Brandon Gormley

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I just saw him at the ADT Canada-Russia challenge, but from that viewing (which admittedly is not enough) I'd be surprised to see him go top 5.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Bump:

So, hows his development going? What does he project to become? 40 point two way defencman?

Any NHL comparisons?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Bump:

So, hows his development going? What does he project to become? 40 point two way defencman?

Any NHL comparisons?

If all goes well, he should be a 50+ defenseman. He likely bolstered his stock a bit from his play at the Ivan Hlinka tournament, but given that the level of competition in that tournament wasn't at it's best, I think his QMJHL season will be a far better indicator.

phil macrackin

Sep 28, 2005
Definitely a solid bet to go top 10, maybe top 5. He hasn't gotten as much love yet compared to Fowler and a few others because it seems scouts are slower to get on board with Q prospects. But I've seen the kid play about 10 times and he's a stud.

Amazing poise and hockey sense, excellent offensive talent and decent size. There are no visible holes in his game and is a solid character off the ice. It's a longshot right now, but I wouldn't even be totally shocked to see him in the conversation with Hall, Fowler and Kabanov by the time it's all said and done.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I honestly think he'll go ahead of Kabanov, but it won't be in the top-5.

Take that for it's worth.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Definitely a solid bet to go top 10, maybe top 5. He hasn't gotten as much love yet compared to Fowler and a few others because it seems scouts are slower to get on board with Q prospects. But I've seen the kid play about 10 times and he's a stud.

Amazing poise and hockey sense, excellent offensive talent and decent size. There are no visible holes in his game and is a solid character off the ice. It's a longshot right now, but I wouldn't even be totally shocked to see him in the conversation with Hall, Fowler and Kabanov by the time it's all said and done.
I agree with everything. I like him better than Fowler...the first time I saw him was in one of his first 5 games with the Wildcats and he was playing like a veteran...and he was way better than Simon Després. We'll have to see how things will go for him this year, but if he has a good season, he'll be up there with anyone in the draft talks.

One thing that might hurt his stocks though is the fact that he should not be at the U-20. Canada will once again have a stacked team and it will be really hard for him to get a spot. On the other hand, Fowler, Kabanov, Hall and other potential top 5 pick are all locks to make their team.

He's a special talent though...

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I think Gormley will be giving Fowler a run for top dman and could go top 3 in the draft next year. Fowler being a year older hockey wise has had a bit more development time too and in hockey world that is ALOT. Both are different style players, but Gormley's IQ on the ice is way above any player of his age group. I have seen both play Fowler and Gormley and though i have been super impressed with Fowler and love his game, i really love Fowler, I just see Gormley as a smarter player, i think he has 60+ point upside in the NHL, something like a Lidstrom style player, he is not the most physical guy out there, but the way he thinks the game out and how smooth and poised he is with and without the puck is just down right scary, his timing on things is amazing and he makes everything look SUPER easy on the ice, his passes are dead on everytime, he has a booming slapshot, the guy does not panic at all with the puck, he controls the tempo of the game and makes the game come to him.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I think Gormley will be giving Fowler a run for top dman and could go top 3 in the draft next year. Fowler being a year older hockey wise has had a bit more development time too and in hockey world that is ALOT. Both are different style players, but Gormley's IQ on the ice is way above any player of his age group. I have seen both play Fowler and Gormley and though i have been super impressed with Fowler and love his game, i really love Fowler, I just see Gormley as a smarter player, i think he has 60+ point upside in the NHL, something like a Lidstrom style player, he is not the most physical guy out there, but the way he thinks the game out and how smooth and poised he is with and without the puck is just down right scary, his timing on things is amazing and he makes everything look SUPER easy on the ice, his passes are dead on everytime, he has a booming slapshot, the guy does not panic at all with the puck, he controls the tempo of the game and makes the game come to him.
I agree he plays a similar style as Lidstrom, but I don't see him produving that much. I see him more as a 45-50 points player...

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I agree he plays a similar style as Lidstrom, but I don't see him produving that much. I see him more as a 45-50 points player...

well i found last year he held back offensivly alot his vision, shot and ability to create from the point i can see him getting higher totals than what people think.

MooseLight

Aug 3, 2005
I agree! Gormley played on the first D pair (PP and PK included) of the best defensive team in Q, and he was still standing out, it must means something...

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
One guy posted a report on here about that camp and said he looked outstanding at it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=670147

Brandon Gormley- played unbelievable, best player in on the ice in all 3 games. I thought fowler was the best D at 17 I’d ever seen, I’m not so sure any more. Every time he was out there he was making great passes, finishing hits, breaking up 2 on 1’s, shutting down forwards, beating guys 1 on 1. had a goal and 4 assists in 3 games. His skating is good, he has tons of skill, his poise is unreal, whenever a forchecker came at him he made them miss and made a tape to tape pass or skated by them and out. Nothing rattles the kid.

FlamesWillRiseAgain

May 18, 2009
Sounds like an exciting young player, I look forward to seeing him play. Hopefully Sportsnet televises a game or two of his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad