Brayden Schenn

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
How is it that he gets to play in the AHL this year? He's only 19 years old, and was drafted a year ago. Usually that means you have to make the NHL, or return to juniors.

I understand why Kadri can play in the AHL (pre January 1990 birthday), but why Schenn?

Thanks.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Any player in the NHL can be sent down at any time to the AHL for a conditioning stint. Schenn still counts against the cap for LA. This can be used on an player who is not waiver exempt to get them time in the A.

I believe there is a max amount of times you can stay down. I was under the impression it was 5, but Schenn has already played 6 games

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Minor league conditioning lasts a maximum of two weeks, I believe.

He played his first game on the 19th of november.

I like this move a lot and his 6 points and 3 goals in 6 GP shows he needed it.

edit: its a mystery to me how its possible he has played 6 games already...hmm.

Last edited:

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
This is what's wrong with the North American system. A good young talent is going to waste a year of development while playing in a junior league with no competition (for him). He should come to Europe and play for a pro team. Playing in the Finnish SM-Liiga for instance, would develop him a lot more than WHL.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Man, I will have the ultimate respect for Brayden Schenn's character if he can go back to Brandon without missing a beat and light it up. He's been in LA since September, the most glamorous city in NA. Nicest restaurants, weather, shopping, girls and now he has to go back to small-town, snowy BF Brandon. Remember, he's only 19. Sure you can say he's a hockey player he should deal with it, but it's hard from any level to imagine the transition of being demoted again.

It would be really hard mentally to not have a gigantic comedown. Not to mention the paycheques he was receiving while he was up there and now hes back to getting $500 a week. Even now, he's going to be going to the World Juniors now in one of the most frenetic and frenzied atmospheres being in the spotlight of an entire nation who is obsessed with the tourney. Brandon is honestly going to be a ****hole and it's going to be hard for him not to spin his wheels knowing what's in store for him next year (a spot on the Kings). The Wheaties are not doing good by any means (second last in their division), so it's going to be a lot harder than many expect for him to just go back and put up 80 pts in 35 games or something.

In a similar scenario, I'm sure it wasn't exactly thrilling going back to the OHL these last two years wasn't exactly the best thing for Pietrangelo's development either, and he didn't exactly light the world on fire there either. Pietro is now progressing at a great rate because he's up with the big club and learning more about the pro game every day. These are perfect examples of why the NHL, CHL and AHL should come to an agreement of releasing specifically tagged players to play in the AHL at 19.

outofrange

Feb 6, 2007
Man, I will have the ultimate respect for Brayden Schenn's character if he can go back to Brandon without missing a beat and light it up. He's been in LA since September, the most glamorous city in NA. Nicest restaurants, weather, shopping, girls and now he has to go back to small-town, snowy BF Brandon. Remember, he's only 19. Sure you can say he's a hockey player he should deal with it, but it's hard from any level to imagine the transition of being demoted again.

It would be really hard mentally to not have a gigantic comedown. Not to mention the paycheques he was receiving while he was up there and now hes back to getting $500 a week. Even now, he's going to be going to the World Juniors now in one of the most frenetic and frenzied atmospheres being in the spotlight of an entire nation who is obsessed with the tourney. Brandon is honestly going to be a ****hole and it's going to be hard for him not to spin his wheels knowing what's in store for him next year (a spot on the Kings). The Wheaties are not doing good by any means (second last in their division), so it's going to be a lot harder than many expect for him to just go back and put up 80 pts in 35 games or something.

In a similar scenario, I'm sure it wasn't exactly thrilling going back to the OHL these last two years wasn't exactly the best thing for Pietrangelo's development either, and he didn't exactly light the world on fire there either. Pietro is now progressing at a great rate because he's up with the big club and learning more about the pro game every day. These are perfect examples of why the NHL, CHL and AHL should come to an agreement of releasing specifically tagged players to play in the AHL at 19.

Great, great post dude. You said it perfectly.

This is going to be tough for him any way we slice it, but I'm hoping the Wheat Kings trade him to a contender so he doesn't have the extra burden of playing for a bad team on top of everything else.

This reminds me of the situation the Kings had with Bernier two years ago. He looked good but it was too early, so they sent him down and he pouted for awhile until the playoffs neared then he set the AHL on fire.

Brayden seems like a great kid so hopefully he doesn't pout as long as Bernier did, if he does. He should be playing in the AHL for christ's sake. It's good that the WJC is right around the corner so he can try concentrating on that instead of being down.

SumOil

Aug 21, 2008
edmonton
This is what's wrong with the North American system. A good young talent is going to waste a year of development while playing in a junior league with no competition (for him). He should come to Europe and play for a pro team. Playing in the Finnish SM-Liiga for instance, would develop him a lot more than WHL.

same was said of eberle and Pietrangelo last season...look how that turned out. Time in juniors should not be said to be a waste.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
What does everyone think Schenn's upside is? Every time I have watched him I was very disappointed, he always seemed so uninvolved. He still manages to score though...

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
same was said of eberle and Pietrangelo last season...look how that turned out. Time in juniors should not be said to be a waste.

That's not really a valid argument or claim to make because there is nothing on the other side to counter it, who is to say they wouldn't have developed more in the AHL? You can't, and therein lies a flaw in that claim.

For example, if Pietrangelo had played last year in the AHL and did average but hadn't cracked the big squad this year but Eberle stayed in Regina and progressed the way he has, THEN you would have a valid argument. Even then, every player is different and it should lie in the hands of management to decide if they would be better served to learn to dominate similarly-aged peers or experience the pro grind. They SHOULD have the option and it SHOULD be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

SumOil

Aug 21, 2008
edmonton
That's not really a valid argument or claim to make because there is nothing on the other side to counter it, who is to say they wouldn't have developed more in the AHL? You can't, and therein lies a flaw in that claim.

For example, if Pietrangelo had played last year in the AHL and did average but hadn't cracked the big squad this year but Eberle stayed in Regina and progressed the way he has, THEN you would have a valid argument. Even then, every player is different and it should lie in the hands of management to decide if they would be better served to learn to dominate similarly-aged peers or experience the pro grind. They SHOULD have the option and it SHOULD be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

I am not saying that Ahl is a waste. I am fully in agreement with the developmental system. All I am arguing is that if prospects are mandated to spend time in the juniors, it shouldnt be seen as waste. It is not as bad as people make it out to be.

If you read my comment with the context i posted it in I think you will see it differently. I am a supporter of prospects spending time in the minors. I dont think the management should solely decide where the signed player should play. Managements arent really very good at that either.
Back to the crux of the argument, If a player is not eligible to play in the Ahl and not good enough to be in the Nhl then going to juniors is not a bad thing at all

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
What does everyone think Schenn's upside is? Every time I have watched him I was very disappointed, he always seemed so uninvolved. He still manages to score though...

Depends on when you watched him. But if it was like most of us in the playoffs and the WJC's, he was playing hurt. This WJC should be interesting to see what a healthy Schenn can do.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR

Seems this comes up every time a highly ranked player goes back to junior. The CHL exists to develop hockey players and provide an educational route. If every decent 18 and 19 year old left, competition level and fan-appeal (which brings in money) would drop, and it would no longer be as great a developmental league. See?

Trust me - there will be plenty of competition for him. It won't be a wasted year.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
i bet scott glennie was pretty damn happy when he heard schenn was coming back.(he's having a slow year so far)

That slow year could continue. I was reading The Pipeline Show's blog and before he plays 10 games for Brandon he could be traded to a Mem Cup contender like his hometown Blades or Portland.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
the age limit is there to protect the CHL

if they had all the young studs from the CHL joining the AHL then the CHL would sink like a rock

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I hope he does get traded to a contender, it will be good for him and the wheat kings. What the Pats should have done last year with Eberle and Teubert.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think people define the word "a waste" differentely. A waste does not mean that it will ruin his development or so.

Some people like to come up with the examples of Eberle and Pietrangelo but like poster oilsp1ll rightfully says: "Its not really a valid argument or claim to make at all because there is nothing on the other side to counter it.''

Who knows how good they would be by now of they had played in the AHL ? That's the whole point. Believe me, one or more years of professional hockey (if you are not NHL ready) can mean a lot. Jack Johnson never played in the AHL. I think he could have learnt something over there, something he is missing right now.

Kyle Clifford is playing in the NHL right now. The kid seriously lacked some offensive scoring touch, but after watching him more closefully the last couple of games in the NHL, I think not bad. You see him grow, now he is playing on the 3rd line.

Sure, he's still struggling to get on the scoreboard but I have no doubt he will come along at the end of the year. I think he learns more in the NHL than in juniors but unfortunately he is not allowed to play in the AHL because that would be the best place for him.

I hope he does get traded to a contender, it will be good for him and the wheat kings. What the Pats should have done last year with Eberle and Toubert.
Who's he ? Is he any good ?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

FWIW, if Schenn hadn't signed his ELC, he could have gone to Europe and played. Heck, he could've done that last year aswell. But, NHL teams generally want their players developing in North America and the prospects want to listen to them. It's also problably a tough sell for a Saskatchewan-born player playing in Brandon, Manitoba to go to europe for a year.

The rule that requires players to be sent back to their CHL teams for the first 2 years after being drafted (unless they played 3 seasons before being drafted) really only affects the top draft picks anyways.

The guys who get drafted early do so because they dominate and are close to the NHL. As a result, they don't really have much to learn but once you get into the latter half of the first round, most of the guys can use the 2 years of development anyways.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I think Schenn is ready right now. If LA didnt have Handzus & Stoll hogging ice time, he'd be in the NHL right now. Aside from the fact LA is a playoff team. Just a numbers game. From what I saw of his first few NHL games, he's going to be a very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad