Brandon Pirri

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
he's a canadian playing ncaa....from what i've seen he's the best on PRI by a long shot...should make team canada -20 next year. probably much better offensively than Nazem Kadri.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
With Pirri's two assists last night he is tied for 10th overall in Division I scoring and is 3rd in assists.

Last edited:

JSilvius*

I think Brandon Pirri was a steal at 59th overall. He was younger than everyone else in the OPJHL last season and was easily the most dynamic offensive player in the league, playing for the Streetsville Derbys and than the Georgetown Raiders if I'm not mistaken. Playing for Junior A clubs might have hurt his stock a little bit, but I really don't know how the Hawks got him at 59. If he can bulk up a bit and get stronger on the puck, he will be a really good player in the future. Really well-rounded.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Congrats on the AHL scoring title. Guess it wasn't enough to earn a call up during meaningless games.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
This guy needs to be traded to get his opportunity. Been a huge fan dating back to his draft year, just great hands and hockey sense on this kid.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This guy needs to be traded to get his opportunity. Been a huge fan dating back to his draft year, just great hands and hockey sense on this kid.

Agreed. The fact that they are playing Drew Leblanc at 2C right now even though he is not eligible for the playoffs says it all. We've need a 2C all year and have the AHL scoring leader in the system. It looks like Pirri is going to be dealt for scraps in the offseason. Bowman just won't give the guy a chance. I wish he would explain why.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
You almost feel bad for the guy. Leaving school to go pro early, only to get stuck in the AHL for three years. Hopefully he'll be an NHL regular as soon as next year.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He's not "stuck".

If he was on a team like Columbus, Carolina, Florida he would have played more than 6 NHL games by now. Look at his childhood friend Reilly Smith who took a pretty similar route to him, similar level of prospects both coming out of Ontario Jr. A in 2009 and he's been given an opportunity in his first season of pro to thrive in Dallas. There's such a jam on forward in Chicago and a team that is singularly focused on winning a Stanley Cup doesn't have a ton of time for kids trying to crack the roster whose defensive games might need refining at the NHL level, and they're not exactly starving for his offensive abilities. He's a different type of player than Shaw and Saad, doesn't mean he's not NHL-worthy though.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
If he was on a team like Columbus, Carolina, Florida he would have played more than 6 NHL games by now. Look at his childhood friend Reilly Smith who took a pretty similar route to him, similar level of prospects both coming out of Ontario Jr. A in 2009 and he's been given an opportunity in his first season of pro to thrive in Dallas. There's such a jam on forward in Chicago and a team that is singularly focused on winning a Stanley Cup doesn't have a ton of time for kids trying to crack the roster whose defensive games might need refining at the NHL level, and they're not exactly starving for his offensive abilities. He's a different type of player than Shaw and Saad, doesn't mean he's not NHL-worthy though.

I never said he wasn't NHL worthy, and clearly he'd be in the NHL on a lesser team. But he's not "stuck" in the AHL. He was absolutely not ready for the NHL last year and has gotten better, and more consistent, as this season went along. He's likely ready now, but I don't think you could have said that at the beginning of the year, or even half-way through it.

I would think, if Pirri was given the choice, he'd rather wait an extra year to play for a team like Chicago, than get pushed into the NHL on a team like Columbus, Florida or Edmonton.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I never said he wasn't NHL worthy, and clearly he'd be in the NHL on a lesser team. But he's not "stuck" in the AHL. He was absolutely not ready for the NHL last year and has gotten better, and more consistent, as this season went along. He's likely ready now, but I don't think you could have said that at the beginning of the year, or even half-way through it.

I would think, if Pirri was given the choice, he'd rather wait an extra year to play for a team like Chicago, than get pushed into the NHL on a team like Columbus, Florida or Edmonton.

Lol, I'm pretty sure if you gave Pirri some truth serum and asked if he wanted to come to Columbus, Florida or Edmonton, he would go in a heartbeat. Making $60k vs $600k, not a lot of people are going to pass that up sorry to inform you.

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
Agreed. The fact that they are playing Drew Leblanc at 2C right now even though he is not eligible for the playoffs says it all. We've need a 2C all year and have the AHL scoring leader in the system. It looks like Pirri is going to be dealt for scraps in the offseason. Bowman just won't give the guy a chance. I wish he would explain why.

We all know the hawks have struggled this year, it's been hard to watch without a 2C. But after Bowman's disastrous off-seaon putting this team together, he needs to admit his mistake (one of many) and add a small, weak-d young player with no pro playoff experience to the team to play 2C minutes. Those guys thrive in the NHL playoffs. And man does this team need offense.

But we know Stan will go with "proven" players over AHL all-stars. And he'll trade Pirri away for scraps when he's a 2C right now! On a great team. And making nothing. GMs don't want those guys, they offer scraps. Or maybe their all wrong, or hate Stan so much they won't make a deal with him to improve their team. I get lost in the logic sometimes. I have a flowchart in my head and trust me, every outcome says Bowman sucks.

//

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

You're saying this as if those teams have a successful track record of developing prospects.

Chicago isn't in a rush, they're the best team in the league. 3 years isn't even that long. Slava Voynov played in the AHL for three years before making it as an NHLer, and look at the role he plays now.

He'll get his chance next season.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
You're saying this as if those teams have a successful track record of developing prospects.

Chicago isn't in a rush, they're the best team in the league. 3 years isn't even that long. Slava Voynov played in the AHL for three years before making it as an NHLer, and look at the role he plays now.

He'll get his chance next season.

Don't know about developing neccesarily, I just think they tend to pick crappy players in their drafts which is one of the reasons for their perpetual suckiness. These teams probably never would have picked Pirri in the first place because their scouting isn't all that terrific probably.

But yeah, hopefully he gets his shot. If he doesn't by the end of next season I hope Bowman does him a favour and gives him a better opportunity. There's also the stigma of guys being buried in the AHL that long, with Danault and McNeill coming up to the farm next year they're going to be getting minutes most likely and might even get call-ups ahead of Pirri. We will see though. Hope you're right.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Lol, I'm pretty sure if you gave Pirri some truth serum and asked if he wanted to come to Columbus, Florida or Edmonton, he would go in a heartbeat. Making $60k vs $600k, not a lot of people are going to pass that up sorry to inform you.

If Pirri believes he's an NHL player, he'd pick Chicago. He's going to make money regardless, and it's not like players in the AHL are struggling to get by.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
If Pirri believes he's an NHL player, he'd pick Chicago. He's going to make money regardless, and it's not like players in the AHL are struggling to get by.

I don't know what type of job you have but if somebody is waving $500,000 dollars in my face I'd take it instantly. He's obviously not struggling to get by, but he makes as much as an accountant right now. Easy to type stuff about winning teams and this and that, but if your future is at stake it's different, he has been passed for call-ups this year, it's easy for doubt to seep into your mind. If you think he wouldn't jump on an opportunity to go to a lesser team an instant you are either fooling yourself or crazy. The potential of playing on the Blackhawks without any kind of certainty or guarantee probably isn't worth losing $500k+ to me, doubt it would be to you if you weren't a Blackhawks fan and looking at this objectively. Sports isn't a true meritocracy sorry to inform you - luck, opportunity and the right fit play a role in your future success just like in any other walk of life. Don't know why Pirri would somehow feel beholden or indebted to the Blackhawks for no reason when the next year or two could determine whether he's an AHL/Europe scorer or NHL player.

PA Parenteau is a pretty good example, ask him if he would have liked to get his first legit contract before he was 30 years old. He was on the farm for a deep Rangers team that made the playoffs every year and then got an opportunity on waivers with an awful Islanders team and parlayed it into a contract worth over 10 million dollars.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad