Post-Game Talk: Bread Truck Delivery

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Shoutout to the reporter asking Laviolette today about Jack Roslovic's ice time last night. Guy(or gal) clearly has his finger on the pulse.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
The Kings won 2014 playing a relentless heavy style where we couldn't clear the puck for shit out of our zone and they kept play alive and threw the puck towards the net over and over until we wilted.
Also AV had them playing kind of a prevent defense, which didn't work.

Reactions: will1066

AK 27

I shoot puck. Puck go in net. I score goal.
Apr 15, 2015
NYC
I'll just say this one thing and leave it at that...

The Caps played almost as good as they're going to play in the last game and the Rangers played average. The Rangers still won the game. It's not a recipe for things going forward but it does tell you that the Rangers are the better team - in my opinion. That's what better teams can do.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vally has us beating Washington by 1.2 expected goals, can everyone from last night stop whining now?

Again, I think people would have been cool with this game with out the stupid TMM penalty.

Let’s not act like this is the first time they’ve made a brain fart like that this year. We’re lucky the caps aren’t very good.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, that is weird. Are the analytics incorrect or incomplete? What do you make of it?
I do think that there are legitimate flaws. The Rangers do just let their opponents dictate too much. Letting the opponent have the puck invites trouble. If they have the puck and they're attempting shots, you don't know what's gonna go in, even if you're controlling quality.

At the same time, no single metric has a perfect grasp on what quality is. As Valiquette has explained them, I do think his metrics have an excellent grasp on how the goaltender is affected which is a good measure of quality.

The Rangers have to be better at quality than traditional xG indicate. They have the 5th most wins in the last 246 games. I do think they lean really heavily on royal road, however, and their weaknesses in generating and preventing other types of looks is something that can be exploited.

The Hurricanes are the opposite. They don't care about quality at all, they just chuck. Is it good to have the puck? Yes, but we've seen them be exploited.

Reactions: Jaromir Jagr

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Again, I think people would have been cool with this game with out the stupid TMM penalty.

Let’s not act like this is the first time they’ve made a brain fart like that this year. We’re lucky the caps aren’t very good.

Could go both ways. Vesey missed an ENG with 3 minutes left and McCauley let 3 blatant penalties go against us off the top of my head. Im not nitpicking a playoff win where we were the better team throughout. There will be plenty of time for that when we eventually lose a game.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Vally has us beating Washington by 1.2 expected goals, can everyone from last night stop whining now?
Naturalstatrick has the Rangers at a 1.1xG advantage. So basically the same.

We are talking about all strengths here. So I don’t think there’s as much of a difference between the two models as is being made out to be.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

We are talking about all strengths here. So I don’t think there’s as much of a difference between the two models as is being made out to be.

The only analytic I care about this time of year is the final score, if we're being honest

Reactions: Vaheh and TominNC

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I’m not paid to care about anything other than results. A win is a win is a win.

Reactions: lilphildub

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Would have also been happy without Wennberg trying to dipsy doodle standing still at the offensive blueline which resulted in a turnover that went down the ice and the possession that led to the Caps 3rd goal

Bro just put it in deep, you're not making a play at that point

Prediction time. Ovechkin is eventually gonna slam home a clapper on the power play and then scream like he just won the cup and the national team announcers will be all "oh baby Ovechkin's back! he's a true difference maker and he's on a roll now!" and then we won't notice him again

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m not paid to care about anything other than results. A win is a win is a win.
B1kit6Yg.jpg

Jjksport

Jul 22, 2014

you can see the hit perfectly from behind @ the 3 sec mark, that he hits Oshie's front shoulder with his shoulder.
I liked Panarin’s compete level and he absolutely dangled around several guys and also had a really nice set up to Laf that he fanned on with an open net. That hit on Oshie was beautiful especially given the context of how Oshie was going at him several times and getting away with dirty shit all game
Did anyone else notice Oshie shooting the puck up at Panarin's head after he touched the puck to stop play on a Capitals penalty in the 2nd. That caused Panarin to turn back towards him and bump Oshie.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
When we are down by one, with our goalie pulled, Fox makes great plays to keep the puck in at the blue line and everyone cheers. The Caps have Carlson. He did a great job keeping the puck in. It's a fine line when the other team pulls their goalie. You want to blast the puck out but you don't want to ice it. Our forwards iced the puck every time they attempted to clear it.
It wasn't all the caps making good plays. There were plenty of opportunities to get the puck out of the zone and turned over. I don't think anybody was asking them to blast the puck, but they had opportunities where they weren't even touched and made bad decisions.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

Yeah I mean it wasn’t pretty at 5v5. Not a great look against a team icing Mcilwrath

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
you can see the hit perfectly from behind @ the 3 sec mark, that he hits Oshie's front shoulder with his shoulder.

Did anyone else notice Oshie shooting the puck up at Panarin's head after he touched the puck to stop play on a Capitals penalty in the 2nd. That caused Panarin to turn back towards him and bump Oshie.
I feel like I’m in bizarro world. Was there any head contact at all? If so, I have yet to see it.

I see the back of Panarin’s shoulder hitting Oshie squarely in the chest/shoulder. No head contact at all.

The refs reviewed the play and didn’t even give him two minutes. What’s the controversy?

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Random point from attending the game last night that may have already been mentioned previously...

MSG adding an electronic techno beat to Baba O'Riley has killed the song. They need to revert back immediately.

Reactions: Greg02

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Random point from attending the game last night that may have already been mentioned previously...

MSG adding an electronic techno beat to Baba O'Riley has killed the song. They need to revert back immediately.
Makes me wonder if there is a licensing issue at play.

thesnake

Apr 25, 2007
New Vernon
Hahahaha. Oh please, Wilson was just upset that the refs didn't buy his terrible act when he when he grabbed the stick and held it against his groin while pretending Cuylle just gave him a vasectomy. That team is such a bunch of dirtbags with the acting and diving, and the bitching when they get "out physical-ed."

DITTO
100% this. He gets a love tap of a cup check and you'd think he was cut in half. What a complete bitch move that was... especially from someone who is supposed to be a tough guy.

Reactions: bhamill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad