Brashear vs Probert- prime for prime 10 fight series, who you got?

drtheglob

May 14, 2016
I'd say Probert wins it 5-3-2.

Probert was the better fighter overall and in his prime he was strong enough to keep Brashear's clinching strategy in check. He could very well drop Brashear the way Laraque did. Brashear would win a few just by getting a better grip and outlanding Probert.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
That's a right around what I would have guessed. However, it is imperative to mention Brashear's proclivity towards bailing out of a fight whenever the outcome starts to lean a different direction; which in my opinion - should automatically result in a loss.

It is a battle of stamina and strength as both fighters are amongst the best of all-time in those specific categories. Brashear likes to come out strong with his devastating quick jabs, then grapple in attempt to minimize damage from the opponent. Probert is the best finisher ever, so that most likely would be counter-productive.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Probert owned Brash early winning 5 of the first 7 fights against classic Huggy bear. Once Probert hit about 34 the series turned to a prime Brashear over an aged out Probie. Brash won the last two fighters clean and loved opening up more when he was the stronger and Probert was over the hill.

Typical Brash front runner speed bag punching when he was ahead and bailing when he was behind.

The actual 9 fight series I have at 5 wins Probert 1 tie 3 wins Brash.

For the record only one of these fights was with Detroit Red Wings Probert In his 20’s When he was the man....the rest of the fights Probie was in his 30’s with the Hawks.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

drtheglob

May 14, 2016
Probert owned Brash early winning 5 of the first 7 fights against classic Huggy bear. Once Probert hit about 34 the series turned to a prime Brashear over an aged out Probie. Brash won the last two fighters clean and loved opening up more when he was the stronger and Probert was over the hill.

Typical Brash front runner speed bag punching when he was ahead and bailing when he was behind.

The actual 9 fight series I have at 5 wins Probert 1 tie 3 wins Brash.

For the record only one of these fights was with Detroit Red Wings Probert In his 20’s When he was the man....the rest of the fights Probie was in his 30’s with the Hawks.
Some of your analysis is correct/agreeable, but I suspect you gave Probert round 5 somehow and that's just not accurate. That last punch did NOT land. If you scored one tie, there's only 4 other fights Probert could have POSSIBLY won. Just for the record.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some of your analysis is correct/agreeable, but I suspect you gave Probert round 5 somehow and that's just not accurate. That last punch did NOT land. If you scored one tie, there's only 4 other fights Probert could have POSSIBLY won. Just for the record.

no I had fight 5 as the draw. I think I had fight 7 as a Probert win.

I had 1-4 probert 5 brash 6 draw 7 probert 8-9 Brash? I did a once over and didn’t slow it down to really dig in on it and I was marking the bouts as my 12 year old was chatting to me so it wasn’t a deep dive.

Either way the OP asked for prime vs prime as opposed to the actual series so I might have been doing a disservice to the thread. These guys definitely didn’t fight each other while they were both in their primes but that is to be expected with guys 7 years apart in age.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Probert usually outlasted his opponents and put them away because he had better stamina and toughness.

Brash has the edge in strength and is very good at using both hands.

I see these fights starting off slow and; there being some really exciting exchanges after about 30 seconds.

I give the edge to Brash 6-4.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Handily is the wrong word. A Prime Probie doesn't lose handily to anyone. Both the aforementioned are top 5 all time but Bob is still the best JMO.

I think Craig Coxe (no...I think it was Troy Crowder) and Tie Domi beat a prime Probert pretty bad. Probert vs Brashear though.........I hated the way Brashear fought - seemed like for such a huge guy he sure picked his spots a lot.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I think Craig Coxe (no...I think it was Troy Crowder) and Tie Domi beat a prime Probert pretty bad. Probert vs Brashear though.........I hated the way Brashear fought - seemed like for such a huge guy he sure picked his spots a lot.

Of course he lost a few in his prime but pretty sure he redeemed himself in rematches. Wheñ you fight all the time and everyone wants the title or a shot at it you are bound to lose a couple every once in a while. Every tough guy tried to make a name by trying to beat the champ.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Probert all day long. Just ask all the players from the time. Brash was just a hugger. He was big and strong, but truth is he was petrified to take a shot so he never opened up.

Jul 12, 2007
I’d rather see the tourney with Probie - Laraque.
Huggie Bear likes to hug for a minute or two then go for an opening late. With Probie’s long fights, could get boring. Brash may latch on forever.
Laraque would probably more exciting with both guys teeing off.
That’s if you got the excited Laraque and not the disinterested one.
Prime Boogard- Probert would be rough.

Reactions: hmc1987

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I did enjoy the Probert - Domi short rivalry - Domi (NYR) beat him (opened him up I think) in Detroit and then back at MSG, Probert got him (not as bad as the Detroit broadcast team thought though). 2 local guys (both from Windsor, Ontario area) who were 2 of the best fighters of their era.

I couldn't stand Brashear - very over rated, and picked his spots - not sure how he gets the love that he does on here.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I did enjoy the Probert - Domi short rivalry - Domi (NYR) beat him (opened him up I think) in Detroit and then back at MSG, Probert got him (not as bad as the Detroit broadcast team thought though). 2 local guys (both from Windsor, Ontario area) who were 2 of the best fighters of their era.

I couldn't stand Brashear - very over rated, and picked his spots - not sure how he gets the love that he does on here.
Iam from Windsor and yes Domi beat him first time and got jackhammer from a pissed off Probert the second time..Both tough as they come customers

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The thing with Probert was that every time he lost, he would come back hard at the guy the next time... and usually win convincingly. Brashear might get him once, but Probert would take the rest.

As for Probert versus some of the latter day giants like Boogaard... I think those reach guys take a series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad