Post-Game Talk: Brandon Sutter; a better goal scorer than Vrbata || Canucks lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

What do you mean? You have it right: Sutter > McCann > Burrows > McCann

They didn't lose possession and Sutter was the second last player to touch the puck before the goal scorer so he gets the second assist. It doesn't matter that McCann touched the puck in between.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
McCann is such a weird case study here...

On the one hand...he's looked like one of our more dangerous forwards offensively, and has the goals to show for it. He's made a ton of outstanding offensive plays. And he's made a ton of very strong defensive plays as well.

But he's also had moments of confusion, and moments of being simply overpowered.

I'm all for more audition. He doesn't look "lost" by any means. He's generally able to keep pace, and he wins a lot more puck battles than you'd expect, due to a smart stick and smart positioning - which is probably always going to be his hallmark as an NHLer anyway.

It's called being a rookie. :yo:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure the Blues deserved that game, but they got it. Vrbata needs to start potting a few.

Seriously?

what game were you watching?

The 4-3 score flattered the Canucks, their top players were pretty much invisible and the core is very very done.

The start of the season and playoffs against Calgary has the Sedins in pretty obvious decline.

Horvat is being saddled with his wingers and assignments as well.

Vrbata is invisible out there, that has to change just to get some trade value.

Those dreams of a first rounder for his rental at the deadline are jut that at this point, dreams.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks do not have much of a power play. There is nobody to man the point.

Canucks youngsters did not quit on this game which is awesome and welcome. I hope they don't start quitting early like the core does sometimes.

What's become very obvious with the emergence of the kids, is that the vets seem done. So done! Some vets just do not fit in, any more. Not sure if they are being kept to mentor? Coaching from behind the play seems unnecessary, though, so far.

Desjardins is still searching for a formula. It will become apparent who is being propped up. Supporting failing elders is not a hockey thing. Benning has some serious things to think about.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Virtanen isn't being given much of an opportunity. I would argue McCann with 10 minutes of ice time isn't being given much either. He scored his second goal of the season and was an even rating. Haven't seen the advanced stats though.

I like having both rookies on the team and want both to remain. They will have their ups and downs, and I accept that. I don't expect these guys to come in here and have the kind of impact Crosby or Ovechkin had as rookies. Keep them here. Let them develop and gain some experience and we'll be better for it in the long run.

I think it's time to develop the young guys but if it's at 10 MPG I wouldn't do it that way, or at least send them to the WJHC like Boston did with Pastrank last season.

Kids gotta play to improve and the press box revolution is something that I'm not a fan of if you want your young guys to succeed.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Seriously?

The 4-3 score flattered the Canucks, their top players were pretty much invisible and the core is very very done.

The start of the season and playoffs against Calgary has the Sedins in pretty obvious decline.

Those dreams of a first rounder for his rental at the deadline are jut that at this point, dreams.

One game that went bad....do we hold it to the same standards that we held the other 4 games or is it now considered the benchmark?

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Seriously?

Preview

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

That's great for fantasy purposes but any watching of that 11 Game sample and it's pretty clear that my post has validity right?

Ya that's great but it's obvious that Daniel isn't an elite goal scorer any more and that was evident last season as well with too much of his production in 4 on 4 OT and on empty net points.

This team isn't any closer this year to playoff success IMO, despite the good start there are too many signs that when other teams crank it up the Canucks can't respond in kind.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
That's great for fantasy purposes but any watching of that 11 Game sample and it's pretty clear that my post has validity right?

Ya that's great but it's obvious that Daniel isn't an elite goal scorer any more and that was evident last season as well with too much of his production in 4 on 4 OT and on empty net points.

This team isn't any closer this year to playoff success IMO, despite the good start there are too many signs that when other teams crank it up the Canucks can't respond in kind.

You don't want players to score in OT?

And the Sedins aren't usually the ones out on empty net points.

arsmaster*

The Sutter with the twins experiment reminds me of the kassian with the twins to start AV's final season here. Sutter is playing a ton more than he should and is being made to look good but the twins look desperately like they want Vrbata.

The PP look also stinks. Get Sutter off that top unit and dress Weber.

Vrbata is being wasted on the back door and Sutter is getting the chances in the prime areas you'd like to see vrbata get.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
So coming back from 4-1 to make it 4-3 as opposed to shutting it down for the night isn't a response?

I watch games with my mom, and I told her "The biggest difference now and then is we don't look like we are completely complacent being down a few goals". I think that's a huge difference. We won't take it lying down. It's about pride. Me as a player, I know, hell, we'll probably lose, but I'd rather lose 5-4 with the team winning say, hey, they gave us a scare rather than losing 7-2 and having the team feeling like they ran away with it.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Sutter with the twins experiment reminds me of the kassian with the twins to start AV's final season here. Sutter is playing a ton more than he should and is being made to look good but the twins look desperately like they want Vrbata.

The PP look also stinks. Get Sutter off that top unit and dress Weber.

Vrbata is being wasted on the back door and Sutter is getting the chances in the prime areas you'd like to see vrbata get.

I like Sutter, but it's just embaressing these last few power plays when he has been on the point with Edler.

arsmaster*

I like Sutter, but it's just embaressing these last few power plays when he has been on the point with Edler.

Sutter is doing very well. I hate him with the twins though. Reeks of justifying the acquisition.

Interesting to see desjardins playing him 21+ a night.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Pretty sure 4 or 5 of Henrik's goals were empty netters last year.

That would bump him down to 68 points, assuming it was 5 empty net goals. That's still pretty damn good, especially in today's NHL.

Assuming other players around him don't have any empty net points, Henrik was 21st in points last year.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Sutter is doing very well. I hate him with the twins though. Reeks of justifying the acquisition.

Sutter has literally become the center version of Hansen. He's completely adequate at most everything, but there are players in the lineup that can do everything better than he. I'm not saying he's obsolete because he has his spot in the lineup still, but he's a complete tool box without a handle, y'know? Where does he fit in? He has everything to fit in, but he's a missing piece in and of himself. Great player, but where do you slot him? He's not a 4th liner, but I don't think he's a regular top 6er either.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver

I'd leave him there just to stick it to Vrbata.

You can't go and pout while giving no effort every time you can't play with the Sedins.

arsmaster*

I'd leave him there just to stick it to Vrbata.

You can't go and pout while giving no effort every time you can't play with the Sedins.

Vrbata is playing fine. The puck just isn't going in.

arsmaster*

Sutter has literally become the center version of Hansen. He's completely adequate at most everything, but there are players in the lineup that can do everything better than he. I'm not saying he's obsolete because he has his spot in the lineup still, but he's a complete tool box without a handle, y'know? Where does he fit in? He has everything to fit in, but he's a missing piece in and of himself. Great player, but where do you slot him? He's not a 4th liner, but I don't think he's a regular top 6er either.

Well put. Can't really complain about the production at the moment though.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
That would bump him down to 68 points, assuming it was 5 empty net goals. That's still pretty damn good, especially in today's NHL.

Assuming other players around him don't have any empty net points, Henrik was 21st in points last year.

Pffffffffffft, arse is a smart guy. But that reasoning is stupid at least to me. Points are points. They are counted one and the same. Many scoring titles could be disputed for EN points. But they aren't. Because that is the be-all, end-all. Many believe that points on empty nets can be transferred on goals that should have counted for some reason didn't, I don't believe that personally. I just think points are points. Backes missed a gimme EN last night. It's not shooting fish into a barrel. It's more like shooting fish into a barrel with cocaine as gunpowder and at least 4 more players yelling at you because they have a "clear
" shot at the net with the sound power of 18,000 people waiting for you to either **** or walk. It pays to be good at possession and the Sedins are a great example of that.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Well put. Can't really complain about the production at the moment though.

Yeah. I'm not really complaining or praising in my mind. It is more, this is how it is, and will be. I don't hate it, I don't love it, it doesn't really illicit a strong response for me. I mean, there are better options on the team, but Sutter isn't the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad