Branden Troock, RW, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
After coming back from an illness, which caused him to miss the entire season. It's looking like he is coming back into form this season, alot of magazine's had him going top 60, and some had him being the highest rated forward from the WHL in the 2012 Draft. Thoughts?

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
It's good to see Troock stand up and make himself known last night, but I'll need to see over a course of many games. Troock has the build of a power forward, but he has a lot to prove to a lot of people. He could be a player that could be heard from before the years over or disappear overnight. Its too bad he's stuck in Seattle, he's going to have to be head and shoulders above the next player over there in order to get some recognition.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Love his game. Good skater for a 6'3 player. Good hands, good along the wall.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2011/10/officially-on-radar-branden-troock.html

Early this season I see alot of similarities between Troock and another WHL powerforward named Adam Lowry. I loved Lowry's game early last season for Swift Current and he transferred his skills into a 3rd round selection by the Winnipeg Jets in the 2011 NHL draft. I think Troock could do the same this season, despite all the ups and downs he's had to overcome fairly early in his hockey career.

I think he has more pure skill than Lowry does.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Like his game alot. Going to go under the radar I think and end up being a Lowry/Stone steal in the late rounds.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Like his game alot. Going to go under the radar I think and end up being a Lowry/Stone steal in the late rounds.

With the way he hung around the ratings last season, despite his injuries, I think he's probably on many teams' radar.

I think he might go inside the top 90 and if not, some team is going to get very lucky.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Get to see him on Friday and Saturday night. Pumped, now looking forward to this game for sure.

Seattle has a few good kids to watch, mostly overagers though.

I really liked FW Chance Lund last time I saw them play. He's 6'4 and skates like the wind.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
As I've heard. I'll keep an eye on him for sure. Any other overager that I should keep an eye on?

No, not really.

But '94 Justin Hickman blew me away in my first viewing of him this season. Big kid and a great offensive player. Totally under the radar right now. I actually might like his potential more then Troock.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
I got my first look at Branden Troock last night. He is a physical specimen but has a long way in order to become a consistant, effective hockey player. Seattle is a team that is filled with a lot of larger bodies but not a lot of team speed. A very individualistic team that tries to scores goal from simply throwing pucks on net and crashing net. Troock looks to have a power forward type game but doesn't really engage himself in the play. It's too bad because Troock had a lot of friends and family at the game but just not a lot happened from him or his teammates. I would say he would be a top 20 draft eligible WHLers, but I doubt he would crack top 15. You never know though, someone might see his stature and may take a gamble on that.

Seattle much like Portland earlier this year had heavy legs. A problem that a lot of the US teams have when they come to Edmonton.

Ogopogo*

I saw him play last night in Edmonton. He didn't do anything that really made him stand out but, man did he ever have a lot of family & friends at the game. Maybe 40 or 50.

I was really there to see Calvin Pickard. He made three or four very good saves and appears to be the victim of a bad team in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad