News Article: Brayden Point-Does he sign with Tampa OR sit start of season?

Will Brayden Point sign before the season starts?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We’re now exactly two weeks from the start of the 2019-20 NHL regular season and eight* restricted free agents are still without contracts. While a few of those names represent depth or role players, five names stand out as potentially disastrous situations. Brayden Point, Mikko Rantanen, Matthew Tkachuk, Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine have all shown superstar ability in their short careers and would be huge talents to leave on the sideline when the season begins. All five forwards scored at least 30 goals last season, with Laine registering the fewest points (50) and Point the most (92).
It’s hard to know exactly when any of them will finally break down the barrier and report to camp at this point. Rantanen and Laine are skating in Switzerland, Tkachuk is with his old OHL team and there have been reports about nearly all of them that things still aren’t close. Just a few days ago Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic tweeted that last offer from the Tampa Bay Lightning to Point was a three-year deal that carried just a $5.7MM average annual value. That would represent a much lower number than someone like Mitch Marner signed for, but Tampa Bay has long maintained the philosophy of low-cost bridge deals for their star players coming out of the entry-level system. With a $3MM average annual value separation can the sides strike a deal?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
As a Leafs fan, I hope he sits. We need every little advantage we can get. I really think Leafs can win this division, TB won't run away with it the same way like they did last season. Everybody puts them up on some kinda pedestal, well Leafs gonna show that they do have what it takes to win this division.

Reactions: kb and Hockey Crazy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I hope he takes a page from Nylander and Marner and makes it hurt for Tampa Bay. The way their fans almost expect a $5.7 million deal, and maybe under $7 million is so delusional. Especially since they just opened the vaults for Vasi.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't really care other team do - we have a good enough team to compete against any team in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad