Brandon Gormley

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Hey guys. Brandon Gormley is someone has been thrown around with who the Panthers might pick come the draft. On the Panthers board there has been some discussion about him as well. Can you guys shed some light on what Gormley is like-- his skill set, his strengths and weaknesses and what his potential is?

Appreciate it!

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I don't understand the hype personally. I'll take Fowler, Gudbranson, and Pysyk ahead of him every day, so he's #4 in my book on defense.

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I haven't seen a healthy Gudbranson much (he had mono earlier, right?), but Gormley is fantastic. Smooth skater, and above all a smart hockey player. One of the best defencemen I've seen in the Q in a while.

getzforfighting*

played against and with gormley few years back. smart as a whip with the puck, not overly physical but makes very smart decisions with the puck and also has great confidence with moncton thusfar.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well one of the girls i know has plans with him to hookup next weekend so ill ask her what she thinks of him haha

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
A great 2-way Dman that can move the puck like the best of them.

His strongest points is his hockey smarts and skating. He knows when to jump into the attack and where to be.

He's just a fantastic defenseman.

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
Does he remind anyone else of former QMJHL player Marc-Eduoard Vlasic?

Similar, but I think Gormley is capable of doing everything he does a notch better.

Gormley is the kind of guy who doesn't really stick out in one area, but he's good at pretty much everything. An excellent skater, perhaps the best in the Q. Scary, scary smart, reads the play like few others.. like he has a 6th sense out there.. Bob Mackenzie had a scout in his preliminary rankings call him Nick Lidstrom-smart.

Very sound defensively, not a punishing hitter, plays very well one on one.. really doesn't get beat often. In fact if I can have one guy to play a 1 on 1 from the entire Q it's Gormley. Plays a shutdown role for Moncton, mostly drawing the other teams top lines.. Hardly ever makes mistakes, not sure what that poster earlier is saying that he makes bone-headed plays... he's well renowned to play a simple mistake-free game.

Gormley is an excellent passer, countless times has set up breakaways by threading the needle up center ice.. great first pass.. The hardest shot on the Moncton team, clocked in the mid-90's.. He can QB a PP well.. not exceptionally well a la Ryan Ellis but a good one nonetheless.

Overall nothing really stands out. If you were watching him just tuning in and out for one game you're likely to be unimpressed. If you really watch him though and break down his game you'll see just how effective he is. Personally, I think he'll be right there with Gudbranson for the 4th overall pick, team's preference really.

I think he's one of the safest players in this draft to take. I think at worst he'll be a serviceable top-4 guy, while if he really continues to blossom it's not unlikely that he'll be a #1 guy. I think most likely he'll be a smart top pairing d-man for years.

The guy really carries himself like a pro, much like Gudbranson. Really can't go wrong with either of them.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Similar, but I think Gormley is capable of doing everything he does a notch better.

Gormley is the kind of guy who doesn't really stick out in one area, but he's good at pretty much everything. An excellent skater, perhaps the best in the Q. Scary, scary smart, reads the play like few others.. like he has a 6th sense out there.. Bob Mackenzie had a scout in his preliminary rankings call him Nick Lidstrom-smart.

Very sound defensively, not a punishing hitter, plays very well one on one.. really doesn't get beat often. In fact if I can have one guy to play a 1 on 1 from the entire Q it's Gormley. Plays a shutdown role for Moncton, mostly drawing the other teams top lines.. Hardly ever makes mistakes, not sure what that poster earlier is saying that he makes bone-headed plays... he's well renowned to play a simple mistake-free game.

Gormley is an excellent passer, countless times has set up breakaways by threading the needle up center ice.. great first pass.. The hardest shot on the Moncton team, clocked in the mid-90's.. He can QB a PP well.. not exceptionally well a la Ryan Ellis but a good one nonetheless.

Overall nothing really stands out. If you were watching him just tuning in and out for one game you're likely to be unimpressed. If you really watch him though and break down his game you'll see just how effective he is. Personally, I think he'll be right there with Gudbranson for the 4th overall pick, team's preference really.

I think he's one of the safest players in this draft to take. I think at worst he'll be a serviceable top-4 guy, while if he really continues to blossom it's not unlikely that he'll be a #1 guy. I think most likely he'll be a smart top pairing d-man for years.

The guy really carries himself like a pro, much like Gudbranson. Really can't go wrong with either of them.

If he can do eveything a notch above Vlasic, then i would very impressed.

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
If he can do eveything a notch above Vlasic, then i would very impressed.

Vlasic is a very good defenceman for sure. Very underrated around here.

I'm not saying Gormley will do everything better but he is certainly capable of reaching those levels. IMO if he continues to improve like he has been, he will be better than Vlasic, by a fair margin.

They are both similar in that they are unspectacular players, but that are very important to their teams success.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I've only managed to see him play once in Halifax this year... he reminded me of Bouwmeester with a slight edge. Very positionally sound, great skater. He's not a player that really stuck out to me unless you are actually watching him, he plays a quiet game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad