Post-Game Talk: Brandon Sutter; a better goal scorer than Vrbata || Canucks lose 4-3 || Part 2

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Just saw the new lines. How come we don't put Vrbata with the Sedins? We may have to lose 5 straight until that happens.

WD is a mad man.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Just saw the new lines. How come we don't put Vrbata with the Sedins? We may have to lose 5 straight until that happens.

WD is a mad man.

the kid has played 2 nhl games. He needs some reps in the league before getting shifts on the top line.

Meanwhile the Sedins need to get going. They've had little consistency so far this year.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
the kid has played 2 nhl games. He needs some reps in the league before getting shifts on the top line.

Meanwhile the Sedins need to get going. They've had little consistency so far this year.

IMO they had 2 bad nights vs the Ducks and the Blues up until the last 10, other than that they were stellar the other 3 matches where they controlled the play. And even their bad isn't even that bad at all they supress scoring chances against regardless.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007

Vrbata not Virtanen lol

I think if you get the Sedins and Vrbata going, you can look at splitting them up to spread the scoring.

Oh well had the Canucks won last night it would have been a franchise best start. We are ok.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

WD is a mad man.

Alot of rumors have been discussed and vrbata saying they were tough to play with... Its the best option for the lineup but they dont seem to want to go their. So far on the PP together they have not clicked either.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Seems like vrbata doesnt want to play with the sedins and vice versa except on the PP.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
When will we get Hutton on the top PP? I want him to get more minutes there.

I actually think Hutton has potential as a power play quarterback and weaning him on the 2nd unit is the way to go. He's way more likely to get access to the puck and run it there, as opposed to the 1st unit where everything flows through Henrik on the side boards and the Sedins are generally looking to make plays down low and only employ the points for one timers or relays.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Credit where credit is due Tarasenko is a superstar and should have a 5 man shutdown unit after him. Edler-Tanev were exposed for the first time all season.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
While I agree that Sutter isn't traditionally what you like to see in your top 6, I'm not sure that on this team he isn't. We aren't exactly over flowing with top 6 forwards in the first place, with only Sedins, Bo, and Vrbata being definitely 'better' top 6 players. This makes Sutter our 5th best forward, arguably on par with Burrows, so I don't have a big problem with him being used as such. Besides unlike Vrbata and, to some degree Bo, Sutter has at least produced in his minutes so it's hard to be too critical of the decision, unless like Ars you object more to the fact that he is a Benning acquisition and grossly over paid.

I have far more problem with someone like Prust getting second line minutes while Virtanen gets minimal minutes each night. It's like Willie would rather have a player out there who is functionally limited in his abilities but doesn't do anything too bad than someone who is already as good and in future could be much better but might make a few more mistakes early on. The guy has no comprehension that giving a kid some rope to make those mistakes in October gives you a better player in April. He'd just rather roll with a low-upside guy in Prust who will probably give you less in April once the wear and tear of 82 games has taken its toll on his beat up body.

Posted by CanaFan in previous thread:

No, I agree. Sutter has been pretty good out there. I think Burrows is better, by a tiny bit, for the virtue of being a smarter player. But, Sutter has really impressed me this 5 games or whatever. I remember yelling at Hansen incessantly in game 6 vs CGY last year for being nowhere in sight (literally) when the Sedins would cycle below the net. Sutter drops back, and unlike Hansen, moves in. Doesn't hurt his cycle game is a lot better than I thought. It's not great, but better than I expected.

I also agree with you re: Prust/Virtanen. It's stupid. Hell, Dorsett doesn't look out of place on the 2nd line for a few shifts but Virty should be up there. Especially a game like that where he's trying to make noise.

P.S. I don't rip Benning players in and of themselves. They get ripped for big contracts they don't deserve. In most cases I really actually like the players themselves. Except Luca Sbisa, who at least seems like a great person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad