Brad Marchand Has there been or is a Similar Player as you see it?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Marchand is poor man's Fleury
I think Marchand is better right now than Fleury ever was. His best finish was 6th in scoring in the lockout-shortened year, Marchand was top 5 last year, and has continued his pace into this season.

He's been one of if not the best offensive player in the world this calendar year, while still being the best pest in the game.

Edit: stats don't sort correctly in the link I tried to submit, but only Stamkos has a better points per game this calendar year, and he's played half of the games that Marchand has.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol thanks for that man it was a typo anyway. All the guys you mentioned were not really better scorers for their time, Dino finished 6th at his best and Marchand was tied for 5th in points last season. I would argue Marchand is the most skilled player of them all except maybe Fleury. Also, Lol at Pat Verbeek. Claude Lemieux was also not as good of a player as Marchand lol.

Yeah because for their time, they had guys like Hawerchuk, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Selanne, Lafontaine, Modano, Messier, Hull, and countless other hockey legends to go up against.

Their rank around that time wasn't because they were bad, it was because of how many freaking HHOF'ers were playing in the league.

So yeah, Marchand isn't close to those guys. Nope.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah because for their time, they had guys like Hawerchuk, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Selanne, Lafontaine, Modano, Messier, Hull, and countless other hockey legends to go up against.

Their rank around that time wasn't because they were bad, it was because of how many freaking HHOF'ers were playing in the league.

So yeah, Marchand isn't close to those guys. Nope.

Lol what? Who says top 10 in points is bad? Half those guys you listed hadn't even started their careers or their primes yet when Dino had his best seasons anyway. This is an astonishingly bad rebuttal.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol what? Who says top 10 in points is bad? Half those guys you listed hadn't even started their careers or their primes yet when Dino had his best seasons anyway. This is an astonishingly bad rebuttal.

So from 86-93 when Dino was at his best, supposedly those players weren't around? Were you even alive to see that or are you just basing it off something like stats you googled? Dino was basically a threat since his entrance into the league, the guy made his presence known. During a time where Bossy, Gretzky, Dionne and others were the talent, the league just kept getting richer in talent, but it never meant guys like Dino, Pat, and Theoren weren't one of the best at what they did, which was be ornery as hell and also put up some incredible numbers based on their lack of size.

I was old enough to watch. Marchand is not better than Dino. Marchand in 2015-16 is the guy that broke out and people are hyping up right now, Marchand is also 29yrs old, so who knows how long this play lasts for, but 3 seasons worth and people want to make outlandish statements? Sure. I have the bad rebuttal.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
So from 86-93 when Dino was at his best, supposedly those players weren't around? Were you even alive to see that or are you just basing it off something like stats you googled? Dino was basically a threat since his entrance into the league, the guy made his presence known. During a time where Bossy, Gretzky, Dionne and others were the talent, the league just kept getting richer in talent, but it never meant guys like Dino, Pat, and Theoren weren't one of the best at what they did, which was be ornery as hell and also put up some incredible numbers based on their lack of size.

I was old enough to watch. Marchand is not better than Dino. Marchand in 2015-16 is the guy that broke out and people are hyping up right now, Marchand is also 29yrs old, so who knows how long this play lasts for, but 3 seasons worth and people want to make outlandish statements? Sure. I have the bad rebuttal.

Your reasoning is ridiculous, the NHL in the 80s is not vastly superior to the current league (or at all for that matter), the higher scoring and the fact that they have been retired (hence their hall of fame status) are literally the only reasons for thinking this.

Dino's only 2 top 10 finishes in points were 1982 and 1987. Selanne, Jagr and Modano began their careers after that, Lafontaine and Hull were in their primes after that. I'm not sure where your issue is here.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Historically I think of Verbeek, Fleury, Ferraro, Recchi and a few others.

As for the next Marchand, I think of Travis Konecny. They play extremely similar. Both are buzzards on the puck, annoyingly physical for their small stature and heavy wrist shots. Marchand wasnt yet in the NHL at 20 (whereas Konecny is a sophomore) but I think within 1-2 seasons you will see Konecny breakout..especially if he stays paired with and allowed to grow with Nolan Patrick.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Chris Chelios and Milan Lucic are closest that come to mind but really, Marchand is in a league of his own.

Wait, are we talking about huge noses? I didn't read the OP.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I find most sports fans that find an era better was because they were younger when they watched it. And when I say younger, I don’t mean a child. Just earlier in their life. Nastalgia is a strong feeling.

Reactions: authentic

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I find most sports fans that find an era better was because they were younger when they watched it. And when I say younger, I don’t mean a child. Just earlier in their life. Nastalgia is a strong feeling.
I watched more hockey from 95-2005 and I think it was a bad era for hockey for the most part. The 80s and current are my favorite.

Having said that, Ciccarelli was the better player.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I watched more hockey from 95-2005 and I think it was a bad era for hockey for the most part. The 80s and current are my favorite.

Having said that, Ciccarelli was the better player.

I just believe the 90s until now except for maybe a few brief stretches like 2001-04 and 2012-15 were significantly better than any other period including the 80s in terms of top talent and entertainment level. The league has been heading in the right direction these past few seasons though.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I agree with those who say Brendan Gallagher. Annoying undersized pest of a player who gets under the opposition's skin, but has scoring. Hate him on XXXX, love him on your team. That kinda guy.

I still occasionally enjoy watching Marchand get pulverised by Subban's backside, but would I be happy if he was on the Rangers? Most likely.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
People would have said the same about Marchand when he was 25 when comparing him to high end scoring guys. Only started putting up 30g 60pt seasons at 27. Gallagher is on pace for 30g this season, we'll see about his skill level in the coming years. Also Marchand always played with skilled C's like Bergeron/Kreijci. Gallagher plays with 40-50 pt C's his whole career like Plekanec, Desharnais, Danault etc.

Imo Gallagher is the perfect Marchand comparable, except that he's as lovable as Marchand is hateable.

They play the game in very different ways. Gallagher gets his points by mucking in the dirty areas, Marchand gets his by deking a defender one on one and wiring a wrister to top shelf further away from the net. Just looking at their career shooting percentages, Gallagher is around league average whereas Marchand is an elite sniper with 15% career sh%. Gallagher is more like a smaller Simmonds, whereas Marchand is a skill player in the mould of Gaudreau and Patty Kane.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
Well Fleury played over 1000 games, was ppg player also over 1800 pims.

WJC, olympics and Stanley Cup champion. I also never forget his short stint in Liiga

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad