Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
While Brady's point totals are not bad, how are they not higher if he has elite hockey IQ? Instead he's basically keeping up with a guy like Connor Brown or a Batherson or a rookie Norris.

I would expect a player with that kind of hockey IQ to blow these players out of the water production wise.

What hockey IQ))))))))) He is a disaster on a PP, with so much less pressure.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Tkachuk is not the three all stars forwards Sens need to win the Stanley Cup and we have only one so far in Stutzle. Only those three have to be paid top dollars. Can we just not use Tkachuk, points, so much more, hockey IQ, elite, all stars in one sentence and just move forward already. Tkachuk is a nice utility player to have. Should not be paid more then 5 million a year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk is not the three all stars forwards Sens need to win the Stanley Cup and we have only one so far in Stutzle. Only those three have to be paid top dollars. Can we just not use Tkachuk, points, so much more, hockey IQ, elite, all stars in one sentence and just move forward already. Tkachuk is a nice utility player to have. Should not be paid more then 5 million a year.
:facepalm:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Stone has hit 73 points once, he is a 60 point player, and mostly the lower half. Unlike Jungle beats post he did not hit 65 points in his first three seasons EVEN ONCE, and he had a Brady rookie year level 54 points in his third season. He’s not a high scoring winger, he is a 60 point scoring winger with a boat load of intangibles. It’s the intangibles that make him special.

As for his AHL stats, Norris and Batherson both blow him out of the water, no question, and both have potential to score similar numbers in the NHL at least.

The legend of Mark Stone is tied to the man’s intangibles, not his scoring or point totals. We all love the him but let’s not pretend that Brady couldn’t be out scoring Stone regularly going forward as our team gets better and matures, 60 points in your prime isn’t exactly a high bar for a star winger.

See, no, you make good points about Brady being younger and therefore it being too soon to compare him to Stone, and then you say Stone's a 60 point player. Come on man. Stone's been a PPG player every year since 2017. He's clearly established himself as an 80-ish point player in a full 82 game season.

Reactions: Rodzilla and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
See, no, you make good points about Brady being younger and therefore it being too soon to compare him to Stone, and then you say Stone's a 60 point player. Come on man. Stone's been a PPG player every year since 2017. He's clearly established himself as an 80-ish point player in a full 82 game season.
I dont get why people die on this hill when people can simply just look at his ppg. You're not tricking anyone haha.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Brady doesnt have anywhere close to Stone’s vision, hands and IQ. Brady is a smart player who makes his money around the net in tight. I really like Brady, he’s a monster power forward with good skills, not elite skills.

his physical play is elite. When I look at Brady I see a 30 goal, 65~ pts steady guy. Hope he exceeds my expectations

Reactions: topshelf15

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You seriously have no clue.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Brady doesnt have anywhere close to Stone’s vision, hands and IQ. Brady is a smart player who makes his money around the net in tight. I really like Brady, he’s a monster power forward with good skills, not elite skills.

his physical play is elite. When I look at Brady I see a 30 goal, 65~ pts steady guy. Hope he exceeds my expectations
As seen in this year's playoffs, Stone 's style can be neutralized by a good team. BT's style is exactly what wins games in the playoffs.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

50 point defensively useless players make 5 million.

Tkachuk is better then that

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

65 points and everything else Tkachuk does makes him the top power forward in the league.

He will commands and deserves a solid salary. His body will privably break down and he won't have a crazy long career. He's going to want every dollar he can't get between now and then.

Reactions: Rodzilla

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
As seen in this year's playoffs, Stone 's style can be neutralized by a good team. BT's style is exactly what wins games in the playoffs.

We have to get there first.

I am happy with Brady and his progression, he’s still not close to Mark Stone skill wise. I have said in multiple threads Tkachuk will be a monster once/if we get back in the playoffs with him. But lets not act like Stone isnt the more skilled player, its not really close.

Stone’s always been pretty solid in playoffs, this year MTL and esp Price had Vegas number.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I’m really not trying to knock Stone here. I guess it’s just a pace vs actual points disagreement.

In my opinion you can’t be called an 80 point player if you have never put up 80 points, even if injury is the issue every year. The reality is that he can be counted on to give the team 60ish points each season judging by his NHL career performance.

I’m going to let this die here though on my end as I really don’t want to argue against Stone. My point was not to diminish him but rather to bring some of the lofty points comments made to compare to Brady, back down to earth.

Anyhoo…

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I’m really not trying to knock Stone here. I guess it’s just a pace vs actual points disagreement.

In my opinion you can’t be called an 80 point player if you have never put up 80 points, even if injury is the issue every year. The reality is that he can be counted on to give the team 60ish points each season judging by his NHL career performance.

I’m going to let this die here though on my end as I really don’t want to argue against Stone. My point was not to diminish him but rather to bring some of the lofty points comments made to compare to Brady, back down to earth.

Anyhoo…
Therefore Brady is a 40pt player.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

get-out.gif

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I guess the question I'm seeing through all the angst in here is, is Brady a 8 mil player eight now or is he an 8 mil player in 2+3 years. If the latter, is it worth it to sign him to an 8x8 now. Because it sounds like no one thinks he'll be more than an 8 mil player 60-70pt player with intangibles, while some think he may not even hit that.

In my eyes, as a team that's going to only be paying 4-5 big contracts at once, Brady is one of those guys that I'd rather lock down now than lose in 4-5 years

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
I guess the question I'm seeing through all the angst in here is, is Brady a 8 mil player eight now or is he an 8 mil player in 2+3 years. If the latter, is it worth it to sign him to an 8x8 now. Because it sounds like no one thinks he'll be more than an 8 mil player 60-70pt player with intangibles, while some think he may not even hit that.

In my eyes, as a team that's going to only be paying 4-5 big contracts at once, Brady is one of those guys that I'd rather lock down now than lose in 4-5 years

I think you have it exactly right. He probably maxes out as a 60-70pts player with intangibles.
That being said, you really have to look at those intangibles.

If he stays healthy, he is going to be at or near the top of the league in hits and shots on goal every year.
He will, as we have seen many nights, drag his team into the fight.

He is a born leader and competitor. He can turn a game around with one shift.
Is great with his teammates and the fans. Has great swagger but at the same time is humble and always defers to the play of his teammates.
He is exactly what this franchise needs right now. $8m/year for 8 years? I do that all day long.

giphy.gif

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Think BT doesnt want to lock himself down for 8 seasons,offer it settle on 6 years and go from there

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think you have it exactly right. He probably maxes out as a 60-70pts player with intangibles.
That being said, you really have to look at those intangibles.

If he stays healthy, he is going to be at or near the top of the league in hits and shots on goal every year.
He will, as we have seen many nights, drag his team into the fight.

He is a born leader and competitor. He can turn a game around with one shift.
Is great with his teammates and the fans. Has great swagger but at the same time is humble and always defers to the play of his teammates.
He is exactly what this franchise needs right now. $8m/year for 8 years? I do that all day long.

View attachment 454297

His camp wants a bridge .. May get him for 5. He would be a UFA on expiry then (UFA year 2025)
If he signs a 3 year bridge expiring 2024 he would have 1 RFA year left .. A chance to sign him long term or he takes his 1 year and is a UFA

Lots of agents/players are going to want these bridge deals due to the flat cap and high escrow. Plus they are young enough to cash in and maximize earnings on their next deal.

Tkachuk will be 22 in September.. so he'd be 30 entering his next deal if he signs for 8...
He signs for 3 ..He'll be 25 entering his next deal .. easily can cash in on an 8 year deal then in presumably a better financial climate and with 3 years of unprecedented success under his belt.

It just makes sense for them to want these bridge deals.

Reactions: topshelf15

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I think that's the big problem here that a lot of folks don't want to see.

If Brady deserves 8 now, does Timmy get 10 or 12 in two years? Does Bath get 6-7? Will we be giving Sanderson 8-9 after his ELC? We already gave Chabot a "max" contract that he hasn't earned yet, we can't afford to continue raising the salaries of every kid we have like this.

I know everyone loves intangibles - and they are important - but you're not supposed to add millions to a contract for them. Not in a salary cap era. You could do that back in the 1990s with Messier if you're the Rangers, but we sure as hell aren't in that world now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
His camp wants a bridge .. May get him for 5. He would be a UFA on expiry then (UFA year 2025)
If he signs a 3 year bridge expiring 2024 he would have 1 RFA year left .. A chance to sign him long term or he takes his 1 year and is a UFA

Lots of agents/players are going to want these bridge deals due to the flat cap and high escrow. Plus they are young enough to cash in and maximize earnings on their next deal.

Tkachuk will be 22 in September.. so he'd be 30 entering his next deal if he signs for 8...
He signs for 3 ..He'll be 25 entering his next deal .. easily can cash in on an 8 year deal then in presumably a better financial climate and with 3 years of unprecedented success under his belt.

Yep ,if we could pry 6 seasons out of him I think that would be great for both...6 year window,is about as far as you can push things now anyhow

Oct 10, 2010

Also makes sense for the sens to want a bridge deal to prove his worth and worry about signing him long -term in 3 years as we'll have a better idea what type of player he truly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad