Brady Sjkei - does he bounce back this year?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think he comes back better. He had a year to de-program the AV system and hopefully with Ruff out now, we can get someone who knows what to do with good clay besides flinging it like monkey poo.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yes. Not like he needs to, because he’s always been a beast, but he’ll be even better next year.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think he is what he is...a good 2nd pair dman. He's had some flashes of being that top pair defenseman, but I don't think it's sustainable.

Reactions: haveandare

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Most underrated player on our team at this point, people act like he’s garbage

I am not going to opine on the over/underrated thing but he is playing above his real level. I mean he's a good #3-5, not a top pair guy on a true competitive team. So he looks worse than he should because they are forced to use him on the top pair. I mean could you imagine Staal or someone else in Skjei's spot?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
He's a strong skater but can mess up positionally and almost seems like he has mostly struggled with being on the same page as whoever is his partner at the time.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
What do you see him as? A top pair defenseman?
I see him as #3/4 on a contender. He was drafted as a defensive defenseman yet put up crazy numbers his rookie season and was then thrown way over his head being asked to carry our defense. AV ran an awful defense, as does Lindy Ruff. Skjei looked fantastic in the World Championships when he wasn't under awful coaching & had capable partners. He is a phenomenal skater, great size & strength, great gap control, good offensive instincts, I think he just tries to do much because he felt like he had to be our #1 guy. Pair him with Trouba and get rid of Ruff and I think he does great.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I see him as #3/4 on a contender. He was drafted as a defensive defenseman yet put up crazy numbers his rookie season and was then thrown way over his head being asked to carry our defense. AV ran an awful defense, as does Lindy Ruff. Skjei looked fantastic in the World Championships when he wasn't under awful coaching & had capable partners. He is a phenomenal skater, great size & strength, great gap control, good offensive instincts, I think he just tries to do much because he felt like he had to be our #1 guy. Pair him with Trouba and get rid of Ruff and I think he does great.
I feel like the majority see him as a 3/4 though so I don't see how he's really underrated and treated like garbage? I mean of course there will always be a handful of posters who think he should be a #1 dman for some reason and crap on him but that's to be expected with half the players on the team.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I don't think he has anything to bounce back from tbh

he was what he always was this season, a decent top 4 D with questionable hockey IQ
This.

We only just saw what he was this past season. He's a second pairing defenseman that's a decent #3 or a good #4 at his best that can play in all situations and be passable, but not excel at any single aspect of the game.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I feel like the majority see him as a 3/4 though so I don't see how he's really underrated and treated like garbage? I mean of course there will always be a handful of posters who think he should be a #1 dman for some reason and crap on him but that's to be expected with half the players on the team.
Well a 2nd pairing defenseman is a very valuable asset and not someone we should be complaining about saying they suck. I think they see him as a 3/4 on a bad team not a contender, I think he is on the higher end of second pair defensemen in the league. I see a lot of Rangers fans saying he sucks, is a dumb player, the only thing he's good at is skating, etc. I think he was the best defenseman on our team last year, neck & neck with ADA. I think he's a very strong all around defenseman who fits the direction the NHL is going perfectly.

Reactions: haveandare

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Skjei has shown to be at the level of a good 3rd pairing defenseman, with a good 2nd pair ceiling, playing on the 1st pair. I think when they signed him to a long contract, it may have had an adverse affect with regards to the level of play expected from him. He hasn't earned the contract yet in my opinion, but he is only 25 and could easily turn it into a good contract for the remainder of it.

I don't think Skjei was worse or better last year than he was the year before either, and his rookie season was still his best season.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I feel like a lot of people forgot how bad he was for a chunk of last season. He was comfortably worse than Staal for most of it. I really hope he bounces back. I'm not counting on it.
Yes, the first half of last year he was undeniably bad. But by the same token, he was that good in the second half of the year prior. And he righted himself significantly in the last three months or so of last year. I'm actually very curious to discover what we see from him this year...

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Yes, the first half of last year he was undeniably bad. But by the same token, he was that good in the second half of the year prior. And he righted himself significantly in the last three months or so of last year. I'm actually very curious to discover what we see from him this year...

Yeah, I think that's fair. He did appear to have improved again by the end. Fingers crossed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad