Confirmed with Link: Brad Richards retires

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You do know Stamkos and Hedman are only 25/26 years old right? :laugh:

Of course. But I don't want to assume they'd sign further extensions after their 8 year deals run out well into their 30's. Let's assume the vision comes true and the Lightning keep the band together and we win a couple championships. We become a darling franchise that is a model of consistency like Detroit. By the time Hedman and Stamkos are done with their contracts they might be ready to hang up the skates because by that point they'll have seen it and done it all.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I get what you're saying but they wouldn't be the first great players to have their numbers retired after lesser players used them. Also, is it really any worse than if those mediocre players had worn those numbers before the ones for whom they would be retired rather than after?

And I know people will disagree but I don't want MSL's number retired. I'm not suggesting his accomplishments as a member of the Lightning should be forgotten entirely due to his conduct at the end of his tenure here, but I do think he forfeits that level of individual honor. If we have an event honoring the Stanley Cup team he should be welcome, but I don't want his number hanging in the rafters or a statue of him outside the arena.

You are not the only one that doesn't want #26 retired.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Of course. But I don't want to assume they'd sign further extensions after their 8 year deals run out well into their 30's. Let's assume the vision comes true and the Lightning keep the band together and we win a couple championships. We become a darling franchise that is a model of consistency like Detroit. By the time Hedman and Stamkos are done with their contracts they might be ready to hang up the skates because by that point they'll have seen it and done it all.

I highly doubt Stamkos "hangs up the skates" at age 34, same with Hedman... They could win 5 cups between now and the end of their contracts and neither would retire that early.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks Brad for your time here in Tampa!

Just feels sad that Vinny and Brad retired same season, cannot believe it's such a long time ago we won the Cup..

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Then we wouldn't have Stamkos and the majority of the current team (including coaches, SFY, etc.).

True but seeing Lecavalier, St.louis and Richards waste their prime years under incompetent management was painful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad