Brad Marchand Has there been or is a Similar Player as you see it?

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Feel free to discuss Brad Marchand I think he is really special and multidimensional player and maybe a bit underrated?

I may have a few comparisons please name one or a few other players now or in NHL history which you think may be close to comparable to him in your opinion?

Last edited:

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Pat Verbeek

Good comparison. People will argue Verbeek was tougher because of the fights but the game was different then. If Marchand played in that era, he would have been fighting more as well.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Brendan Gallagher is like a poor mans Marchand.
I used to hate the guy, but he’s the type of player that all 31 teams would love to have.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I came to think of Theo Fleury?

I also thought of young/prime Theo Fleury. I didn't think Marchand had the chops/skill of Fleury, but the last few years have certainly impressed (or continued to impress as the case may be).

Fleury was also hated universally ;) (says the biased Oiler fan)

Reactions: yzerman

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Brendan Gallagher is like a poor mans Marchand.
I used to hate the guy, but he’s the type of player that all 31 teams would love to have.
More like broke mans Marchand. Don't need a guy on my team who get's ravaged by Pekka f***ing Rinne ;)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
None of these players mentioned have been top 5 in their position at any time of their career

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Gallagher is a great player, but doesn't have anywhere near the skill that Marchand has. Don't think that Kadri has similar style either.

People would have said the same about Marchand when he was 25 when comparing him to high end scoring guys. Only started putting up 30g 60pt seasons at 27. Gallagher is on pace for 30g this season, we'll see about his skill level in the coming years. Also Marchand always played with skilled C's like Bergeron/Kreijci. Gallagher plays with 40-50 pt C's his whole career like Plekanec, Desharnais, Danault etc.

Imo Gallagher is the perfect Marchand comparable, except that he's as lovable as Marchand is hateable.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kadri somewhat similar in that he is now a two way player/pest and good offensively. He is probably a better player than any other names mentioned in this thread though except Fluery in his prime. Actually he may even be as good as he ever was

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Verbeek, Ciccarelli, Fleury...

I think Pat was deemed a little ball of hate. Marchand might be pretty good but those 3 are legends at being uber pests that can also light it up like stars.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kadri somewhat similar in that he is now a two way player/pest and good offensively. He is probably a better player than any other names mentioned in this thread though except Fluery in his prime. Actually he may even be as good as he ever was

Lol, no. So incredibly wrong.

First, it's Fleury. And also, Pat Verbeek and Dino Ciccarelli have graced this league and if you want to go players that are taller than 5'11" then you have to include Claude Lemieux, one of the biggest pests to ever play the game, including Esa Tikkanen.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lol, no. So incredibly wrong.

First, it's Fleury. And also, Pat Verbeek and Dino Ciccarelli have graced this league and if you want to go players that are taller than 5'11" then you have to include Claude Lemieux, one of the biggest pests to ever play the game, including Esa Tikkanen.

Lol thanks for that man it was a typo anyway. All the guys you mentioned were not really better scorers for their time, Dino finished 6th at his best and Marchand was tied for 5th in points last season. I would argue Marchand is the most skilled player of them all except maybe Fleury. Also, Lol at Pat Verbeek. Claude Lemieux was also not as good of a player as Marchand lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad