Breaking the Plane = Goal. Thoughts?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What sounds so bad about it, other than the fact that its different?

Oh, I agree there is a fundamental problem with the way the game is played (and called) nowadays. This idea isnt to take the place of the fact that too much interferece is allowed.

I was just watching NFL this afternoon and wondered why breaking the plane is normal in that sport but not in hockey.

see post just above yours here. Its a completely different situation defending a goal line vs defending a net. Its not some terrible idea, I just think if a goalie can react well enough to stop a puck that just barely gets a bit behind him, he should have a legit chance to make the save. Breaking the plane would make a lot of those saves into goals, and imo a big goal line save is every bit as exciting as a goal.

Also, what about glove saves? How often do you think a goalie glove is on the plane of the goal line when he makes a save?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Football is different because the defense can stand on the other side of the goal line though. In this, there is a metal frame stopping the goalie from backing up to compensate. As is, the puck pretty much needs to be completely past the goalie to be a goal. A puck could very easily break the plane of the line without actually getting fully past the goalie.
Yeah, I dont disagree. Good points. Actually, maybe another idea is to move the goal-line out slightly so that the back-edge of the goal line is in line with the middle of the post, and require the entire puck to cross. It still would only result in more garbage goals, but its not a fundamental change.

there's something emotionally satisfying about it having to be all the way over.
Ha, you know, this reason actually has more merit than it probably should.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
see post just above yours here. Its a completely different situation defending a goal line vs defending a net. Its not some terrible idea, I just think if a goalie can react well enough to stop a puck that just barely gets a bit behind him, he should have a legit chance to make the save. Breaking the plane would make a lot of those saves into goals, and imo a big goal line save is every bit as exciting as a goal.

Also, what about glove saves? How often do you think a goalie glove is on the plane of the goal line when he makes a save?
Glove saves would likely still be deemed inconclusive until they put a sensor in the puck
If you can't explain why there would be more goals, then why are you even proposing this?
If I need to explain why this would result in more goals, you're obviously not going to understand. Sorry.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Glove saves would likely still be deemed inconclusive until they put a sensor in the puck

If I need to explain why this would result in more goals, you're obviously not going to understand. Sorry.

I just don't think its worth it if thats the only outcome. I think you lose more big saves than you create exciting goals.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Bigger ice

This, but don't move to a single standard, but:

1- Set an allowable range from the current NHL size to something larger like international size.
2- Require all new NHL arenas to accommodate the max size.

This would let the teams decide on their rink, and open up building different team styles. Plus, we'd get to argue whether a team built for international rink size can win the cup over a team with traditional size until the cows come home.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just add a second line the exact size of a puck from the current line.

The puck has to break that plane.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Just add a second line the exact size of a puck from the current line.

The puck has to break that plane.

121294850.jpeg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This, but don't move to a single standard, but:

1- Set an allowable range from the current NHL size to something larger like international size.
2- Require all new NHL arenas to accommodate the max size.

This would let the teams decide on their rink, and open up building different team styles. Plus, we'd get to argue whether a team built for international rink size can win the cup over a team with traditional size until the cows come home.

bigger rinks tend to actually slow things down don't they? You can't add more dangerous space, so you just push more of the game to the perimeter.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Instead of calling penalties, award goals. Instant rise in goals per game.

You're welcome.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
No, because sometimes that'd be extremely difficult to decide... You're talking about the even single slightest bit in the net... which how can you tell if it's, let's say; in a glove?

Basically, if it isn't broke; why fix it?

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
It's interesting until you realize what you're suggesting would be basically no different than suggesting moving the nets forward a couple inches.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
It's interesting until you realize what you're suggesting would be basically no different than suggesting moving the nets forward a couple inches.
Yeah, pretty much.

There would be 40 reviews every game. Seriously, there would be.
No there wouldnt.

What would this add? One goal, per week, league-wide?
Yeah, pretty much. Its not a major idea. Just a thought after watching a football game.

I do kind of like the idea of moving up the goal line to line up the back of it with the middle of the post. Again it wouldnt add that many more goals, but the puck would still have to completely cross the goal line and just get more than 50% past the post. The goal line is what goals are measured against, so having the middle of the post as the goal would be an easy minor change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad