Breaking down the 2022 1st rd prospects - pt.1 CENTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
My ranking and thoughts

1. NHL "draft expert"-columnists have gotten to the point of not even being funny anymore. Collectively, it'd be hard to find a niche profession in worse shape.

-#1 Connor Geekie. He seems to pretty clearly be one of the top-3 centers in this draft. He's got great hand-eye. A great shot. A great passer. A great handler. A good brain. Great size. Solid skater. When he fills out--he's going to be a nightmare.

-#2 Noah Ostlund. Looks a little like Luke Raymond at center. No idea why he's been so overlooked. Great skill. Great shot. Great IQ. Great effort. Great skater.

-#3 Nathan Gaucher. Just a step below Geekie, IMO. Big center with a lot of skill who is going to fill out nicely.

-#4 Frank Nazar. My favorite of the small centers behind Ostlund. Tons of skill, speed, effort. Really like him.

-#5 Logan Cooley. Maybe I should have him ahead of Nazar. He's right there. Probably will be picked out of our range anyways.

-#6 Shane Wright. Don't really get it. He's a sniper and he'll do well on a PP. But I see him as a below average defender who is about average at the next level in every other regard. Will probably be an okay top-6 center for 7 or so yrs.

-#7 Matthew Savoie. He's interesting. I just don't really see him being able to do what he does against NHL talent and size though.

-#8 *Luca Del Bel Belluz. Asterisk because there's not much tape. Looks intriguing though. Another really big center with skill who will fill out nicely.

-#9 Owen Beck. He looks like a pretty solid NHL'er to me. Maybe a 3rd line guy. I wouldn't mind him as a 2nd rd pick, or 2nd 1st rd pick.

-#10 Filip Bystedt. Not much tape on him. Hard to see what's special.

-#11 Marco Kasper. Don't get him at all. He's just a poor man's Holmstrom in front of the net in all his footage.

-#12 Cutter Gauthier. Poor man's Rasmussen. Not joking. Don't get his hype one bit.

Last edited:

blueadams

May 30, 2011
geekie's ceiling could be a getzlak like player. Calling him a "great handler" is a bit of a stretch tho
I thought Kopitar first time I saw him. Getzlaf was a killer. Geekie doesn't seem to have that physical-ness potential

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Either way. The 4 best centers in the draft...IMO...Geekie, Ostlund, Gaucher and Nazar should all be there at 8. I don't think any are true #1's though. But Yzerman'll have a chance to get whoever he thinks the best center in the draft is maybe

blueadams

May 30, 2011
LOL calling Conor Geekie a solid skater is a joke, His skating is atrocious at best. No thanks on Geekie. Next.
Looks more than fine to me for a kid his size and age. He probably wouldnt be universally considered a mid-1st rd pick if his skating was "atrocious at best" would he? Go watch some tape of 18yr old Kopitar and get back to me, Kenny

I saw Ostlund and Gaucher before Wright and just
Watch tape and tell me why Wright is better? (Don't just repeat things idiot writers tell you, please. Actually watch their tape).

Reactions: Ulysses31

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wright's stock may not be what it once was, but he is 6th on your list for just centers? Come on! I am not very knowledgeable about prospects as it is hard to get info on most of them other than highlight videos, but this just seems like the kind of thing that is sad just to get attention. Not saying he will be great, but all prospects have negative aspects to their games, and no way he is only the 6th best center in this draft, which would then take the projected #1 overall into the 15-30 category overall.

Reactions: RRhoads

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
People will hate this but I agree with a lot of this. I like Geekie's skating, it's not elegant but his top speed for a tall guy is excellent, I just don't have him as high as you for other reasons. I have Ostlund as my #1 prospect currently so I'll definitely agree with your ranking here. I disagree with your take on Savoie, but I don't think you're necessarily "wrong", it's just that I think a lot of his game will translate well to the NHL, so we'll see. Also, yeah, not a fan of Kasper or Wright either, but I'd probably still take Wright top 5 based on his talent alone. His wrist shot is incredible I think he has decent IQ but nothing like this "high-end" IQ that I've heard about. His defense is good but overrated. The Bergeron comparisons are insane.

I still have a lot of watching to do (started really late this year) but these are my current opinions. Will probably change over time.

I'm curious about your wingers and defensemen now.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueadams

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
People will hate this but I agree with a lot of this. I like Geekie's skating, it's not elegant but his top speed for a tall guy is excellent, I just don't have him as high as you for other reasons. I have Ostlund as my #1 prospect currently so I'll definitely agree with your ranking here. I disagree with your take on Savoie, but I don't think you're necessarily "wrong", it's just that I think a lot of him game will translate well to the NHL, so we'll see. Also, yeah, not a fan of Kasper or Wright either, but I'd probably still take Wright top 5 based on his talent alone. His wrist shot is incredible I think he has decent IQ but nothing like this "high-end" IQ that I've heard about. His defense is good but overrated. The Bergeron comparisons are insane.
Lollipops uh huh huh huh huh huh uh h ppl my l hmm you my uh I just ok HBO can sell on my. Mm?n
I still have a lot of watching to do (started really late this year) but these are my current opinions. Will probably change over time.

What is it you don't like about Geekie

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
What is it you don't like about Geekie
Just his decision-making is hit or miss. He sometimes take bad decisions based on his lack of awareness. Also, he's a bit of a floater sometimes.

His potential is excellent if he fixes those. He has excellent hands at top speed and has a sneaky good deceptive aspect to his game.

Take this with a grain of salt, though. I've only watched 2 of his games. I'll watch him and Savoie again vs Cossa this friday :)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just his decision-making is hit or miss. He sometimes take bad decisions based on his lack of awareness. Also, he's a bit of a floater sometimes.

His potential is excellent if he fixes those. He has excellent hands at top speed and has a sneaky good deceptive aspect to his game.

Take this with a grain of salt, though. I've only watched 2 of his games. I'll watch him and Savoie again vs Cossa this friday :)
It could be just because he has some speed issues. If he could improve his first step, I have no idea about development staff, he might fix those issues. I know for sure , his hockey IQ is high

Reactions: Realgud

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
It could be just because he has some speed issues. If he could improve his first step, I have no idea about development staff, he might fix those issues. I know for sure , his hockey IQ is high
I think his IQ is high relative to the entire draft but for a top center, I think his IQ is good but not great. I'll reevaluate this friday. I agree about his first step. I think he has very good top speed but his mobility and acceleration are lacking, but not deal breakers, at least imo.

Reactions: lilidk

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Wright's stock may not be what it once was, but he is 6th on your list for just centers? Come on! I am not very knowledgeable about prospects as it is hard to get info on most of them other than highlight videos, but this just seems like the kind of thing that is sad just to get attention. Not saying he will be great, but all prospects have negative aspects to their games, and no way he is only the 6th best center in this draft, which would then take the projected #1 overall into the 15-30 category overall.
Hes the best center in the draft now. By a very wide margin when he was 15. By a razor thin margin now.

Id rather bet on what the other 5 will be 5 yrs from now than on him. Yes.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
People will hate this but I agree with a lot of this. I like Geekie's skating, it's not elegant but his top speed for a tall guy is excellent, I just don't have him as high as you for other reasons. I have Ostlund as my #1 prospect currently so I'll definitely agree with your ranking here. I disagree with your take on Savoie, but I don't think you're necessarily "wrong", it's just that I think a lot of him game will translate well to the NHL, so we'll see. Also, yeah, not a fan of Kasper or Wright either, but I'd probably still take Wright top 5 based on his talent alone. His wrist shot is incredible I think he has decent IQ but nothing like this "high-end" IQ that I've heard about. His defense is good but overrated. The Bergeron comparisons are insane.

If you actually just watch these guys play and ignore the horrible writers' group think.. you come to about the same conclusion.

Reactions: Realgud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad