Brendan Dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
4 points from the defense today.
You got a sample of exactly what I want to see happening on a more regular basis. I want the other five guys doing exactly what Burns did for Goodrow occasionally. I'll grant one exception for Hannan as I don't think he will ever do a long breakout pass.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
You got a sample of exactly what I want to see happening on a more regular basis. I want the other five guys doing exactly what Burns did for Goodrow occasionally. I'll grant one exception for Hannan as I don't think he will ever do a long breakout pass.

Part of that is on the offense. Goodrow got behind the D and was yelling for the puck or so he said.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Part of that is on the offense. Goodrow got behind the D and was yelling for the puck or so he said.

I never let TM off the hook. A couple of years ago, he was staggering 3 forwards on one side at their own blueline. No chance for leakage if they wanted TOI. Basically, power through the NZ which isn't terribly effective as it destroys any speed they had. I have seen them spreading exits this year at least horizontally. It needs to be both a horizontal and vertical (eg what Goodrow did) spread to give them a chance at being fast through the NZ and generating clean entries. Part of spreading is execution. The demand for accuracy goes up a lot when spreading them out.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Alright this is starting to upset me (OCD and all).

Could OP/Mod change title to Brenden Dillon?

Back on topic, I'm so happy with this guy. Class act on and off the ice, and (with him re-signed) I think our LHD depth is set for years.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
That trade is looking better now that Dillon is settling in. Our top 4 has been transformed and I don't think it's a surprise that our last ten games we are 9-1 and Dillon was traded 12 games ago. Having to play Mueller, Hannan, Irwin in that 2nd left spot was killing us.

Nothing against Demers, but Dillon is proving to be a better asset in the long run.

The bottom pair is still pretty weak but they are getting very low minutes.

I'm a fan of this trade, even if I was against it in the beginning.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Interesting to go back 6 months and see what we thought of him then. Compared to some comments now on the speculation thread..

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Still a #4 dman. Don't know why he gets so much hate around here.

Really? I feel like he's cut a ton of slack around here. I see a lot of people saying he's young, give him time, play him in his position and give him a quality partner.

But, yeah, I'm not impressed at all.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
He is a young physical Dman. Sharks need him.
He hasn't really fit in very well yet. Hope he gets a steady partner.
I hope he learns to fight. He tries but isn't very good at it yet.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
who isn't....

This stuff is getting a tad ridiculous. 3 defensemen scored 60 points or more last year. Karlsson, Burns, and Subban. That is an incredibly rare feat. Any other fan base would be thrilled to have an offensive force like Burns on their roster. Instead we act like he's garbage... its insane.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I think the main reason is that he is not putting up the points that Demers was. And that is not a fair comparision as they are just different types of D-men.

If only. Whenever Dillon is/was on the ice , Sharks got lit up like crazy and their offense suffered. Hard/impossible to say how much can be blamed on him with the crapstorm of a season last year was but the end result didn't look pretty.
Guess we will be smarter next season but I'm not optimistic Dillon will be more than a bottom pair D at best here. I hope i'm wrong.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This stuff is getting a tad ridiculous. 3 defensemen scored 60 points or more last year. Karlsson, Burns, and Subban. That is an incredibly rare feat. Any other fan base would be thrilled to have an offensive force like Burns on their roster. Instead we act like he's garbage... its insane.

It is great that Burns can put up a lot of points. But that is coming at the expense of play in his own end. You win by outscoring the opponent, and that means defensive aptitude as well as offensive aptitude.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
It is great that Burns can put up a lot of points. But that is coming at the expense of play in his own end. You win by outscoring the opponent, and that means defensive aptitude as well as offensive aptitude.

Yet the Sharks get scored on even more whenever Dillon is on the ice but he doesn't put up points and he gets a pass around here. Bleh.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't buy into this idea that it's coming at the expense of play in his own end. Defensively, the team itself simply was not that good. Burns was not sacrificing defensive positioning for offensive chances. He'd take risks with the puck moving it up the ice but everything was mostly kept in front of him.

The team as a whole needs to improve defensively. The forwards had issues all year back-checking on the rush and having their guy. Even on in-zone defensive plays, they were losing their guys a ton and not collapsing back to the net to get their guy. Burns' partner most of the year was also not a guy that was any good defensively. Dillon was probably the best of the bunch and he wasn't that good acclimating to SJ and playing off of Burns.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Yet the Sharks get scored on even more whenever Dillon is on the ice but he doesn't put up points and he gets a pass around here. Bleh.

People hate on him so much hey make up stats about him :laugh:

D Brent Burns: 82GP | 99 TGA
D Brenden Dillon: 60GP | 60 TGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad