News Article: Brayden Schenn's niche (statistical analysis of Schenn by position played)

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Nice read. Schenn seems to show the most chemistry with Couturier. Hopefully, both can keep it up and have less streaky offense.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Good read. This is a noticeably better team when Schenn and Couturier are producing. They're a great duo and hopefully a few bad games down the road won't lead Hakstol to break it up again.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Good read. This is a noticeably better team when Schenn and Couturier are producing. They're a great duo and hopefully a few bad games down the road won't lead Hakstol to break it up again.

The encouraging thing is that with Voracek-Giroux-Simmonds and the productive Couturier-Schenn pairing, we really need a more dynamic LW to go with them, no offense to Raffl who I like, and then add Konecny to the bottom 6 with Laughton, Lindblom, Fazleev and Aube-Kubel and you have the potential for a pretty good group.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Great stats.

If Voracek eventually goes back to RW, I think Simmonds could move down to the 3rd line without losing much ice time, if any. And then we would have three lines that could score. Something like:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Laughton-Weal-Simmonds
VdV-Bellemare-White
Umberger

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Great stats.

If Voracek eventually goes back to RW, I think Simmonds could move down to the 3rd line without losing much ice time, if any. And then we would have three lines that could score. Something like:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Laughton-Weal-Simmonds
VdV-Bellemare-White
Umberger
This is the problem with Schenn for me. If Jake belongs on RW (and I d believe that he does), why move Simmonds down to the third line so that a weaker player can be the RW on the second?
Points only mean so much. Other things have to be taken into consideration with Schenn-weak in the corners than other players; lack of speed; not great protecting the puck; etc. All of the things that Hakstol said about his game when he was a healthy scratch a month or so ago.
Right now the team is playing better with Jake as a LW and Schenn as a RW. I'd rather see what the Flyers would look like with Jake back at RW; a competent LW on the first line who came to the Flyers in a trade for Schenn. More teams are showing a need for a second line center which is where Schenn is most comfortable playing. I have to believe that Hexy can pull off such a trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This is the problem with Schenn for me. If Jake belongs on RW (and I d believe that he does), why move Simmonds down to the third line so that a weaker player can be the RW on the second?

I don't know if Schenn really is a weaker player on the RW than Simmonds. So long as Simmonds is getting his usual 13 minutes at ES I don't think it matters much who he plays with. But Couturier-Schenn have obvious chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad