Brandon Saad: The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Anyone following the USA team in the USHL this year?

From the stats Saad's not exactly lighting it up and it looks like he's missed a few games. To be fair the US team is getting beat up and no one's putting up numbers.

Can anyone comment on Saad to date? Still targeted for the OHL next season?

southsidehockey

Sep 29, 2009
Chicago
I've seen Saad play a few times this year. I still think he's got a great deal of skill and a huge upside. He was on a pretty consistent scoring pace early, but as of late has slowed down.

He has some explosiveness to his game, but for whatever reason, his scoring touch has been missing a little bit. He has great play-making ability as well, which explains the high assist total.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will be a star. I think if he adds some more strength to his skill, he's going to be extremely tough to play against.

As far as where he's going next season, I'm not sure what his plans are.

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
I was very surprised when I saw he wasn't on the preliminary WJC roster - I know he's young, but so was Schroeder when he played his first tournament and look how that played out. Saad definitely would've been a dynamic player for the US team's powerplay.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Anyone following the USA team in the USHL this year?

From the stats Saad's not exactly lighting it up and it looks like he's missed a few games. To be fair the US team is getting beat up and no one's putting up numbers.

Can anyone comment on Saad to date? Still targeted for the OHL next season?
He's third in ppg scoring behind Nieto and Shore, so I'd say he's still doing well in the stats department.

As far as where he'll play next year... he'll be a high school senior, so the NCAA is out of the question for '10-'11. He could play USHL or OHL, so I'm guessing it's 99.9999999% probable that he'll go OHL.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
He's third in ppg scoring behind Nieto and Shore, so I'd say he's still doing well in the stats department.

As far as where he'll play next year... he'll be a high school senior, so the NCAA is out of the question for '10-'11. He could play USHL or OHL, so I'm guessing it's 99.9999999% probable that he'll go OHL.

I'll try to dig it up, but I remember reading an article with quotes from Saad saying that his intention all along has been to play for the Spirit in his draft season (next year).

In a way, I think that's a large reason why the Spirit made that highly debated trade with Barrie sending Brodie and Crawford away while they were in 3rd place in the conference. They wanted to get some talent back that could still be around next year because they figure Saad will be coming (or maybe they want the option to still be appealing to him).

Either way, I agree with you. I think he'll be in the OHL next year. In fact, I'd be downright surprised if he isn't.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I'll try to dig it up, but I remember reading an article with quotes from Saad saying that his intention all along has been to play for the Spirit in his draft season (next year).

In a way, I think that's a large reason why the Spirit made that highly debated trade with Barrie sending Brodie and Crawford away while they were in 3rd place in the conference. They wanted to get some talent back that could still be around next year because they figure Saad will be coming (or maybe they want the option to still be appealing to him).

Either way, I agree with you. I think he'll be in the OHL next year. In fact, I'd be downright surprised if he isn't.

I also read those comments from Saad about being in the OHL next season.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I wouldn't be so sure about him going to the OHL next year. In a recent article on the Penguins website (Saad is from Pittsburgh), he was quoted saying,

“I am still 50-50 on whether I want to go to college or to the OHL,” Saad said. “I am still not sure what I want to do. Towards the end of this year I will figure it out and make a decision then.

“I am not too worried about that now. I am just focused on what is ahead and then at the end of the season I will figure it out what I want to do.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=510447&navid=DL|PIT|home

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
Bump.

When I started looking at possible draft candidates for the 2011 draft a couple of years ago, Saad is a guy who intrigued me the most, because I did not see the Oilers drafting within the first-5, rather 5-10.

How has he been playing this year? Obviously I can look up his stats, but what else does he bring to the Spirit other than the fact he can score goals? Is he hard to move off the puck? High IQ? Defensively aware?

I would love to hear the opinions of those who watch him on a regular basis than reports from online sites.

Thanks.

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
I've seen Saginaw a couple times and Saad stood out every time as far and away the best player on the ice. He has a great combination of size and speed- a couple times every game he showed some slick moves stickhandling into the zone and fired off a hard, accurate shot that really impressed. Used his linemates and played defense too. I think he'll go in the top five- the WJC would be a good test though.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Saginaw played Mississauga on Sunday

Saad was one the best players on the ice

I dont know if it was him or a combination of Saginaw playing well/Sauga playing like garbage but Saad seemed to control the play

Character and work ethic dosnt seem like an issue

however i dont know how a guy this skilled dosnt make junior team

PablitoArg

Dec 27, 2009
Ottawa
he's Lebanese... we're all superstars in our heads..

Work ethic will drop once he signs a big contract. Although we always show up in playoffs & in big games. Trade mark of Lebs..

Kadri same thing...

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Isn't he Syrian..

Haha they're definitely a little more level..

That whole region was just Syria though at one point.. And Syria still likes it that way.. Maintaing no embassy for example..

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I hear him hyped up as a power forward, but in limited viewings he's not as gritty/physical as I was hoping. Big, fast and offensively talented though, protects the puck well too. No idea what his character's like.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I heard power forward too and the game I saw he was no power forward. Very very small sample though as I only saw the one game.

Has he been playing with McFarland?

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I think he can do the power forward thing when asked. I remember a game he him played in the USHL with the U18 squad against the Chicago Steel: didn't have a hit all game, until he came out and flat out leveled every opposing player on the ice. It was an incredible statement shift for a 17 year old in the USHL.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I'm very high on this kid. I see him becoming a Hartnell like player. A consistent 30-30 guy with a great physical presence. Should be a top 10 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad