Prospect Info: Brady Lyle

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
OHL Highlights

At Providence this seasons has 8 points in 14 games.

How were the Bruins able to sign this guy? Late bloomer?

Looks like a skilled D. And that is taller than 5'9 :)

Quite the highlight real package. Seems to have all the tools and confidence. If he’s as good as this highlight real how was providence able to sign him?

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Waiting for @BruinsNetwork and @Saxon Eric to chime in...

Hello, PM, I have been tagged in and I shall share what I know about Lyle. I have some clips I'm gathering right now to start posting more of him, but there's definitely some stuff to like with him.

I know what you mean, but so far he has been a pleasant surprise. Was expecting Zech and Ahcan to most likely be their best D prospects, since Vaak is now in the NHL.

Okay, starting here, I don't think Lyle is the Zech, Ahcan-type defenseman at the next level or even this level, honestly. I think his combination of size, strength and skill is allowing him to shine in certain instances right now in a weak AHL division. He's definitely got skill, there's no denying that, but I think he's more of a Kevan Miller type than those others. His snapshot is serious, like NHL-caliber for sure. His wrister is probably in that same wheelhouse. He skates fine, though h's not super agile nor super fleet of foot.

Lyle is given more time and space than really necessary to disrupt him and I think some of that is because he's big and can handle the puck. Forwards at the line and defensemen trying to threat him are giving him some more space than needed, I think. He doesn't process the game super well at this level and even though his mind has the right play or deke presented to him, his body doesn't react quick enough to pull some of them off. Lyle takes more time than he should to walk the line, dish the puck low or shoot, but when he does it's usually a good play.

He projects to me, anyways, as a bottom-pairing Miller-type defender at the next level. Size, strength, decent feet and solid hands with a great shot. I just don't know if he processes the game fast enough to really establish himself as dominant, non-depth player at the next level. Credit to him for racking up the points this season, but if this were a normal season I'm not sure he'd be having the same level of success as he is currently.

I like Lyle though and definitely have time for him, but he's not quite there yet and not nearly as skilled overall as someone like Zech or Ahcan is. I mean, then again, is that surprising to any of us? If he were 6'3", 210lbs with their skill I doubt we're having this conversation because he'd be elsewhere.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Lyle
Not much to add other than I think his skating is a bit inconsistent but his other strengths should have been enough to get him drafted,
This isn't a normal AHL season ,it's more of a extended development camp, he's done well but the level of competition isn't great at the moment, not to take away what the boys have done thus far but there's been no back to backs or long road trips on the bus, have to keep that in mind
I'd certainly resign him

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Lyle
Not much to add other than I think his skating is a bit inconsistent but his other strengths should have been enough to get him drafted,
This isn't a normal AHL season ,it's more of a extended development camp, he's done well but the level of competition isn't great at the moment, not to take away what the boys have done thus far but there's been no back to backs or long road trips on the bus, have to keep that in mind
I'd certainly resign him
There is too much upside from what I saw on the highlights not to like this kid and sign him.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Lyle
I'd certainly resign him

Eric and I are on the same page, but next time I'm linking him to capfriendly or elite prospects....

Reactions: Saxon Eric

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It shows you how scouting isn't an exact science,I'm sure there were scouts who argued with their bosses to draft this kid but ultimately lost
Our gain

I'm up way to early so I am going to give this a shot.

I've spoken about this many times before. Lyle played for a Stan Butler coached team and with Butler, it's defence first, second and third, and then offence. Butler's track record for fully developing players for the NHL isn't as great as someone like Dale Hunter. All you need to do is look at his record. If your looking for someone to develop a player defensively, there was no better option than Butler.

In his draft year, Lyle put up decent points. In the eyes of NHL scouts, they wanted more. Personally, I had him ranked as the 6th best d-man from the OHL 2017 NHL Draft – OHL Writers . In his second draft year, after a trade to Owen Sound, his offence took off, but the question remained: which is the real Brady Lyle?

But Lyle also had options. In 2018, he was invited to the Sens development camp. In 2019 he was invited to the Yotes development camp. He had the opportunity to sign with both and after the 2019 try out with the Yotes, he bet on himself and decided to return to Junior, have a good year and wait for a better opportunity. The Bruins came calling, as did the Yotes (and maybe some others).

Only time will tell if holding out for a better opportunity and betting on himself was the best choice. But that's the route he took and I like a player that bets on himself. But I also don't think there will be a lot of scouts regretting not drafting him. He's with a good organization now that will develop him properly. Certainly better than what the Sens or Yotes would have.

I wish him the best.

Lyle, Brady (1).JPG

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Credit to him for racking up the points this season, but if this were a normal season I'm not sure he'd be having the same level of success as he is currently.

FWIW I really do think if Mason Lohrei were signed to his ELC and thrown into the AHL he would be putting up points without a problem this season. Hartford and Bridgeport really aren't good teams, which is shockingly putting his nicely.

I don't know man. Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like a double standard to me. Sounds to me like you're suggesting it's okay for Lohrei to put up hypothetical points against two dumpster fires, but because it's Lyle actually putting up points, they are two dumpster fires.

Then again, it's probably just me. :oops::oops:

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I don't know man. Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like a double standard to me. Sounds to me like you're suggesting it's okay for Lohrei to put up hypothetical points against two dumpster fires, but because it's Lyle actually putting up points, they are two dumpster fires.

Then again, it's probably just me. :oops::oops:

I didn’t say that though, Dom. All I said is that I think Lohrei would be racking up points in the AHL right now if he signed because I don’t think Bridgeport and Hartford are good teams. I even said “full credit” to Lyle for putting up the points. I just question whether or not he’d be having the same success in a normal year having analyzed his game.

If anything, my point about Lohrei speaks to the narrative that he needs to be playing against his own comparable players or whatever those people say. I didn’t say it’s okay for Lohrei to put up points here and not okay for Lyle. I think they’re two very different players in very different situations right now.

FWIW I like Lyle and I’ve said as much more than once.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I didn’t say that though, Dom. All I said is that I think Lohrei would be racking up points in the AHL right now if he signed because I don’t think Bridgeport and Hartford are good teams. I even said “full credit” to Lyle for putting up the points. I just question whether or not he’d be having the same success in a normal year having analyzed his game.

If anything, my point about Lohrei speaks to the narrative that he needs to be playing against his own comparable players or whatever those people say. I didn’t say it’s okay for Lohrei to put up points here and not okay for Lyle. I think they’re two very different players in very different situations right now.

FWIW I like Lyle and I’ve said as much more than once.
Sounds to me like the better competition is in the USHL

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Lyle is in his 14 games as a pro is tied for 5th in scoring for defensemen.

He is tied for 6th on Providence for all skaters.

Does he get powerplay time, or are most of his pts 5 on 5? I know he has no PP goals.

He has 8 pts total and all of them coming in the last 10 games.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Last edited:

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Lyle is in his 14 games as a pro is tied for 5th in scoring for defensemen.

He is tied for 6th on Providence for all skaters.

Does he get powerplay time, or are most of his pts 5 on 5? I know he has no PP goals.

He has 8 pts total and all of them coming in the last 10 games.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League
He plays PP but shares with Zech and Ahcan when he's there

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad