Recalled/Assigned: Brady Skjei

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He looked much better the last game he was up than in December.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Skjei looks better and better with each call up, which is a great sign. Like McIlrath, the kid just needs games at this level to figure things out. I'm sure it will be a little up and down, but this kid seriously has the tools to be a 2nd pair version of McDonagh. If Mr. NMC, Marc "Boat Anchor" Staal wasn't blocking him, he would probably already be on the 3rd pair, getting meaningful minutes. But, for now, playing in the AHL doesn't seem to be hurting him any.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
As a defenseman Skjei's puck retrieval is so effortless, it's amazing. He beats every player on the ice to loose pucks with 2-3 strides. Once he really learns what to do with the puck at the NHL level he's going to be a beast.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I thought he looked very good last night, outside one turnover where he got double-teamed and didn't unload the puck fast enough.

The Bret Hedican comparisons were spot on right from the beginning. This kid may not end up having a ton of offense, but his skating stride is so effortless that he excels at skating it out of trouble, he has a good first pass, and he even shows a willingness to jump into the play when the opportunity presents itself.

This kid is going to find a nice home long-term at 2LD behind McDonagh.

Also, just want to point out that he had one or two really nice stretch passes. I haven't seen any of our D other than Yandle attempt that all season, and it fits our transition game like a glove. Awesome to see a youngster with that kind of confidence in his game in the first game of a call up.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I thought he looked very good last night, outside one turnover where he got double-teamed and didn't unload the puck fast enough.

The Bret Hedican comparisons were spot on right from the beginning. This kid may not end up having a ton of offense, but his skating stride is so effortless that he excels at skating it out of trouble, he has a good first pass, and he even shows a willingness to jump into the play when the opportunity presents itself.

Also, just want to point out that he had one or two really nice stretch passes. I haven't seen any of our D other than Yandle attempt that all season, and it fits our transition game like a glove. Awesome to see a youngster with that kind of confidence in his game in the first game of a call up.

I was surprised but loving he was making those passes. Also loved it when he would bring the puck out of the zone and into the neutral zone before passing. Good stuff from him for sure

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I was surprised but loving he was making those passes. Also loved it when he would bring the puck out of the zone and into the neutral zone before passing. Good stuff from him for sure

Complete agreement here. He's so much better than Marc Staal it's almost sad.

We should be running McDonagh-Yandle-Skjei down the left side next season, but instead will probably be McDonagh-Staal-Skjei, at least until Staal plays himself down to 3LD. We could have a truly elite LD corps if not for Staal's albatross contract.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal

This is the type of player AV really likes, a big mobile Dman that can move the puck. McI is a different type of player, but can really complement him in the long term.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This dude needs to play next year full time

Ideally trade staal , sign yandle but I doubt it

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
You guys sound surprised Skjei can play. He made those stretch passes at Minnesota.

Way to sound like a snob. You do realize that players get away with things at lower levels that they can't in the NHL, right?

Skjei hadn't played a NHL game in two weeks, and before that, two months. I honestly didn't think he would have the balls to attempt, let alone complete, those kinds of passes given how little NHL experience he has.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Boyle and Yandle out, Skjei and McIlrath in.

Seems the most likely outcome. Have to hope that this kid can chip in offensively otherwise its McDonagh alone again.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Doesn't surprise me that he was sent back down, but it has to be genuinely frustrating for Skjei to see clearly inferior players (Staal, Girardi, Boyle) taking roster spots you rightfully deserve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad