Brendan Leipsic's Instagram Group – Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
*This thread is about an incident that took place involving Brendan Leipsic. Any off topic political posts will be deleted, and you may be thread banned and warned.*

Leipsic was part of a group chat and the messages show him making fun of & insulting current and former teammates, insulting women, & making pro-drug comments.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I just cant believe this is an issue. He called some girls fat. Big deal. The only real big no-no was chirping his teammates, altho after seeing that video the chirps were warranted... but probably should've kept that one in the locker room.

So many people acting holier than thou.

And then theres the whole breach of privacy issue, that's what there should be outrage over

Last edited:

Mumbo

Aug 6, 2013
I can't believe all the "this is a non-issue, this is common locker room talk". How can you be so close, yet so far from seeing the issue?

The fact that extreme misogyny, racism and homophobia is rampant and normalized across locker rooms is a huge issue. The fact that it's common does NOT make it right.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I can't believe all the "this is a non-issue, this is common locker room talk". How can you be so close, yet so far from seeing the issue?

The fact that extreme misogyny, racism and homophobia is rampant and normalized across locker rooms is a huge issue. The fact that it's common does NOT make it right.

Hockey culture. Not surprisingly see it here. Disappointed, but not surprising.

Locker room was like this when I played 20 years ago.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I just cant believe this is an issue. He called some girls fat. Big deal. The only real big no-no was chirping his teammates, altho after seeing that video the chirps were warranted... but probably should've kept that one in the locker room.

So many people acting holier than thou

This really should be between him, the people he was talking **** about and his teammates

Those are the people that have been effected (maybe the organization to) and those are the people he should be apologizing to if they want to hear it

I just don't see what that has to do with anybody else

Oh yeah, the person that leaked private messaging like that is an absolute **** as well

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I just dont see why the league itself needs to address this. He's barely an nhl player for starters.

Second, the club he plays for should address it if anyone.

Third, this dude just blacklisted himself. He doesnt have anywhere near the skill to make up for anything. Whether or not you agree his comments are serious, he wont touch ice again and people should move on unless they're directly affected.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The person that leaked this is just as much at fault as Leipsic. All the people hurt wouldn't be hurt if it wasn't released. But it's not about protecting the feelings of those people. It's about getting Leipsic. It's a hit job on a moron by a moron. National News!!!

member 300185

Hmmmm, strange. Things must be worse than when I played. Im 56 and been playing for 51 years including 3 years in Europe and not once, in any dressing room have my teammates ever said things like that. If anything, we would make fun at each other with harmless barbs like a buddy said "how did you see me open there"? To which I replied "you tell me, you were watching". Minor things like that. But not once did race ever come up and most of my teams were multi-racial in their make-up.

That is in the dressing room. On the ice is a different story. I have seen it all from name calling to fights in the stands. But all the players, even the idiots, didn't attack someone because they were over weight or ugly. Truth be told, none of it is ok. I coached all levels also and coach's often can't keep their own players in check. I remember a few cases over the years where I had to sit, suspend or release players for various things. This is not a players fault, or the coach's fault, its a parenting issue. One year at 3am in the morning a player knocked on my door. The wife let him in and he explained that his parents were on drugs and locked him out of the house. We let him sleep on the couch and got the police involved the next day. That boy is now considered my son and now has a family of his own and still calls me dad. I've been his foster parent since he was 10.

Ok, sorry for rambling but something needs to be done as this problem is clearly getting worse from years past.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Buddy, if you knew all the things your loved ones have said that they never intended you to hear... some stuff should remain private. How does airing these messages in national media help the people he's making fun of? It makes it 100000 times worse for them.
Lol... no, it’s gonna be 100000 times worse for Leipsic once hockey starts back up.
Im guessing there’s gonna be a couple reckonings on the ice.
He’s a dumbass for saying this crap, but even worse for saying it in print... might as well just make a video...lol... what a moron.
If you want to say things no one else should hear, say them to yourself, in your head, and no where else.
He deserves what he gets, just for being a massive dumbass

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Still don't see what the big deal is. Most who have been in a PRIVATE group chat would have said some questionable things to their close friends.

If you think this kind of talk in private conversations is different than most NHLers, boy you are in for a surprise. Alot of athletes aren't the Saints you like to think of them as.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Completely ridiculous to go after someone for something they said in a private chat. The messages should've never been leaked. Let's not act like even the best of us haven't said something rude behind someone's back. Of course the messages are awful and Leipsic seems like a total douche. He's a former WHL star who is a nobody in the NHL and on top of that is probably even more insecure with short guy syndrome. But I'll stand by my opinion that this is less of an issue than it's been made out to be.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This really should be between him, the people he was talking **** about and his teammates

Those are the people that have been effected (maybe the organization to) and those are the people he should be apologizing to if they want to hear it

I just don't see what that has to do with anybody else

Oh yeah, the person that leaked private messaging like that is an absolute **** as well

That logic frees you from any moral obligation though- that thinking could justify ignoring a whole host of shitty behaviors, so no, it’s not just between those discussed.

Look, if you’re more concerned over his buddy’s phone being hacked- well that’s a separate issue, one we’re not responsible for and have no power to change. It’s just a red herring to express outrage over that when it’s completely outside our power to affect in any way- the info is out there, legally it should not have been revealed in such a manner, legally it shoulda stayed private really- it’s up to our legal system to punish those responsible. As for us- we did nothing wrong, there’s nothing wrong with us reacting to this info. And people are simply saying Leipsic shouldn’t be such a raging douche because we like a society with fewer assholes. It’s not censoring, it’s not groupthink, it’s no pc police- it’s just “don’t be an asshole” in the age of the internet. Some people definitely take it too far, but people very much have a right and reason to be critical of Leipsic and the info revealed.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I just dont see why the league itself needs to address this. He's barely an nhl player for starters.

Second, the club he plays for should address it if anyone.

Third, this dude just blacklisted himself. He doesnt have anywhere near the skill to make up for anything. Whether or not you agree his comments are serious, he wont touch ice again and people should move on unless they're directly affected.

The alternative being the league stays silent then gets dragged over the coals for it's inaction. The NHL wants to be seen as family friendly - they don't want people to associate Leipsic's douchebaggery with hockey in general. Of course they are going to address it.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Lol... no, it’s gonna be 100000 times worse for Leipsic once hockey starts back up.
He’s a dumbass for saying this crap, but even worse for saying it in print... might as well just make a video...lol... what a moron.
If you want to say things no one else should hear, say them to yourself, in your head, and no where else.
He deserves what he gets, just for being a massive dumbass

Yes you're right, someone had a beef with Leipsic and decided to exact revenge on him by hacking a phone and distributing his private messages. Who's the criminal here? And who of us wouldn't have said something in private that we wouldn't want to be public?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Doubt it. Leipsic was a healthy scratch in the last seven Capitals games before the season was halted. He only saw double digit minutes in 3 games in February. He hadn't scored a goal since November 27th, and only had two points since the New Year. Leipsic was playing himself into the press box even before this flared up. He's almost certainly going to be banished now. The only way there's any on-ice retribution is if it happens at practice.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
1. Stop attacking "men" as a Group who says mean stuff. Like "its a men group thing to talk like this". Have you ever been part of a Group of drunken middle aged women? Or been there listening to college aged girls pillow-night talk? We are all choir boys compared to the chatting going on in those "Private groups".

2. Most of us have said something bad about our co-workers. Most of us have judged someones looks on tv/Tinder/bar with our friends. Heck, I do this stuff everyday with my wife when we are looking all those stupid reality-shows. If you havent said bad things about others on Private conversations then thats really good for you and admirable, but dont be naiive and think thats how the rest of the World Works.

3. Keep in mind that these were selected and edited takes of a unknown timeline From a Group chat, I dont want to instantly think that these guys speak like this about every woman and all the time. Today people always assume the worst. Most of us are not total jerks and deserve to be totally annihilated, but would Still get destroyed if our Private discussions were fully opened for the World and someone would hand pick and edit our top10 worst comments here. Do we want and do we really need to have this angry mob out there to shoot you down?

4. Still, what Leipsic said doesnt need to be defended. He acted like a jerk and has noone to blame but himself (and the little rat who leaked it out). Guy born in 94, he should know better the risks that involve Group chats and semi-celebrity status. What he said were really bad things and he said those on a platform where you can get exposed, while having an occupation that doesnt work out well with bad PR.

5. While the actions in itself doesnt deserve being defended, the interactions that this will cause are much larger than they should be. Does he really deserve to be driven out of his job, dream and life, for saying those things? Do we know him well enough to say yes?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

But but... Let's burn the person who leaked this at the stake. That's the real crime; exposing a shitty person for who he is.

Really, I'm shocked at the responses trying to defend him.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Seems that all the bling of the NHL got to his head. He is still a young kid ... some people take longer to mature. I am sure he would be ashamed of his actions in a couple of years. I am pretty sure that this is very common among the whole league private chats.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Seems that all the bling of the NHL got to his head. He is still a young kid ... some people take longer to mature. I am sure he would be ashamed of his actions in a couple of years. I am pretty sure that this is very common among the whole league private chats.
Or most likely, he's just a douche. Not trying to defend him, but let's not act like the world isn't filled with 25 year old assholes who act like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad