Proposal: Brandon Gormley to the Isles

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
The Isles have had a need to upgrade the defense for almost 10 years, but that need has now turned to desperation. I have never seen a blueline this thin. There is Streit, Hammer, McDonald and Carkner. Hammer and Carkner play real physical, drop the mitts, and thus miss quite a few games. So if either one of those two, or the 36 year old Streit misses an extended period of time, I wouldn't even want to imagine how pathetic the D would be this year.

With that said, Garth always said if he is going to make a trade, he wants to bring in a guy that fits the system and direction (youth movement) of the team. One guy that I think would be perfect and could step right in is Brandon Gormley. As good as a prospect as he is (14th overall pick the year we took Nino), the Coyotes have David Rundblad and Oliver Ekman-Larsson who are prospects rated just as high, if not slightly higher than Gormley. That along with the fact that the Coyotes have a solid veteran blueline in Keith Yandle, Derek Morris, Klesa, Michalek and Schlemko, could perhaps make Gormley available at the right price.

Gormley will be 21 next month and I see him ready to make the jump this year into a regular role in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of De Haan in his style of play, except Gormley is 6'2 200 pounds, so unlike De Haan, there are no size concerns. He would easily be a top-4 D-man for many years to come. So along with being able to step right in this year, he is a long term solution.

So what could we give up for him???? Personally, with the state of our current D along with our forward depth, I'd give up Grabner for Gormley. If not Grabner, maybe our first rounder this year. I know that is very risky, as the top 10 is very solid, but at some point we have to take a chance if we ever want to turn the corner.

A D this year of

Streit Hamonic

McDonald Gormley

Carkner Donovan isn't so bad

Thoughts??

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I think Snow will be looking for someone who much more experienced and proven than Gormley. Also, if they isles really were high on the kid they would've drafted him.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Snow will be looking at someone that can play solid for the next 3-4 years..possibly 5, but no more. I don't think he anticipated the level of injuries we've sustained for the past 5 or so years...which is kinda ridiculous if you ask me. It's good to have players that CAN play top minutes on top lines and also stay healthy...long enough for our prospects to learn from and better their play until the day that they can step in to that top position whether top 2 or 4.

In saying that..he may just trade for a top 4 dman under a contract no longer than 5 years left on it...probably 3ish is more ideal.

I doubt we are gonna do anything until the summer though...then we have a better feeling on what we need after we can see the development of our prospects.

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006
And your solution to this thin defense is to trade a first round pick, which has a very good shot at landing Seth Jones, for Brandon Gormley, a guy no more seasoned than Ness or Donovan.

All for trading the first. All fir getting a dman. Put Grabs on the table. But bring back something more substantial than Gormley.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The Isles have had a need to upgrade the defense for almost 10 years, but that need has now turned to desperation. I have never seen a blueline this thin. There is Streit, Hammer, McDonald and Carkner. Hammer and Carkner play real physical, drop the mitts, and thus miss quite a few games. So if either one of those two, or the 36 year old Streit misses an extended period of time, I wouldn't even want to imagine how pathetic the D would be this year.

With that said, Garth always said if he is going to make a trade, he wants to bring in a guy that fits the system and direction (youth movement) of the team. One guy that I think would be perfect and could step right in is Brandon Gormley. As good as a prospect as he is (14th overall pick the year we took Nino), the Coyotes have David Rundblad and Oliver Ekman-Larsson who are prospects rated just as high, if not slightly higher than Gormley. That along with the fact that the Coyotes have a solid veteran blueline in Keith Yandle, Derek Morris, Klesa, Michalek and Schlemko, could perhaps make Gormley available at the right price.

Gormley will be 21 next month and I see him ready to make the jump this year into a regular role in the NHL. He reminds me a lot of De Haan in his style of play, except Gormley is 6'2 200 pounds, so unlike De Haan, there are no size concerns. He would easily be a top-4 D-man for many years to come. So along with being able to step right in this year, he is a long term solution.

So what could we give up for him???? Personally, with the state of our current D along with our forward depth, I'd give up Grabner for Gormley. If not Grabner, maybe our first rounder this year. I know that is very risky, as the top 10 is very solid, but at some point we have to take a chance if we ever want to turn the corner.

A D this year of

Streit Hamonic

McDonald Gormley

Thoughts??

I hope Snow is not making desperation trades, based on a 48 game season, in which the isles were picked by most hockey observors, to be lottery bound again.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
how about we go back in time and draft Kulikov instead of DeHaan like we should of!! LOL
I think with all the young prospects in the system and the fact that Visnovsky is probably not coming and there is a possibility that this could be Striet's last season some veteran D help is a must. Really have the same feeling as others that Martinek is about all you can expect from Snow this season which means another bad defensive season and another high draft pick....

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
how about we go back in time and draft Kulikov instead of DeHaan like we should of!! LOL
I think with all the young prospects in the system and the fact that Visnovsky is probably not coming and there is a possibility that this could be Striet's last season some veteran D help is a must. Really have the same feeling as others that Martinek is about all you can expect from Snow this season which means another bad defensive season and another high draft pick....

Yeah, tell me about it.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I hope Snow is not making desperation trades, based on a 48 game season, in which the isles were picked by most hockey observors, to be lottery bound again.

First power ranking I saw showed isles at 29th, ahead of Columbus, and that's where this team is.

And Gormley shows promise but has shown nothing more than deHaan or Donovan or Reinhart or Pelech or Mayfield or Kichton or Russo or Pokka have shown to this point.

If the Isles get Visnovsky and sign Martinek, add another depth player like Eaton, things will be greatly improved.

Keeping them out of the lottery though, that will hinge greatly on Nabokov, Grabner, Boyes and ONE of Strome, Niederreiter or another prospect making a huge impact this year.

Anything is possible in a short season.

Tavares scored 54pts in his last 48 games last year and has played far better so far this year. There is hope, even though present day reality isn't pretty, from a lot of angles ;)

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
And Gormley shows promise but has shown nothing more than deHaan or Donovan or Reinhart or Pelech or Mayfield or Kichton or Russo or Pokka have shown to this point.
Memorial Cup champ and Tournament allstar (leading D-man scorer)
WJC allstar and best defenseman award

Just saying. But still just a prospect at this point.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

A D this year of

Streit Hamonic

McDonald Gormley

Thoughts??

As a few others have said, I wouldn't give up our 1st pick for anything but a crazy good return since it may end up as Jones or MacKinnon. I like where Gormley is headed in his development, but he won't be as good as those other two will, and it is arguable that starting next year Jones will be NHL ready, and better, from day 1.

If you are trading that first rounder I'd want to see a more established defensive prospect coming back. Yes we would have to offer more than the first, but that would be ok.

Not related to the first round pick - I wouldn't mind pursuing PK Subban. If Montreal is running into a wall with negotiations over him then this might be the time to strike. They might even take a flyer on CdH as part of the package back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad