Brad Park vs Denis Potvin

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Brad Park was a tremendous player but the answer to both questions is Potvin-though I think its a bit closer than people think

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
It's Potvin and no it's really not all that close either, Potvin was a stud from day one, had a much higher peak, was simply better at everything.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's Potvin and no it's really not all that close either, Potvin was a stud from day one, had a much higher peak, was simply better at everything.

Only born 5 years apart. 5 first team & 2 second team all-star berths for each.

Yes Potvin was better, but it is closer than you think.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Sometimes its too easy to choose the player that played on the dynasty. Although I take Potvin, what if they played on each others team with the same stats? Does it make the choice more difficult?

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I like Park but even when considering era and teams, I don't know that he was the offensive force that Potvin was. Potvin was over a PPG six times, sometimes way over. And Park was tough and is probably an underrated hitter, but Potvin is on the short list of 'most intimidating defensemen ever'.

DB bringing up the all-star teams is interesting and something I never knew, but I still go with Potvin.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In 1976 and 1978 Potvin won the Norris over Park directly. In 1979, Potvin's other Norris Park wasn't a finalist.

But the answer to me is Potvin. Scarier to play against, and as good as Park was at controlling the aspect of the game it was Potvin who did it better. Look at the stats of Bossy and Trottier in 1979. Then look at them in 1980 when Potvin missed about 50 games. If that doesn't tell you that Potvin was the centerpiece and the glue of that team, then nothing will. He'd have done the same on the Bruins.

Reactions: rfournier103

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Only born 5 years apart. 5 first team & 2 second team all-star berths for each.

Yes Potvin was better, but it is closer than you think.

Take a close look compare them year by year after they were drafted, does Park win (or have a better year) anytime in their first 15 years in the league?

when one does this it's easy to say that they really aren't as close as the all star voting might suggest.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
There are certainly elements of Park's play that are better than Potvin's.

I just can't think of any at the moment.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Park is under rated because he never won a Norris but the answer here is Potvin hands down. He had a great NHL career but I'll always think of him as the finest Junior player I ever saw.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
You gotta go with Potvin here... and I say this as an expert who never saw either player play ;). (Well, I saw Potvin a few times when he was old.)

I wonder, though, in a world where, say, Bobby Orr had drowned in Georgian Bay in 1962, would Park have the following on his resume?:
- six Norris trophies (behind only Harvey & Lidstrom in NHL history)
- 1972 Stanley Cup

And then, might we be looking at this a bit differently? But anyway, here in reality, it is what it is.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I wonder, though, in a world where, say, Bobby Orr had drowned in Georgian Bay in 1962, would Park have the following on his resume?:
- 1972 Stanley Cup

And then, might we be looking at this a bit differently? But anyway, here in reality, it is what it is.

That's if Park ended up a D in the mold of Orr. But, yes, I understand what you were getting at, and I do think so. Park was SO good--the only knock on him is the lack of Cups and major awards. You add a Cup and 6 Norrises to his resume and he's definitely boosted perceptually.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sometimes its too easy to choose the player that played on the dynasty. Although I take Potvin, what if they played on each others team with the same stats? Does it make the choice more difficult?

I don't think it matters here. It isn't as if Park didn't play on great teams (although no Cup) his entire career too. But Potvin excelled before the dynasty started. In fact, he had excellent years before Bossy showed up and even a couple before Trottier showed up. He was the glue of that Islanders team. I'll take Potvin just because at his best it wasn't a dimension Park hit.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Potvin and Potvin.

As much as Orr is credited for being the one who changed the game, Potvin is the prototype that was more often emulated.

Potvin is one of the most complete defenders of all time. Hard, physical defense, by the 80s very good conservative positioning, could handle the puck, make long passes out of the zone, and had the prototypical big slapshot from the point. He was a good skater, even if he didn't have elite speed.

After his rookie year, he was a Norris winner or finalist the rest of the decade, beating Park in voting every year. He carried the Isles in the early days and was the cornerstone of the dynasty.

You gotta go with Potvin here... and I say this as an expert who never saw either player play ;). (Well, I saw Potvin a few times when he was old.)

- 1972 Stanley Cup

Potvin beat him for the last two. You'd need him at the bottom of the Rideau Canal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad