Breaking Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyphan

Oct 12, 2005
philly-temple
I use a wood stick for ice and roller hockey and I break a stick atleast every other game, always while shooting. They break in the middle of the shaft right above my lower hand. Any ideas why I am doing this and how I can stop it? :help: Thanks.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
phillyphan said:
I use a wood stick for ice and roller hockey and I break a stick atleast every other game, always while shooting. They break in the middle of the shaft right above my lower hand. Any ideas why I am doing this and how I can stop it? :help: Thanks.
Probably too low of a flex. And the fact that its wood doesnt help. Go with a shaft and wood blade.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
your flex too low, get a harder stick. Also it has nothing to do with wood, one piece sticks brake often for no reason.

Rico__Persson*

Yes, it doesn't have anything to do with wood. Like everyone said, go with a stiff stick. You'll probably get more on your shot.

Look for wood stick reinforced with fibreglass on the sides. They are stronger, but watch for splinters. I've had a piece of firbergalss in my finger for 10 years...got it off a stick.

Also, a composite blade would last longer in roller hockey.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Composite sticks are more durable than wood. As long as your in a "senior" shaft, flex will not effect durability. Infact, a lower flex shouldn't break as easily. Try out a shaft with wood blade, or else switch to a different type of wood stick. Keep juggling till you find something you like. Maybe a wood stick with reinforment like a Sherwood 9950.

phillyphan

Oct 12, 2005
philly-temple
Pavel said:
You must have wicked shot.

when my stick doesnt break i do. i actually cost us a game from that the other day. they passed it back to me right oround the top of the circle with about 10 seconds left and im sure i would have scored if my stick wouldnt have broke and we would have went into overtime

phillyphan

Oct 12, 2005
philly-temple
EazyB97 said:
Composite sticks are more durable than wood. As long as your in a "senior" shaft, flex will not effect durability. Infact, a lower flex shouldn't break as easily. Try out a shaft with wood blade, or else switch to a different type of wood stick. Keep juggling till you find something you like. Maybe a wood stick with reinforment like a Sherwood 9950.

i have tryed everything and never really liked the feel as much as a all wood stick. when i play with a composite stick it doesnt feel like i have anything in my hands. how do u tell what the flex is?

phillyphan

Oct 12, 2005
philly-temple
i think it has something to do with the way i shoot. maybe i catch to much of the floor? but then i would think my shot, as far as mechanics, would be pretty much the same everytime from playing so long and if i caught to much floor i wouldnt have one of the hardest shots in the league like i do when my stick isnt breaking...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The sticks will say the flex on them. If you like the feel off wood, look into the Tri-Cores. Should be cheap because they are discontinued. Graphite shaft, wrapped in wood. Sticks are tanks.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It really depends on how you shoot the puck. If you're hammering it, but you're leaning on the stick too much you'll weaken the stick (especially with the wood sticks). So if you're holding on too long (in terms of flexing the stick), that might be doing it.

That probably makes no sense...but if it did, I did the same thing, had full lean on one of my sticks on one leg and it shattered...and I fell on my face...it sucked.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
I had the same problem that you have and switching to a 2-piece composite took care of the problem.

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
EazyB97 said:
The sticks will say the flex on them. If you like the feel off wood, look into the Tri-Cores. Should be cheap because they are discontinued. Graphite shaft, wrapped in wood. Sticks are tanks.

I've sold these shafts for a few years now and I've heard and seen that they are like twigs and break all the time.

I think you should definately go with a much stiffer flex, even some wood sticks can have a pretty stiff edge to them. However you have to realize that with time wood sticks will get chipped and water may get into the stick, causing it to dry out. This may also lead to breaking. If I were you, I would head on down to your local pro shop, flex a two piece (shaft+blade combo) and one piece (all graphite) sticks and see which one you like.

On Easton sticks the flex is anywhere from 85-110 in adult. 85 being more whippy than a 110.

CCM sticks will say either whip, stiff, or regular.

Louisvilles will be the same as CCM.

Bauer sticks range from 87-112 in adult. Nothing different from the Easton basically.

Other than that try it out, grab one of your buddie's sticks during warm ups and test it out to see if you like it.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
pck21 said:
I've sold these shafts for a few years now and I've heard and seen that they are like twigs and break all the time.

I think you should definately go with a much stiffer flex, even some wood sticks can have a pretty stiff edge to them. However you have to realize that with time wood sticks will get chipped and water may get into the stick, causing it to dry out. This may also lead to breaking. If I were you, I would head on down to your local pro shop, flex a two piece (shaft+blade combo) and one piece (all graphite) sticks and see which one you like.

On Easton sticks the flex is anywhere from 85-110 in adult. 85 being more whippy than a 110.

Bauer sticks range from 87-112 in adult. Nothing different from the Easton basically.

Other than that try it out, grab one of your buddie's sticks during warm ups and test it out to see if you like it.

From personal experience the Easton 110 X-Flex's seem kinda fragile. They have great stiffness and what not, but once you really start leaning, instead of flexing to the force it kinda just makes cracking noises. Might just be me though.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
pck21 said:

The Tri-Cores? I've had a number of them, for shafts, they are up there for the best durability along with the Mission Dangler and old Ultra-Lites. I used the older model for the Tri-Cores, so I haven't tried the aspen core.

CCM flexes are now measured in KP. This is from a rep at CCM

50KP/X-stiff = roughly 125 pro flex
45KP/Stiff = roughly 110
40KP/Regular = roughly 100
35KP/Mid = roughly 85
30KP/Light = even softer flex
20KP/Junior = junior flex

TPS are similar, but a bit different

I'd take about "5" off (from an Easton scale) for each one. The Whip and Regular are definately "Whippier" than their RBK/CCM counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad