• Other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
not including rookies.... I dont consider rookie seasons as "breakout seasons"

thats said, I still left Blackwood since he played 23 last season

forgive me if I missed any candidates, I will add them if needed.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
For me, it's Jarry, simply because we didn't see it coming. And the impact he had on the Penguins for a long period of time is surreal.

HM to Vrana and DeAngelo. R. Strome's season is good, but getting to play with Panarin definitely helps.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Panarins immense talent on display with this poll.

However, for me it was between Jarry and
Svech.

Decided to go Svech because really has built an incredible 200 foot game. He has a presence every time he’s on the ice.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I would say Girard should be in the conversation. Pacing for ~45 points and has been the 1D for the Avs this year while being basically one of the best transition dmen in the league, and really rounding out his d game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Isn't Makar the Avs #1D?
Nope. Girard plays the most minutes and is the all round 1D for us. Makar plays a lot but still gets slightly more sheltered shifts. Makar is much better offensively but all round I think Girard is currently the better player. For now that is.

Reactions: John Johnson

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's Jarry quite clearly. Came out of nowhere, started destroying everyone, still destroys everyone. Will probably continue to destroy people at a rapid pace in the future.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Breakout player is a tough thing to define.
1) Is it the act of going from good to great player?
2) Is it emerging from the depths of the unknown to become a player that suddenly everyone knows?

I tend to lean towards #2.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Nope. Girard plays the most minutes and is the all round 1D for us. Makar plays a lot but still gets slightly more sheltered shifts. Makar is much better offensively but all round I think Girard is currently the better player. For now that is.

I mean, he's played 6 second more per game than Makar, and that would probably be less had Makar not had the shortened game when he got injured. Not to mention Girards ice time has become less the past 2 months as well as his pptoi. He doesn't play shtoi so he isn't that "all around."
Makars ice time has gone up and up.

Girard has had a good season but let's not act like many people would consider him the #1 dman in Colorado.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean, he's played 6 second more per game than Makar, and that would probably be less had Makar not had the shortened game when he got injured. Not to mention Girards ice time has become less the past 2 months as well as his pptoi. He doesn't play shtoi so he isn't that "all around."
Makars ice time has gone up and up.

Girard has had a good season but let's not act like many people would consider him the #1 dman in Colorado.
He’s currently the 1D? He plays in more all round situations than Makar, I mean that’s likely to change next season but this year it’s true. It’s also very clearly Girards breakout season hence my nomination for him in this thread.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Went Pionk here. I figured he was pretty much a throw in on the Trouba deal, I.E. a replacement of sorts so Winnipeg would still have 6 NHL calibre d-men.

Svech has been great, but as a former 2nd overall pick I am not exactly shocked he is doing this well. You had to figure someone with his talent was going to be putting up points like this and its only his second year - not like he had a MackInnon type of stretch of 4 seasons where he wasn't hitting his potential and drastically underperforming.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I feel like Konecny, Theodore, and Vrana had already broken out.

Of the remaining, Pionk and Jarry were the most surprising to me personally. Shout out to the monster season Svech is putting together, but it's hardly unexpected. In the end, went with Pionk because wow I did not see this coming. Pionk may end up DOUBLING his previous career high point total while playing 23+ mins a game.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Blackwood because I think his potential is higher

Rust otherwise

Vrana HM

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'll go with Konecny. But, I'd specify some criteria. A break-out by a young player such as Svech doesn't really qualify for me, he's at a point significant natural progression is expected. Secondly, the next question is, is this season for real or an aberration. The prime example here is R. Strome riding a high-oiSH% and playing primarily with a top offensive player in the league. I don't like the odds of repeatability, especially if he's not with Panarin or a comparable player. Jarry is impressive, but I really have no faith in whether this is really him or its a hot-stretch.

Konecny is at the right age, playing on a good team so he isn't inflating raw-totals playing on a bad team getting a ton of minutes, has a previously high-pedigree where a breakout makes sense. I mean, its not really a breakout season if it just turns out to be a career year which the player never comes close to matching again. So, when that is all factored I'm going Konecny, not that others don't have valid arguments, a very similar one could be made for Vrana. I guess I just think Konecny is more likely to maintain playing at this level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Svechnikov.

DeAngelo has had an extremely good year. He might be #2.

Strome is not a breakout player. He's playing with Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad