and as a bottom pairing d man that is way too much.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
"After the Dallas game, Quinn remarked on how well he thought Smith was playing . “He’s done a phenomenal job stepping in and playing defense the last two and a half weeks. I loved his puck play, his defensive mindset…there’s just so many good thing to his game right now. He’s really been a solidifying force for us back there. He steps up, he fought Benn last night, he’s really the consummate teammate.”"

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
"After the Dallas game, Quinn remarked on how well he thought Smith was playing . “He’s done a phenomenal job stepping in and playing defense the last two and a half weeks. I loved his puck play, his defensive mindset…there’s just so many good thing to his game right now. He’s really been a solidifying force for us back there. He steps up, he fought Benn last night, he’s really the consummate teammate.”"

And he still has negative value.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
i rather keep Smith and try to move Staal

If the Canucks are unable to unload some of their veteran 3rd liners, such as Brandon Sutter, Sven Baertschi, Antoine Roussel, etc. I could see them trading for their d-man equivalent on a similar contract. They really need to re-allocate funds into defense -- even if it's for bottom pairing/depth guys. Canucks have a lot of forward depth, but lack depth on defense. A change of scenery trade would likely make both fan bases happy.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
:avs:rangers

What would Rangers be willing to add to Smith to move him to Colorado without retention?

As shown below, Avs may again have around $5m in unused capspace next season if they have a quiet offseason involving these reasonably predictable moves:
  • Resign Namestnikov (UFA), Burakovsky, Nichuskin, Graves
  • Trade Zadorov, Jost, and Kamenev for futures
Smith has a cap hit of $4.35m, but his base salary for 2020/21 is only $2.35m which despite his caphit isn't completely unreasonable dollar-wise for a depth defenseman.

Adding Smith would still leave Colorado with around $600k - $1.5m in unused capspace, meaning that there would still be enough cap accrual by the deadline to still add a good player for the playoffs.

That said, it would require a decent enough add-on for it to be worth it for Colorado.

upload_2020-5-9_16-9-39.png

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'd rather leave him with Trouba for now. Most I'd give up is a 3rd while retaining half. Not going higher when a buyout is only slightly more than retaining. And I'm not offering a great piece to take smith at full for 1 year.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Brendan Smith has been playing well and has displayed a good mix of versatility and ruggedness and all around good mobile veteran team player.

Rangers likely need to make room for Miller or Rykov or Hajek and have cap issues. Smith just turned 31, has 1 year left @4.35 Cap.

I think if Rangers retain about 1/3 of his salary there should be several teams interested.

Assessment of his production is overly optimistic.
He MAY have value as a grit depth guy.
NY has to pay to erase a year early.
How much is open to debate

Figure NYR pay 1m salary bonus which makes a 4.35m cap number a 2.35m base salary. Pick up 25% for Ottawa. and it makes for 3.1m cap and 1.8m salary. I could see Ottawa biting.
We can pay the bonus and go up to half.
If we are doing that, I'm thinking like return of the 4th OTT ponied up Namest, something like that.

Not that B Smith is good but I just have less faith in Ottawa owner worrying about doing right thing vs cheap thing.
To date the record supports this, generally.

:avs:rangers

What would Rangers be willing to add to Smith to move him to Colorado without retention?

As shown below, Avs may again have around $5m in unused capspace next season if they have a quiet offseason involving these reasonably predictable moves:
  • Resign Namestnikov (UFA), Burakovsky, Nichuskin, Graves
  • Trade Zadorov, Jost, and Kamenev for futures
Smith has a cap hit of $4.35m, but his base salary for 2020/21 is only $2.35m which despite his caphit isn't completely unreasonable dollar-wise for a depth defenseman.

Adding Smith would still leave Colorado with around $600k - $1.5m in unused capspace, meaning that there would still be enough cap accrual by the deadline to still add a good player for the playoffs.

That said, it would require a decent enough add-on for it to be worth it for Colorado.

View attachment 345555

Very much appreciate the inquiry, but not sure how high we can go.
What is yr max # w/retention and without?
Also, are you sure you want to cut it that close on cap space?
Just in case emergency pops up?

Trust most of the Ranger fan base would meet you more than halfway if we can agree on any middle ground.
Also open to a package if we can first figure out BS value in vacuum.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Assessment of his production is overly optimistic.
He MAY have value as a grit depth guy.
NY has to pay to erase a year early.
How much is open to debate

We can pay the bonus and go up to half.
If we are doing that, I'm thinking like return of the 4th OTT ponied up Namest, something like that.

To date the record supports this, generally.

Very much appreciate the inquiry, but not sure how high we can go.
What is yr max # w/retention and without?
Also, are you sure you want to cut it that close on cap space?
Just in case emergency pops up?

Trust most of the Ranger fan base would meet you more than halfway if we can agree on any middle ground.
Also open to a package if we can first figure out BS value in vacuum.
Marleau's $6m cost a 1st so I suppose a 2021 2nd would be in the ballpark for $4.35m. Does that sound reasonable?

Alternatively you can retain some/pay the bonus and make it a 2021 3rd.

Not sure on the value, just throwing an idea out there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Marleau's $6m cost a 1st so I suppose a 2021 2nd would be in the ballpark for $4.35m. Does that sound reasonable?

Alternatively you can retain some/pay the bonus and make it a 2021 3rd.

Not sure on the value, just throwing an idea out there.

that middle ground sounds mutually doable
we'll do the 3rd and both the bonus 100% and some/all retention.
The more we retain one might think the more we should make it a 4th not a 3rd, but it's too little to quibble over, and I'd rather expedite some cap relief now with a deal, plus free up any mins he'd get for younger guys.

Reactions: Richard88

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019

There is no issue. Rangers fan base has been one of the worst fan bases in sports criticizing their players. First and foremost their defenseman. They constantly find whipping boys. Staal has been pretty solid 2 out of the last 3 years. They use useless stats like Corsi and other crap that all these stat geeks think evaluates a player. Is Staal a top 4 guy anymore? Probably not. However, he's perfectly fine on the PK unit and playing a 3rd pair role. He's a class act and a good leader. He has some trouble with speed guys at times but he hasn't made the countless amount of bonehead mistakes that some of the Rangers defenseman have made the past 3 years. Some is due to youth and inexperience. Staal with his contract ending is a good add for a playoff team hoping for a long run. He probably would cost a 4th rounder. That's it.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There is no issue. Rangers fan base has been one of the worst fan bases in sports criticizing their players. First and foremost their defenseman. They constantly find whipping boys. Staal has been pretty solid 2 out of the last 3 years. They use useless stats like Corsi and other crap that all these stat geeks think evaluates a player. Is Staal a top 4 guy anymore? Probably not. However, he's perfectly fine on the PK unit and playing a 3rd pair role. He's a class act and a good leader. He has some trouble with speed guys at times but he hasn't made the countless amount of bonehead mistakes that some of the Rangers defenseman have made the past 3 years. Some is due to youth and inexperience. Staal with his contract ending is a good add for a playoff team hoping for a long run. He probably would cost a 4th rounder. That's it.
its mostly been problems with his eye , he would prob be top 4 still if he didnt get that injury

Reactions: bernmeister

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Be careful about labeling the entire fan base due to comments by 'vocal' online minority. Yep there is a an active subset who always have a handful of 'whipping boys'
The Staal hate follows the Girardi hate, but these folks do not represent the entire fan base.
New York area fans are well known for aporeciating their long time guys.
Staal isn't what he was when younger, and hadnt had the concussion and eye injury, but has not actually merited the disrespect piled on him in some quarters.
I dont know if he'd accept a trade, but as re Smith yoo, at LHD, NYR has deep near-ready pipeline, 4 highly regarded guys at least will be waiting in the wings

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Be careful about labeling the entire fan base due to comments by 'vocal' online minority. Yep there is a an active subset who always have a handful of 'whipping boys'
The Staal hate follows the Girardi hate, but these folks do not represent the entire fan base.
New York area fans are well known for aporeciating their long time guys.
Staal isn't what he was when younger, and hadnt had the concussion and eye injury, but has not actually merited the disrespect piled on him in some quarters.
I dont know if he'd accept a trade, but as re Smith yoo, at LHD, NYR has deep near-ready pipeline, 4 highly regarded guys at least will be waiting in the wings
The Staal hate is disgusting. Reminds me of the Girardi hate. Two guys who got beat up badly to help the organization win a lot of important games, and the both of them get destroyed constantly. I just believe those fans are losers lol. Both of those guys did anything to win. You can't appreciate the way they played if you actually know nothing about winning. G used to purposely stand in front of Ovechkin in those series', games, etc, and just let him tee off on him on the PP. Warrior, both of them. Staal's wheels aren't the same, has issues pivoting, cutting, etc, but he's been a solid stay at home guy for DeAngelo this season, but nobody will look at that. It's DeAngelo carrying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad