Brassard

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I got this guy pegged as a break out player, always behind Richards and Stepan. what do you see him doing this year? cheers.

I sure hope he breaks out, something in the 50-60 range would be nice. I'm hoping that Zucc will continue to create plays that Brass and the yet-to-be-determined other wing can finish. Brass shoots well, but he sometimes passes when he should be shooting.

Conversely, being behind Richards and Stepan provided him with easier competition in some cases. This season is going to be very telling.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got some time on the PP as well.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
too inconsistent. Looks like he could tear the world on one day, is completely invisible the other day. I expect a season on his typical pace, nothing more. 45-50 points.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
In all likelihood he'll put up the same 40-49 points he always does. Maybe Zucc has a really huge year and carries Brass to some higher point totals, but I don't expect Brassard's actual play to improve at all. He is what he is at this point.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He is what he is. He isnt going to develop.

He could get higher point totals, but that will be due to better linemate play or luck.

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
Yeah, I think he's pretty much as good as he's going to get. My prediction is in the 40's for points, could just hit the 50 point marker.

Zuccarello Awesome*

It's not as much about development as it is about being comfortable and finding chemistry and realizing how he has to play to be successful.

He's very good with the puck.

He needs to do more to get the puck back when he doesn't have it.

If he does that, 60+ points would not shock me. He certainly has the skill.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
IMO his regular season inconsistencies will be more noticable around here with his 2C status and 5 million dollar price tag (for 5 years). Brassard is a nice player and has been good for us in the playoffs, but I don't see him improving much. He's going to be 27 this year, players are normally finished products by that age and he hasn't shown any signs of improving in the past few years.

I expect 45 points (15G, 30A) and some big playoff points.

I'd be very happy with anything at or over 50.

Anyone expecting or hoping for more will be disappointed in my opinion.

NYRCSKA*

Brassard and Stepan will each put up around 60 points. However I won't be upset if they don't reach that. That's just what I think will happen.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It's not as much about development as it is about being comfortable and finding chemistry and realizing how he has to play to be successful.

He's very good with the puck.

He needs to do more to get the puck back when he doesn't have it.

If he does that, 60+ points would not shock me. He certainly has the skill.

Only 21 Cs had 60+ points last year.

Not saying it is impossible, but I would be shocked if Brassard became a 60+ player regularly. Then again who knows what will happen if a "sniper" kind of player finds his way to the Brassard-Zuccarello line.

Equally likely that his production will fall slightly in my opinion. If Zuccarello can't keep up, or for whatever reason is moved to another line, I could see Brassard struggling to find even 40 points. Not to mention he will probably see some tougher match-ups at times this year.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He is what he is. He isnt going to develop.

He could get higher point totals, but that will be due to better linemate play or luck.

I'm not expecting a huge uptick in points, but it's a little unfair to say that he can't become a better hockey player. He's 26 years old, and he's most likely going to be getting more ice time and responsibility with Richards gone. Why can't he develop further?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I'm not expecting a huge uptick in points, but it's a little unfair to say that he can't become a better hockey player. He's 26 years old, and he's most likely going to be getting more ice time and responsibility with Richards gone. Why can't he develop further?

Why would he develop further?

He could put up higher point totals based on his linemates play, but he isnt going to become a better shooter or passer or skater, or anything else. Hes done improving, at least anything significant.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
You people are so trendy. It's like one guy says someone sucks. So the next one says the same. Or perhaps the comment draws those kinds of people.

The accusations against Brassard reaching his ceiling are inconclusive.

When did Brassard play the other teams scrubs last year? Especially when it was HIS line that carried the team offensively because Richards stunk up the joint. Kreider and Nash were injured for some stretches. Stepan had this hot and cold run him out of town threads like every year.

I just hate these boards man.

How do you know he cannot improve? Last year was his first time in a real system that played to some of his strengths. And he and Zuccarello revived a guy like BP who was virtually a bust and imo still is.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You people are so trendy. It's like one guy says someone sucks. So the next one says the same. Or perhaps the comment draws those kinds of people.

When did Brassard play the other teams scrubs last year? Especially when it was HIS line that carried the team offensively because Richards stunk up the joint. Kreider and Nash were injured for some stretches. Stepan had this hot and cold run him out of town threads like every year.

How do you know he cannot improve? Last year was his first time in a real system that played to some of his strengths. And he and Zuccarello revived a guy like BP who was virtually a bust and imo still is.

If Pouliot is a bust, so is Brassard since neither of them reached their ceiling of potential based on draft status. So now if you are willing to say Brassard can improve, then I guess so can Pouliot can't he? They're both former top 10 draft picks, and both about the same age. The biggest difference is that one has been a journeyman while the other has only played for two teams.

You hate the boards for saying something about one player that you then go on to say about another who is very similar.

Okay.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Or maybe people are looking at the facts objectively and coming to the logical conclusion. Brassard's a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Aging curves show that forwards usually peak around age 24 or 25. If he were going to get better then his production would've improved at least somewhat over the last four seasons: 47, 41, 29, 45. Also, you can try and rag on Pouliot and say we revived him, but he's been the same complementary role player for a while now: 28, 30, 32, 20, 36.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I doubt it. He shows flashes of legitimate second line talent, but he is at his most valuable on a team with great center depth like last year, as a third liner.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
I can see us trying to move this guy in a deal for big Joe if he is indeed available. We are too small down the middle and I think the Rangers are higher on Step than Brass making him the odd man out.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I can see us trying to move this guy in a deal for big Joe if he is indeed available. We are too small down the middle and I think the Rangers are higher on Step than Brass making him the odd man out.

why the **** would we move Brassard+ for Thornton? Like, at no point are we going to trade anyone who is a part of the youth core for Thornton.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
why the **** would we move Brassard+ for Thornton? Like, at no point are we going to trade anyone who is a part of the youth core for Thornton.

Brassard isn't part of the young core and Thornton is still one of the very best players in hockey. San Jose would be nuts to make that deal unless a very big piece is coming with Brassard.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Brassard isn't part of the young core and Thornton is still one of the very best players in hockey. San Jose would be nuts to make that deal unless a very big piece is coming with Brassard.

Brassard+ is too much to throw at Thorton at this point. We have 5 of Brassard's best years at an okay $5M price and he's had two strong playoffs with us. we're thin on prospects and draft picks along with our **** drafting. A hefty price + a young player for an old player who's going to slow down soon, I don't think that's really something that we NEED to do. It's an upgrade but I think there are other solutions to our C depth problem that will work better long term and cost us less. Add the extra $1.75M cap hit and NMC, it's a short term upgrade we don't want to afford i think.

Value right now, Brassard+ is the value that SJS would look for and anyone would expect for Thorton, but we're really solving one problem by creating another which is the main reason why I think Brassard+ is too much for us, not necessarily saying that Thornton isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
There's a reason why he was behind Richards, and is still behind Stepan.

I don't remember is you're anti-Brassard or not but I don't think he's behind Richards. If you could have either Brassard or Richards at the same price, same term, same evrything, I doubt you'd take Richards over Brassard last year or this upcoming year. How they were utilized on the ice might suggest that Richards was the official 2C but I don't think Richards was or is better than Brassard. On the Stepan thing, of course he's behind Stepan. I'm not suggesting that he's ahead of Stepan. Step's a legit 1C and excellent two way center in my books. Brassard's production is suitable to slot him in at 2C, though both Stepan and Brassard have room for improvement in their respective roles as 1C and 2C this season.

K, steve, not sure if you're replying to me but I assumed. If not, pls carry on. thx.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I don't remember is you're anti-Brassard or not but I don't think he's behind Richards. If you could have either Brassard or Richards at the same price, same term, same evrything, I doubt you'd take Richards over Brassard last year or this upcoming year. How they were utilized on the ice might suggest that Richards was the official 2C but I don't think Richards was or is better than Brassard. On the Stepan thing, of course he's behind Stepan. I'm not suggesting that he's ahead of Stepan. Step's a legit 1C and excellent two way center in my books. Brassard's production is suitable to slot him in at 2C, though both Stepan and Brassard have room for improvement in their respective roles as 1C and 2C this season.

K, steve, not sure if you're replying to me but I assumed. If not, pls carry on. thx.

Was replying to OP, I would have quoted you.

Crusto pls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad