Brandon Gormley's Fast Start

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
6gp 5g 7a 12pts

For a guy who fell in the draft because he seemed too low-risk/low-reward, his upside is really starting to shine through, it seems. What do Q fans make of this? Should we expect more of the same? Does he have offensive upside that could potentially translate to the next level?

My intention is not to hype him up, its just that I did not expect this, and I'm curious as to what has changed. Any theories?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I was shocked the Islanders didn't pick him, but I love the Nino pick.

Gormley's going to be a great player, I really wish he was in the Eastern Conference so I could watch him more during his career.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
6gp 5g 7a 12pts

For a guy who fell in the draft because he seemed too low-risk/low-reward, his upside is really starting to shine through, it seems. What do Q fans make of this? Should we expect more of the same? Does he have offensive upside that could potentially translate to the next level?

My intention is not to hype him up, its just that I did not expect this, and I'm curious as to what has changed. Any theories?

What I think about him...

- underrated
- VERY intelligent, make always the good decision with and without the puck
- not the most spectacular but very effective
- no weakness
- read the play well
- work hard
- good shot
- temporize the game well
Potential: two-way top-pairing d-man (at best), (at worst) two-way second pairing d-man like Roman Hamrlik now ... imo he is a low risk.

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
I watched him last week versus Saint John, it's clear he doesn't belong in the Q anymore, he was playing at a level beyond the other players. His combination of hockey sense, panic threshold, and puck movement is high-end.

This is a case where it's a shame about the whole CHL-NHL thing, because Gormley is good enough to play pro hockey but Phx doesn't want him in the NHL yet so the AHL now would be ideal.

HockeyAndTheSox

Let's Go Pens&Yotes!
Sep 19, 2008
AZ & PA
I watched him last week versus Saint John, it's clear he doesn't belong in the Q anymore, he was playing at a level beyond the other players. His combination of hockey sense, panic threshold, and puck movement is high-end.

This is a case where it's a shame about the whole CHL-NHL thing, because Gormley is good enough to play pro hockey but Phx doesn't want him in the NHL yet so the AHL now would be ideal.

Forgive me for forgetting, but how old is Gormley now? Is it only a year he needs to be eligible for AHL? Can he go on a try-out to San Antonio after the CHL season is over?

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
Forgive me for forgetting, but how old is Gormley now? Is it only a year he needs to be eligible for AHL? Can he go on a try-out to San Antonio after the CHL season is over?

He's only 18 so it will be NHL or Q again next year, but yes he could and I would fully expect him to join San Antonio once his junior year is over.

I like Corey's point about panic threshold. Hard to describe it any other way that that, but I think that's what makes Gormley so good.

He seems to have the ability to hold onto the puck so much longer than other guys, which allows him to create other options.

He should log a lot of minutes at the WJC, potentially on the shutdown pair, so that will be a true measuring stick for him.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
The Gormley/Fowler drop was shocking and I think these two kids will show all the teams that passed on them what they missed out on. Especially if Gormley is adding the offensive aspect to the game he will be a very good NHL dman.

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010

No he has 2 years left, which is ridiculous. If Phoenix keeps him down that long (which they may not, but it's possible) it will be mostly lost development for Gormley in my opinion.

This whole "can't leave the CHL until you're 20 thing" has to end. I hate it on so many levels for prospect development.

HockeyAndTheSox

Let's Go Pens&Yotes!
Sep 19, 2008
AZ & PA
No he has 2 years left, which is ridiculous. If Phoenix keeps him down that long (which they may not, but it's possible) it will be mostly lost development for Gormley in my opinion.

This whole "can't leave the CHL until you're 20 thing" has to end. I hate it on so many levels for prospect development.

Totally agreed. Hopefully Gormley will replace Jovanovski next season.

Morris - Yandle
Aucoin - Ekman-Larsson
Gormley - Lepisto

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
I said it before the draft, I said it at the draft, i said it after the draft and I'll say it again, Brandon Gormley will be the best defensemen to come out of the 2010 NHL entry draft.

He's a mix of Tomas Kaberle and Niklas Lidstrom. He doesn't have Lidstrom's pffensive creativity creativity, but he plays a similar smart defensive game. He's has Kaberle's patience with the puck and has tremendous hockey sense.

Don't expect him to get 2 points a game in any league, but he should easily crack 60 points this season in the Q. (Would be more, but he'll be playing in the WJC I would assume)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad