Brandon Sutter Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This guy is soft, soft, soft on the puck.....if his name wasn't 'Sutter' you'd never guess it was the same family.....that contract could be a major albatross as early as next year imo...pretty scary.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well I said the contract that is about to be kicked in is overpaid so...

Current contact is fine, the next is a million overpaid. Not an albatross but not good either.

The 5 year term and full NTC makes it an albatross. At that cap hit he should have got 2-3 years with at most a limited NTC, the 10 no trade list that Higgins and Hansen got.

Anyways now that his initial scoring binge from playing with the Sedins is becoming a distant memory I guess it's time for the wolves on here to start coming out after Sutter.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not sure the wolves will come out on Sutter. He is what Pens fans said he is. I don't anyone really said he's a horrible player. He's a third line center.

Though at some point despite anyone signing that deal if it came to them he will be on the hook for not earning it if it isn't earning it. But right now it isn't so much a reflection on him.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I just thought he was nothing more than a #3 C and that contract didn't make any sense to me. I like Sutt's everywhere except on the PP - ****ing brutal, just because they are right hand shots Sutt's and Weber should not be higher than Hutton and McCann on the pecking order. ****ing coaches.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
This guy is soft, soft, soft on the puck.....if his name wasn't 'Sutter' you'd never guess it was the same family.....that contract could be a major albatross as early as next year imo...pretty scary.

With the Sedins handicapped with Vrbata, Horvat starting off slow, and McCann getting roughed up, now is absolutely the time they need Sutter to step up in the middle. If he stays at this level or even slightly above, I'm still ok with the trade but that contract is a major, major mistake by Benning.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I was so disappointed by that Sutter contract at the time. We could have assessed his play during the entire season before we ever even had to offer a contract. Now with McCann and Horvat, I don't even know how best to use him going forward.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Some one want to explain to me why Sutter fits better than Bonino again?

And why is it worth more than twice the capspace than Bonino?

with how horvat has been its actually funny to think that independent of performance or contract, bonino is actually the better fit as well as the better player, asset, contract, person (bonino is a noted dog liker, sutter is not a noted anything but boring hockey robot)

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
This guy is such a boring player, he just doesn't seem to do much of anything at all.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
with how horvat has been its actually funny to think that independent of performance or contract, bonino is actually the better fit as well as the better player, asset, contract, person (bonino is a noted dog liker, sutter is not a noted anything but boring hockey robot)

:laugh:

It's really funny to compare the 2.

Nick Bonino:
16:03 TOI/game
16:50 PP time total
3g 1a
35.0% Ozone starts

Brandon Sutter:
19:03 TOI/game
38:17 PP time total
3g 4a
50.5% Ozone starts

Sutter only has 3 more assists with WAY more opportunities than Bonino. More than twice the power play TOI, a **** ton more offensive zone starts. :help:

Bonino would be a better fit here than Sutter.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
This guy is such a boring player, he just doesn't seem to do much of anything at all.

Hes just not a terribly smart player. He has wheels which allows him to be in position defensively and to get the occasional goal but watching him nothing stands out that makes me think hes really a guy to build around.

Heck Hansen seems to be a smarter player.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He's an okay 3rd liner, but that trade and contract still make no sense to me and it raises a major reg flag.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Supposedly Sutter was brought in to be a second-line centre, and push Horvat down to the third line as the heir apparent....but after 15 games, and as unthinkable as it might have seemed at the start of season, McCann just might be their true second-line centre by the end of the season....this isn't just a commentary on how McCann is playing but just how bad the other two guys have been.:shakehead

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sutter just doesn't fit on this team.

We need a playmaking 2C and Sutter is a playkilling 2C.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

This is the curious revelation to me as well. Now, 2nd line scoring is an issue... "Roster Fit" came at a cost.

I guess the hope now is that Horvat becomes a regular 2C asap, or that McCann is able to buoy the scoring enough to make up for the deficit. Still, why not just add a "checker" to the Sedin-Bonino-Horvat rotation? Ah well.

------

That aside, I have advocated for acquiring Sutter in the past. He has a use, but more as a compliment to scorers/point producers, not as one himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad