Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Then explain Absinthe.
Completely different roots.

Abstinent comes from the French "abstinere" meaning "to be sober."

Absinthe comes from the Greek "apsinthion" meaning "undrinkable," referring to the bitter taste of the plant Artemisia Absinthium. Somebody then had the idea to take the undrinkable plant and turn it into a drink, and he made lots of money.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I loved seeing another controller disconnected moment from Ovi on the Miller goal.it was great.The guy doesn't give 2 shits anymore when the puck isn't on his stick...not like he ever really did to begin with

Reactions: tiggles

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
That’s the thing, I think people are underestimating how bad this Washington team is. If this game happened against any other playoff team it wouldn’t have been as big of a deal. Plus they have been missing Jensen and Sandin, two of their 3 best defenseman. If they both return and the Rangers play like that going forward it might not end up in a win again. The rangers have to bring far more than they did last night going forward.
The Caps aren't a great team, but they were better than about half the teams in the NHL this year (tied for 15th OA, technically ABOVE AVERAGE out of 32 teams) and played strong enough at the end of the season to gain a playoff spot. Let's also stop pretending they are San Jose... or Chicago or Anaheim...
AND the Caps played in the east which obviously had fewer games against the likes of those three doormats.

Reactions: Ned Braden

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And the thing is, this team didn't get all-world goaltending this year.

GAR and GSAx both rank Igor between 10th and 15th, and Quick somewhere in the 20's.

They were good, but it's not like the Hank years.

We got borderline top-10 goaltending and won 55 games with shitty analytics. Something is amiss.

Our shooting was 19th and our PDO was 18th. We weren't a lucky team.

And we're getting fed insider info directly from the guy with his own model who says we're a top-10 team.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Completely different roots.

Abstinent comes from the French "abstinere" meaning "to be sober."

Absinthe comes from the Greek "apsinthion" meaning "undrinkable," referring to the bitter taste of the plant Artemisia Absinthium. Somebody then had the idea to take the undrinkable plant and turn it into a drink, and he made lots of money.
Well when you add psychoactive herbs, NO one gives a f*** how it tastes...

Reactions: aufheben

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The team played well over much of the season.

Now they will be playing the best teams. Bad puck management as was on display last night at times won't help.

To be honest the team was a bit "weird" this year...they often played the good teams very tough and evenly and stayed discplined.

then they'd play a bad team and it'd be sloppy goofy shit all over the ice.

They tend to play to the level of their opponent for whatever reason, so I'm not that worried about them not being able to rise to the challenge of a good team assuming they get past the 1st round

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I don't see a problem. Why go all out and spend everything in the tank on a bad team? They were still good enough to come out on top both times despite not playing their A game. If Jensen and Sandin were in there and made things tougher, the team would have played to the level required to win.
As I see Pesce and Bennet already added to the IR list, I truly couldn't give a shit how 'decisive' a short series is by any metric other than wins and losses, and health.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

GAR and GSAx both rank Igor between 10th and 15th, and Quick somewhere in the 20's.

We got borderline top-10 goaltending and won 55 games with shitty analytics. Something is amiss.

And we're getting fed insider info directly from the guy with his own model who says we're a top-10 team.
There are certainly things this team could do better but yeah...I do think there is something to trying to generate higher quality chances even at the expense of shots and doing your best to eliminate higher quality chances for the other team even if it means giving up more low or medium chances.

If you could put Steve's stuff together with some public analytics then maybe we'd have a super team

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
As I see Pesce and Bennet already added to the IR list, I truly couldn't give a shit how 'decisive' a short series is by any metric other than wins and losses, and health.

After 2 games, we're in the best possible shape, imo. Our health bar is at 100, we even have players coming back and waiting in the wings. Their heart-and-soul player has 1 shot on goal through 2 games. Trouba is not playing with Miller. Zibanejad is awake. Panarin is Trouba. Our ugliest player is Brad Pitt by Seth Jarvis standards. Other teams are already at war with each other in their series, losing key players.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
My feelings summed up perfectly.

Yeah, maybe on an island but I was not even kind of nervous during that last shift tbh. Caps got nothing. We were much more a threat to score an EN than they were to tie IMO.
100%.
The Rangers are playing with a confidence, an edge, and a chip on their shoulder that gets bigger with every win.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
If we go to the very end, Trouba and Lindgren got praised for how they defended and played with a ton of heart to get the win, but it was completely ignored that they had to because in the 15 attempts to clear the puck, they hit 0 clears. ZERO!
When we are down by one, with our goalie pulled, Fox makes great plays to keep the puck in at the blue line and everyone cheers. The Caps have Carlson. He did a great job keeping the puck in. It's a fine line when the other team pulls their goalie. You want to blast the puck out but you don't want to ice it. Our forwards iced the puck every time they attempted to clear it.

Reactions: will1066

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Their attitude and demeanor has been noticeable from the drop of the puck in game 1. They're playing nasty in your face hockey, not giving an inch of ice or taking any shit, and protecting each other like a pack of wild dogs. That, and the high end guys playing like high end guys, gives me a lot of hope for a deep run. When Panarin does something like that, you know the team is locked in and buying whatever the coaching staff is selling.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My only beef has been a couple of occasions when players made risky plays while ahead by 1-2 goals in the third period that turned into scoring opportunities against.

But it's still several orders of magnitude more conservative than AV's coaching was. I do sometimes wonder if our blowing leads in two major games against the Kings in 2014 had to do with style. But it's been a long time, and I hate watching those highlights. Think I've reviewed them once in the decade since ethe series.

Reactions: AirGut

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019

Yeah, that is weird. Are the analytics incorrect or incomplete? What do you make of it?

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
My only beef has been a couple of occasions when players made risky plays while ahead by 1-2 goals in the third period that turned into scoring opportunities against.

But it's still several orders of magnitude more conservative than AV's coaching was. I do sometimes wonder if our blowing leads in two major games against the Kings in 2014 had to do with style. But it's been a long time, and I hate watching those highlights. Think I've reviewed them once in the decade since ethe series.

The Kings won 2014 playing a relentless heavy style where we couldn't clear the puck for shit out of our zone and they kept play alive and threw the puck towards the net over and over until we wilted.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I just still worry about Wilson doing something genuinely psychopathic now that we're going in to WSH. He, along with every other Caps player, has been looking for every excuse in the book to do something real dirty. From Game 1 off the hop I've seen multiple Caps players trying to sell as much as they can.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Yeah, that is weird. Are the analytics incorrect or incomplete? What do you make of it?
Shot-based analytics as presented on sites like Natural Stat Trick are OK, but they are not as good as ones you have to pay for & that are based on someone actually re-watching the game and taking into account everything that led up to the shot.

The Rangers' low score on xGF% on NST is probably due (in part) to the team being good at stuff that NST's simple model doesn't capture. (Analytics on Vally's site are better for us.) However I believe part of our low NST rating is real - it has to do with sloppiness getting out of the zone & stuff like that. I'm hoping that changing the D-pairs helps our game here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad