Brayden Schenn scouting report

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I don't think he's Iginla like. I love this kid with a passion. He's really a physical Markus Naslund in my mind.

2009 will be a wonderful draft. I'm more than excited for it.

HNJB*

Can someone make a brief list of the cant-miss prospects next year?

Tavares, Hedman, Schenn...?

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Oh god.

Umm, throw in Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi, Jared Cowen, Matt Duchene... Like the whole first 15 picks? (Exaggerating, but it's a REALLY good draft)

Absolutely... this draft, as it stands now, is just sick.

MSP is the man. Another mutant of the '09 draft.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Absolutely... this draft, as it stands now, is just sick.

MSP is the man. Another mutant of the '09 draft.

Oh yeah, that kid is made of Skill way down to his atoms.

I'm also liking Teemu Pulkkinen in '10, which is also looking to be a siicccck draft.

What do you think about Jared Cowen?

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Oh yeah, that kid is made of Skill way down to his atoms.

I'm also liking Teemu Pulkkinen in '10, which is also looking to be a siicccck draft.

What do you think about Jared Cowen?

I don't want to call him the most underrated kid in the draft, because he's consistently ranked in the top 5 or so in these early stages, but I think I'd be accurate in saying he's underestimated. The kid is just dynamite and he's believe it or not (i imagine most won't), a franchise caliber defenseman. One of the better skaters I've seen, especially at about 6'5. He moves the puck like a veteran, and I mean that literally. If he can get meaner, I don't wanna say he'll make people pay for passing on him because... well look at the talent ahead of him, but he'll be the cornerstone of some franchise. Excellent prospect.

To keep on topic just a bit, Schenn is really a dynamo in every sense. Scores, makes plays all over the ice, and is about as snappy and tenacious as his older brother, if not more tenacious (not necessarily stronger or more physical, but really tenacious). With another progressive season, he'll practically be seen as a shoe-in star.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Can someone make a brief list of the cant-miss prospects next year?

Tavares, Hedman, Schenn...?

Oh god.

Umm, throw in Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi, Jared Cowen, Matt Duchene... Like the whole first 15 picks? (Exaggerating, but it's a REALLY good draft)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=511021&highlight=Finn's+Corner
There's 40

But my newest 15 is here...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=516681&highlight=Finn's+Corner

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton

Yo Finn can you give me any new news about Toni R.? I haven't kept up to date on him for a while now.

I don't want to call him the most underrated kid in the draft, because he's consistently ranked in the top 5 or so in these early stages, but I think I'd be accurate in saying he's underestimated. The kid is just dynamite and he's believe it or not (i imagine most won't), a franchise caliber defenseman. One of the better skaters I've seen, especially at about 6'5. He moves the puck like a veteran, and I mean that literally. If he can get meaner, I don't wanna say he'll make people pay for passing on him because... well look at the talent ahead of him, but he'll be the cornerstone of some franchise. Excellent prospect.

See, thats the problem with this draft to be honest. Well, I shouldn't say problem, but I can't think of any other word. It seems as though the Teams picking in the Top 10 will have some incredibly difficult choices to make in that draft. Lets just move past the Top 2 teams trying to decide between John Tavaras and Victor Hedman; Cowen or Schenn, Matt Duchene or MSP, do you take a chance on Toni R with the sick skills he's showing in the top 7? That draft could just go so many ways, and I find it hard to believe more then a few teams in the top 10 will be disappointed, if that.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Yo Finn can you give me any new news about Toni R.? I haven't kept up to date on him for a while now.

I would if I wouldn't get flamed for it every time I said the truth about the kid.

He just signed a pro contract with Ilves. Phenominal season last year with JrA (with 18-19 year olds). Does very well in tournaments. Still a very gifted offensive dynamo, and still very small (about 5'9 160). He's definately one of the most gifted offensive players in the draft next year, tons of natural talent.

If I say anything else people will crawl out from under rocks and start screaming things like "witch" and "Duchene this" and "Don Cherry that".

Sisu Suomi

HNJB*

Oh god.

Thanks alot. I usually focus on the current draft until July, but next year just sounds sick and I was curious.

MSP=sick name :D

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
After the top 12 of the 09 draft, the talent REALLY drops off. But the top 7 is made up of franchise NHL talents, IMO.

As for Brayden Schenn, I WANT HIM AS A LEAF!

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

After the top 12 of the 09 draft, the talent REALLY drops off. But the top 7 is made up of franchise NHL talents, IMO.

As for Brayden Schenn, I WANT HIM AS A LEAF!

Hahaha what?

2009 is arguably deeper than 2008.

1. Victor Hedman (Defense, MoDo SEL) swe
2. John Tavares (Center, Oshawa OHL) can
3. Brayden Schenn (Center, Brandon WHL) can
4. Matt Duchene (Center, Brampton OHL) can
5. Mangus Svensson-Paajarvi (Left Wing, Timra SEL) swe
6. Jared Cowen (Defense, Spokane WHL) can
7. Toni Rajala (Left Wing, Ilves FEL) fin
8. Tomas Vincour (Right Wing, Edmonton WHL) cze
9. Olivier Bellevance-Roy (Goalie, Cape Breton QMJHL) can
10. Ryan Ellis (Defense, Windsor OHL) can
11. Richard Panik (Forward, Trinec CEL) slv
12. Jordan Schroeder (Forward, US18 USNDP) usa
13. Evander Kane (Center, Vancouver WHL) can
14. Anton Myllari (Defense, MoDo SEL) swe
15. Jeremy Morin (Forward, US18 USNDP) usa
16. Landon Ferraro (Right Wing, Red Deer WHL) can
17. Anton Lander (Center, Timra SEL) swe
18. Ryan O'Reilly (Center, Erie OHL) can
19. Andrei Kuchin (Center, CSKA RSL) rus
20. Erik Haula (Right Wing, Assat FEL) fin
21. Jimmy Bubnick (Center, Kamloops WHL) can
22. Phil Varone (Center, London OHL) can
23. Stefan Elliot (Defense, Saskatoon WHL) can
24. Scott Glennie (Right Wing, Brandon WHL) can
25. Jordan Caron (Center, Rimouski QMJHL) can
26. Casey Cizikis (Center, Mississauga OHL) can
27. Roman Horak (Forward, Mountfeild CEL) cze
28. Louis LeBlanc (Forward, Harvard (2009)) can
29. Simon Despres (Defense, Saint John QMJHL) can
30. Drew Shore (Forward, US18 USNDP) usa
31. Ryan Howse (Right Wing, Chilliwack WHL) can
32. Jacob Josefsson (Forward, Djurgarden SEL) swe
33. Joonas Nattinen (Center, JYP FEL) fin
34. Stephan Novotny (Right Wing, Indiana USHL) cze
35. William Wallen (Right Wing, Djurgarden SEL) swe
36. Gleason Fournier (Defense, Quebec QMJHL) can
37. Mike Lee (Goalie, Roseau USHS) usa
38. Peter Holland (Center, Geulph OHL) can
39. Nico Manelius (Defense, Jokerit FEL) fin
40. Brandon Herrod (Right Wing, Prince Albert WHL) can

(ADD IN NAZIM KADRI AT ABOUT 13)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Hahaha what?

2009 is arguably deeper than 2008.

1. Victor Hedman (Defense, MoDo SEL) swe
2. John Tavares (Center, Oshawa OHL) can
3. Brayden Schenn (Center, Brandon WHL) can
4. Matt Duchene (Center, Brampton OHL) can
5. Mangus Svensson-Paajarvi (Left Wing, Timra SEL) swe
6. Jared Cowen (Defense, Spokane WHL) can
7. Toni Rajala (Left Wing, Ilves FEL) fin
8. Tomas Vincour (Right Wing, Edmonton WHL) cze
9. Olivier Bellevance-Roy (Goalie, Cape Breton QMJHL) can
10. Ryan Ellis (Defense, Windsor OHL) can
11. Richard Panik (Forward, Trinec CEL) slv
12. Jordan Schroeder (Forward, US18 USNDP) usa
13. Evander Kane (Center, Vancouver WHL) can
14. Anton Myllari (Defense, MoDo SEL) swe
15. Jeremy Morin (Forward, US18 USNDP) usa
16. Landon Ferraro (Right Wing, Red Deer WHL) can
17. Anton Lander (Center, Timra SEL) swe
18. Ryan O'Reilly (Center, Erie OHL) can
19. Andrei Kuchin (Center, CSKA RSL) rus
20. Erik Haula (Right Wing, Assat FEL) fin
21. Jimmy Bubnick (Center, Kamloops WHL) can
22. Phil Varone (Center, London OHL) can
23. Stefan Elliot (Defense, Saskatoon WHL) can
24. Scott Glennie (Right Wing, Brandon WHL) can
25. Jordan Caron (Center, Rimouski QMJHL) can
26. Casey Cizikis (Center, Mississauga OHL) can
27. Roman Horak (Forward, Mountfeild CEL) cze
28. Louis LeBlanc (Forward, Quebec QMJHL) can
29. Simon Despres (Defense, Saint John QMJHL) can
30. Drew Shore (Forward, US18 USNDP) usa
31. Ryan Howse (Right Wing, Chilliwack WHL) can
32. Jacob Josefsson (Forward, Djurgarden SEL) swe
33. Joonas Nattinen (Center, JYP FEL) fin
34. Stephan Novotny (Right Wing, Indiana USHL) cze
35. William Wallen (Right Wing, Djurgarden SEL) swe
36. Gleason Fournier (Defense, Quebec QMJHL) can
37. Mike Lee (Goalie, Roseau USHS) usa
38. Peter Holland (Center, Geulph OHL) can
39. Nico Manelius (Defense, Jokerit FEL) fin
40. Brandon Herrod (Right Wing, Prince Albert WHL) can

(ADD IN NAZIM KADRI AT ABOUT 13)

HAHAHA, no it is not. I know you love the 2009 draft, but c'mon, look at this in an unbiased thinking.

You have Brandon Herrod at #40th? A guy who scored 7 goals and 24 points with Prince Albert Raiders?

Well, I would say a guy like Evgeny Grachev, or Mitch Wahl, Harri Sateri, Eric O'Dell, A.J Jenks, etc, are better selections at #40th overall in the 2008 draft.

2009 is fully loaded with top talent thoughout the top 15, while 2008 draft has top talent in the top 5-6. But, having a player like Jordan Eberle in the 20s of the 2008 draft, in the 1st round, IS JUST RIDICULOUS.

After the top 12 of the 2009 draft, the talent level REALLY drops off. Just think of the difference between Jordan Schroeder and Evander Kane.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Schenn is a pretty hard guy to quantify or compare to a current NHLer because of what he can do.

Most people got a first look at him at the u18s were he played a checking line role and played it really well. He was punishing people in that tourny and showing glimpses of skill here and there. I thought as an underager he was physically dominating people a year older then him

He is one of the best skaters at his age and he can skate with the puck at full speed as well. His shot is above average and he can beat people either by stick handling or powering through them.

He is a great passer and has a willingness to get his linemates involved in the play but will also be greedy with the puck at the right times. His defensive play has improved greatly as the season went along.

He loves to hit and punish opponents and is a pretty good fighter at 16. Has a temper which can get the better of him at times.

I expect big things from him next year. I expect him to challenge for the scoring title and lead the Wheat Kings to a possible WHL championship. I expect him to get a shot at the World Junior team

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Err, I think you misunderstood me. I know that the 2009 draft IS MUCH better than the 2008 draft...

But, after the top 12 of the 2009 draft, the talent level REALLY drops of. Just think of the difference between Jordan Schroeder and Evander Kane.

I don't think there is as much a difference as you think there is

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

HAHAHA, no it is not. I know you love the 2009 draft, but c'mon, look at this in an unbiased thinking.

You have Brandon Herrod at #40th? A guy who scored 7 goals and 24 points with Prince Albert Raiders?

Well, I would say a guy like Evgeny Grachev, or Mitch Wahl, Harri Sateri, Eric O'Dell, A.J Jenks, etc, are better selections at #40th overall in the 2008 draft.

2009 is fully loaded with top talent thoughout the top 15, while 2008 draft has top talent in the top 5-6. But, having a player like Jordan Eberle in the 20s of the 2008 draft, in the 1st round, IS JUST RIDICULOUS.

After the top 12 of the 2009 draft, the talent level REALLY drops off. Just think of the difference between Jordan Schroeder and Evander Kane.

There's alot more in it than point totals. Andrei Kuchin, Erik Haula, Jimmy Bubnick, Steven Anthony, Landon Ferraro, etc, etc are all playing second fiddle to the '08 guys. Once Anthony, Ferraro and Bubnick get more playing time they'll move up. Once the enigma that is Andrei Kuchin gets figured out, and if it gets figured out he'll move up. My newer lists don't even have Evander in the top 20. While players like Despres and Fournier move up. 2009 is deeper. Just wait. You will definately see. I guess I should say the first round is definately deeper than the 2008 first round. Beyond the top 40 I don't know.

Later picks (25-35) like Wallen, Josefsson and Manelius can really turn out to be great players too.

All I know is there's those sleeper gems in the later rounds of 2009 like Sam Calabrese, Jere Ringbom, Devon MacAusland (More talented Nathan Gerbe), Tyler Randall, etc that could really be a testiment of how good that draft will be.

Again we can't tell yet.

Although I'm actually begining to become more excited about 2010. It's a four hourse race as of now with Kabanov, Pulkkinen, McFarland and Hall all showing to be great players. With players like Granlund, Merrill, Pysyk and Clermont all moving up too.

The 2008-2010 drafts are going to be wonderful. It'll be nice after having a few average drafts from 2006-2007.

DB21

Jun 11, 2007
The 2009 draft could possibly have 4 saskatoon born kids drafted in the first round. 2 are locks in Jared Cowan and Brayden Schenn. Jimmy Bubnick is not a lock but promising to be a first rounder and I think with a strong year Carter Ashton's (son of Brent Ashton) stock could rise to first round status. Not bad for a city with a population of 250,000. All 4 kids played together on the Midget AAA Saskatoon Contacts, I watched many games and I thought Carter Ashton was the best of the 3 forwards. That line of Ashton, Bubnick and Schenn was dinomite. I think all 3 were in the top 5 in league scoring thier last year of midget.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Schenn is a pretty hard guy to quantify or compare to a current NHLer because of what he can do.

Most people got a first look at him at the u18s were he played a checking line role and played it really well. He was punishing people in that tourny and showing glimpses of skill here and there. I thought as an underager he was physically dominating people a year older then him

He is one of the best skaters at his age and he can skate with the puck at full speed as well. His shot is above average and he can beat people either by stick handling or powering through them.

He is a great passer and has a willingness to get his linemates involved in the play but will also be greedy with the puck at the right times. His defensive play has improved greatly as the season went along.

He loves to hit and punish opponents and is a pretty good fighter at 16. Has a temper which can get the better of him at times.

I expect big things from him next year. I expect him to challenge for the scoring title and lead the Wheat Kings to a possible WHL championship. I expect him to get a shot at the World Junior team

Exactly, he does it all. Finally someone else says things about him, I always got flamed for it even though I would try not to be 100% baised haha.
Temper isn't an issue. He'll go out either lay you out, or potentially score/set up a goal. He only got into a couple fights this year IF that. I know one for sure against Moose Jaw and he pumped the guy. Other than that I wouldn't say he has a temper issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad