Rumor: Brandon Davidson close to a contract - declines PTO from Oilers

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I’m surprised he wouldn’t take the PTO. We’re his top destination, and there’s a very good chance he could earn a contract after the Sekera injury

Reactions: BHD

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’m surprised he wouldn’t take the PTO. We’re his top destination, and there’s a very good chance he could earn a contract after the Sekera injury

He thought he could get a contract elsewhere without having to go through the PTO bother. Looks like he was right.

My guess as to a timeline of events:

Oilers draw up list of potential UFA options, probably includes Jerabek and Davidson from the get go
Sekera hurt
Oilers reach out to UFA options
Both Jerabek and Davidson decline PTOS
Oilers decide on Jerabek as the guy that fills their needs better and sign him

I still wouldn’t be shocked to see Bieksa in on a PTO even though he is absolutely done. Chia loves his vet presences in the room.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He thought he could get a contract elsewhere without having to go through the PTO bother. Looks like he was right.

My guess as to a timeline of events:

Oilers draw up list of potential UFA options, probably includes Jerabek and Davidson from the get go
Sekera hurt
Oilers reach out to UFA options
Both Jerabek and Davidson decline PTOS
Oilers decide on Jerabek as the guy that fills their needs better and sign him

I still wouldn’t be shocked to see Bieksa in on a PTO even though he is absolutely done. Chia loves his vet presences in the room.
I wouldn't even care if it was just a PTO. Gives us another vet to play some pre-season games so our existing vets don't get hurt before the season even starts. Just no contract for him. No way.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wish the isles would have brought him back. He’s big, can skate, and knows how to defend. I think he can be a steady bottom pairing defensive Defensman in this league.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wish the isles would have brought him back. He’s big, can skate, and knows how to defend. I think he can be a steady bottom pairing defensive Defensman in this league.

The Isles are chock full of bottom pair options... a small army in fact. We need quality and legitimate top-4 options.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Final gut punch from Snow? Or first from Lou?

Final gut punch from Snow. We have enough bottom-pairing guys, if you wanted a warm body to play defense for the rest of the year kick tires on someone like Jason Garrison who was rotting in the AHL or make a trade similar to the Chimera-Wagner one.

It was another arrogant, "the hockey community expects me to zig but I'm such a smart GM I'm gonna zag" move. He knew his job was dependent on Tavares sticking around, so why sell and gain future assets? Instead, burn a solid future 3rd on an entirely unneeded player and then BS the Isles fans how you expect Davidson to be a part of our future.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Trading, re acquiring, trading away again within a year. Pretty sure he’d rather take his chances of relative stability elsewhere, especially if there’s an actual contract being negotiated.

None of that is screwing with a player. That's the way the industry works. Yes, he is well within his rights to sign elsewhere, but he knows how it works. Marginal players like him are traded all the time, Hell, if they didn't reaquire him his NHL career may have been over. He could have hit the AHL and never made it back for all we know. You are right, he obviously is opting to sign elsewhere (full time instead of a PTO), but that doesn't mean he was screwed with.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
hopefully the PTO offer was before the Jerabek signing.. No way he signs a PTO after seeing Oilers sign Jerabek to a contract.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Trading, re acquiring, trading away again within a year. Pretty sure he’d rather take his chances of relative stability elsewhere, especially if there’s an actual contract being negotiated.

Pretty sure any player would, regardless or who it is or what team, no?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The final gutpunch from Snow to Islander fans. Team is out of the playoffs at the deadline, don't trade JT or any other UFAs, instead burn a 2019 3rd on a guy who Lou doesn't even give a qualifying offer to.

Freakin idiot!
Consider that the receipt for the Reinhart trade. :sarcasm:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It’s about time he stopped letting the oilers screw around with him.

He was traded twice. I’m not sure how that’s screwing him around.

He was drafted and developed here, and traded. It happens. He was reacquaired on waivers, and the Islanders overpaid to get him. Don’t blame him for not wanting to sign a PTO, but he has hardly been screwed over.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yea poor Davidson. I'm sure he would've preferred being sent to the AHL instead of the Oilers claiming him on waivers last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad