Confirmed with Link: Brad Larsen Named Head Coach (Pascal Vincent, Steve McCarthy Hired as Assistants)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
With the information I’ve read and heard about how they denied other teams from talking to him and that they zeroed in on him from the start, I’m starting to feel like their mind was made up before having a dog and pony show coaching “search.”

Wasn’t his assistant contract up after this season?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With the information I’ve read and heard about how they denied other teams from talking to him and that they zeroed in on him from the start, I’m starting to feel like their mind was made up before having a dog and pony show coaching “search.”

Wasn’t his assistant contract up after this season?
Why are you seemingly so upset about them doing their due diligence? They knew they really liked Larsen, but wanted to make sure they aren't passing over someone who could potentially be a better coach.

Like someone else had already mentioned if they had hired somebody else let Larson go and he goes on to do what bednar has done in Colorado Jarmo would be crucified but he sticks to his guns and hires from within to help the culture that everybody says we need and people still want to crucify him for not hiring from "the old boys club"

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe the smartest and best CEO I worked for once said if an organization is doing well and culturally sound, hire from within if possible. If the organization is not and needs changes, hire from outside the organization…..couldn’t agree more.

I have my thoughts on where the Jackets stand which would have been the guide in the coaches search.

Reactions: Kratti and CBJx614

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Now I have absolutely no idea how good/qualified a HC he is, but hiring a first time HC who's already been in the organisation as an assistant for several years does not seem like a move an ambitious team would make. It screams "we're happy with how things are with the organisation and the culture we're building and see no reason for change".

Maybe, but on the other hand I think I prefer it to hiring some old geezer who just got fired by someone else. Also we know nothing of what they have talked about with Larsen and what kind of changes he wants to make. I mean after the season they just had, I doubt anyone is "happy" with how things are/were, but that doesn't mean Larsen couldn't be the guy going forward.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why are you seemingly so upset about them doing their due diligence? They knew they really liked Larsen, but wanted to make sure they aren't passing over someone who could potentially be a better coach.

Like someone else had already mentioned if they had hired somebody else let Larson go and he goes on to do what bednar has done in Colorado Jarmo would be crucified but he sticks to his guns and hires from within to help the culture that everybody says we need and people still want to crucify him for not hiring from "the old boys club"
It’s sort of like in the corporate world where they only post a job as an HR formality and then waste everyone’s time with fake interviews when their mind was made up before the process even began. The Columbus Police literally just did the same thing in hiring an assistant chief. I believe this process wasn’t done with a truly open mind.

The “bar” they were judging everyone else against Brad Larsen. What bar was Brad Larsen being judged against?

Reactions: Kratti

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Maybe the smartest and best CEO I worked for once said if an organization is doing well and culturally sound, hire from within if possible. If the organization is not and needs changes, hire from outside the organization…..couldn’t agree more.

I have my thoughts on where the Jackets stand which would have been the guide in the coaches search.
Take away this season , which was thrown away when Torts made his feud with PLD public and took it to the airwaves to ask him why , would you say the organization was unhealthy ? Yes , PLD wanted out , but dude seems to be a fruit loop and I think we dodged a bullet there . In lieu of hearing Velucci interviewed 2x , I would have preferred him , but I’m willing to give Larsen a chance . He hired Bednar after all , the players love him , he’s and X/O guy , and he’s played the game .

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Take away this season , which was thrown away when Torts made his feud with PLD public and took it to the airwaves to ask him why , would you say the organization was unhealthy ? Yes , PLD wanted out , but dude seems to be a fruit loop and I think we dodged a bullet there . In lieu of hearing Velucci interviewed 2x , I would have preferred him , but I’m willing to give Larsen a chance . He hired Bednar after all , the players love him , he’s and X/O guy , and he’s played the game .
You’re certainly entitled to defend the hiring of Larsen. Others here have as well. But at least use some valid logic in your response to my post. Players not wishing to stay with no answers as to why, being in a situation where people are calling for a tank, some asking for Jarmo to be fired, reports of dysfunction in the locker room (reports I believe),etc - is that your definition of a healthy organization?

Reactions: Kratti

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You’re certainly entitled to defend the hiring of Larsen. Others here have as well. But at least use some valid logic in your response to my post. Players not wishing to stay with no answers as to why, being in a situation where people are calling for a tank, some asking for Jarmo to be fired, reports of dysfunction in the locker room (reports I believe),etc - is that your definition of a healthy organization?
If the players won't say why they want(ed) is that really on the organization/FO? How are they supposed to make changes if players(looking at you Dubois) won't say why they wanted out. If Jones and before him Panarin, want out, it's their right to. If we give Panarin a pass because he just really wanted to go to NY and was forced here in a trade, well than the same thing applies to Jones. Jones didn't get bridged and hardballed, he signed a long term deal to stay here until he was UFA. This is a business, both the players and management understand it. It's the fans the get attached and overreact to everything. Jarmo preaches taking full advantage of everything in the CBA and he fully understands that it goes both ways. Maybe there's a massive problem in the organization that nobody can pin down. Or maybe Jones is just a human being with wants and needs, and just maybe he wants to take advantage of one of, if not the biggest decisions he'll ever make in his entire life.

Who in the organization is asking for Jarmo to be fired? All I've heard of are those here who want him out for whatever reason of the week is. What reports of disfunction in the locker room? The players leadership group who were unhappy with Laines play? Ya know the same group of guys who were sitting next to Laine and the same group of leaders who vouch for Larsen? When someone like Cam speaks up for the guy, personally I'm gonna listen to what he has to say. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I value those who are actually involved in the organization and apart of the discussions far beyond any analyst's or HF members say.

So far only fans have called for the tank, I haven't heard of anyone in the org or any talking heads call for a tank. So I take that with a grain of salt. I mean FFS there's Avs fans wanting to tear it all down because they can't get past the 2nd round.

Everyone is titled to their opinion but literally nobody on the boards is in those meetings and absolutely nobody here has any idea what Larsen's vision is or any of the moves that Jarmo/JD want to make.

Man I forgot how insufferable the boards get in the offseason after a losing season. This post wasn't necessarily aimed directly at you Moe, we generally see things the same way. More just venting at the how tiring the boards have become the last few months.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

0:00 - 9:40 On becoming HC, Tortorella, his coaching style, and Brad Shaw.

9:41 - 11:40 Seth Jones and that situation

11:41 - 14:39 on Patrik Laine

I can see why Laine was there for Larsen at the presser. He goes to bat for him pretty hard here.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I can see why Laine was there for Larsen at the presser. He goes to bat for him pretty hard here.

Good interview

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Speaking of which, all of those players were at the press conference but why is the only player I’ve heard comment or give any sort of congratulations online, either officially or on social media, Cam Atkinson?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Speaking of which, all of those players were at the press conference but why is the only player I’ve heard comment or give any sort of congratulations online, either officially or on social media, Cam Atkinson?
Maybe others arent heavy on the social media because it sucks? You can feel something/say it in person and not put it on social media

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Maybe others arent heavy on the social media because it sucks? You can feel something/say it in person and not put it on social media
Even still, there were 5 players there and none of them spoke to media or were even quoted in anything except for an official media availability that the team did with Cam.

There were tons of "good luck Torts we'll miss you" messages on social media. No "Congrats Brad!" messages from anyone except Cam.

Personal opinions of social media aside, it is an interesting observation.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Even still, there were 5 players there and none of them spoke to media or were even quoted in anything except for an official media availability that the team did with Cam.

There were tons of "good luck Torts we'll miss you" messages on social media. No "Congrats Brad!" messages from anyone except Cam.

In my office, if someone retires or leaves, the send off is rather public. And sometimes on social media. If someone is promoted, there is an announcement, and congratulations are said in person or in an email privately.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

you’re reaching here bud

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Laine hasn't been on twitter for 2-3 years. He hasn't been on instagram since the trade.

Gus Nyquist has neither one.

Korpi isn't active on either platform

Elvis and Cam are the only active ones. However Elvis mostly only posts personal stuff on his instagram and doesn't post many tweets on twitter.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I get making that point about guys like Werenski, Jones, and others who weren’t there…but not the guys that were there.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
is Larsen on twitter? Are they supposed to @ him? Would seem kinda silly for grown men to be doing that to their superior. Actions speak much louder than words here
Torts isn't on Social media so I fail to see your point?

The purpose of social media is to share information with connections or followers. Is it not socially acceptable to share a message of congratulations or excitement? If it is acceptable to thank someone when they leave it should be acceptable to be excited when something big happens.

Or is this the whole thing in society where we only focus on the bad things and don't celebrate the good things enough? I think it would be good for the organization if players openly shared excitement for this hire. That is if they are truly excited for it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd like to answer this question with another question.

Why does it matter?
Because if you look at the message we get from those players who are on and use their social media, all we see is "Boo Hoo Torts is gone, thanks for everything" but zero excitement from them for this new change.

I'd personally be a bit more into it if I knew more players than Cam thought this was a good thing for the organization. Especially when all we hear is about players who want out.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
5 players volunteered their precious free time in the middle of their vacation from the fast paced draining world of the NHL and showed up in person to an impromptu presser literally on one day notice after Larsen got hired and people are over analyzing it trying to find negatives somehow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad