Breakaways/Shootouts

• Thread starter Redden Hogalot*
  • Start date

leafsrok

Feb 3, 2007
most of those are just ridiculous! not many people would ever have the guts to do that in a game. im pretty sure that goalie was told not to stop any of those.
ps
that glove throwing move, was one of the most pityful things i've ever seen

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
im pretty sure that goalie was told not to stop any of those.

Yeah, he didn't even look like he waws trying on a few of those. Any number of those deeks 1/2 foot in front of the goalie would have prometed an immediate stick check on the goalies part.

donelikedinner

Jan 25, 2003
In a house
Visit site
That goalie either really sucks or was paid to let them go in

agreed. a competitive goalie would have stopped all of those ridiculously lame moves. the best way to be an effective scorer on penalty shots is moving in with speed and a lively stick. coasting in and holding the puck favors the goalie.

RJ8812*

that goalies sucks.....

meh, i dont really try anything fancy, 90% of the time i shoot 5-hole, and 90% of the time i score

so if it aint broke, dont fix it

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I have basically 3 or 4 breakaway moves and they really only depend on which angle im coming in. The big thing is to make a fake and keep your head up, a lot of the time a quick wrist shot low will burn a goalie, personally i prefer the Datsyuk where you fake the shot and drag it with the backhand.

As for that video that was more one sided then Brett Hull taking a one timer on that 8 year old a few months ago.......

Muttley*

instead of being mesmerized by all those fancy moves, goalie could have kept it simple and stopped them all with a simple poke-check.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
Skinner hockey's been posted before; it's pure gimmick. The goalie isn't even trying on any of those shots, and you'd never have a chance to pull them off in a game situation. (In a shootout/penalty shot, maybe, but even then the goalie's going to have to be pretty bad not to stop you.)

It's essentially just an ad for Skinner's stickhandling school/DVDs; it looks flashy, especially to beginners, but if the classes/DVDs are anything like the videos on the website, I gotta think you'd be better off paying for power skating lessons or something you might actually use.

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006
That was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. There's like 5 or 6 moves that work 90% of the time... I'd just stick to those.

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
I agree about the skinner video -- it's more an ad for the stickhandling skills he can teach you than a way to score in shootouts. Effective skating is more important but once you're a proficient skater it's the stickhandling that takes you to the next level. I find I'm mostly happy with my skating but wish I could handle the puck better, especially when I'm going fast.

As for shootouts, my favorite move is real simple. I'm a right-handed shot and I take the puck over to the left side, deke like I'm going to sweep wide with the forehand to the glove side but then cut it short and stuff it in underneath the blocker with the forehand. Against a really good goalie it usually doesn't work, but in my rec league I've had decent success with it. The idea is to get the keeper to commit to the big lateral movement to the glove side, then put it where he was, not where he's going.

Redden Hogalot*

I know the goalie sucks ****, but they're just ideas. If any of you have the guts to try them. Lol

Nov 28, 2006
Back when I had speed, I was great on Breakaways, but I don't know now. Used to just skate real hard, fake snapshot, go backhand :)

As for the video, that's gotta be Dan Cloutier & Esche's illegitimate child or something :sarcasm:...

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006
It's not all about speed, it's about angles too. If you come in at the right angle, it's easy to get a goalie down and moving side to side, which usually opens up 5-hole/the whole top of the net.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
It's not all about speed, it's about angles too. If you come in at the right angle, it's easy to get a goalie down and moving side to side, which usually opens up 5-hole/the whole top of the net.
Most goalies, especially in rec leagues, are weakest moving side to side; if you can get them to move that way, you have a huge advantage.

On breakaways you often don't have the luxury of sweeping wide to get a good angle, though; you just have to go straight in, or the D will catch you and force you outside.

The most effective move IME is to prevent the goalie from predicting what you'll do. Watch someone like Pavel Datsyuk on a breakaway (not a penalty shot/shootout); he doesn't make any fancy moves at all, he keeps the puck moving, so the goalie has to track it, but he also always has the puck in a shooting position, so the goalie can't ever tell if he's going to shoot or deke.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I agree about the skinner video -- it's more an ad for the stickhandling skills he can teach you than a way to score in shootouts. Effective skating is more important but once you're a proficient skater it's the stickhandling that takes you to the next level. I find I'm mostly happy with my skating but wish I could handle the puck better, especially when I'm going fast.

As for shootouts, my favorite move is real simple. I'm a right-handed shot and I take the puck over to the left side, deke like I'm going to sweep wide with the forehand to the glove side but then cut it short and stuff it in underneath the blocker with the forehand. Against a really good goalie it usually doesn't work, but in my rec league I've had decent success with it. The idea is to get the keeper to commit to the big lateral movement to the glove side, then put it where he was, not where he's going.

Practice on foot, first start by standing still with your head up going back and forth as fast as you can. Then start pulling it back and forth on angles. One thing i always do is push the puck from the heel straight, catch it on the toe and snap it right back. Once you start getting the hang of it practice doing them while moving. A lot of the fancier moves you aren't moving at full speed, but once you make the move you gotta be able to kick it into gear.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
gotta love it....the comments I see above are why I paid Stefan Popa to teach my youngest son his Breakaway technique. Lord knows he wouldnt listen to me so.... A shooter has no clue what to do when he faces a goalie who will NOT make the first move, waits for you in control rather than being dicatated to by the the shooter.

The worst part about that video...the goalie is wearing the same Heatons I have. Who ever it is...either was paid to fail or just plain SUCKS.

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
The two moves that I would use judging by that video are the second and third one. I have had experience using and scoring with fourth one. That was a good video though although some of those goals were softies that the goalie shouldn't have been faked out on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad