Confirmed with Link: Brad Larsen Named Head Coach (Pascal Vincent, Steve McCarthy Hired as Assistants)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Larsen is Jeff Blashill 200 miles south.
Objection. 200 miles south would put him in Chilicothe. :)

I'm not exactly excited about the hire myself, but after the amount of crow I had after the Tortorella hiring, I'm attempting to reserve judgment. There was a time when we were terrified he'd be the next One That Got Away, after all.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Objection. 200 miles south would put him in Chilicothe. :)

I'm not exactly excited about the hire myself, but after the amount of crow I had after the Tortorella hiring, I'm attempting to reserve judgment. There was a time when we were terrified he'd be the next One That Got Away, after all.

There was? I don't remember this.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And he wanted to hear other thoughts from coaches who haven’t been with the organization. Having had a chance to do so could have provided clarity that didn’t exist prior.

All true, but if the question is why Larsen wasn't named interim early in the year after Torts had lost the team, your point doesn't provide an answer to that. You can see what you have in Lars and still interview him and other candidates in the summer, just like the Sabres are doing with Granato.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Pretty safe to say that if there’s a tough man contest in the nhl that consisted of your teams GM, and Head Coach , my money is on Lars and Jarmo

8167BF25-F7C6-4D63-90F7-C96082F432E8.jpeg

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
All true, but if the question is why Larsen wasn't named interim early in the year after Torts had lost the team, your point doesn't provide an answer to that. You can see what you have in Lars and still interview him and other candidates in the summer, just like the Sabres are doing with Granato.
Maybe because it was a chance to repair. And remember we really returned, but then.... Besides Jarmo has known Brad Larsen very good.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I’m a coach skeptic by default. I think there’s a handful of really good ones a handful of really bad ones and a bunch of average ones. I just don’t know if the difference between the great ones and the bad ones is even that big. It’s clear that talent is the number one factor in team success. Grit is pretty important come playoff time. How much of it is coach related I couldn’t tell you. I’m not gonna blame Larsen if there is a bad year. Look at the freaking roster.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well yeah, they’re not going to come out and say it. But if you think this is a “win now” move then I don’t know what to tell you.

Obviously they wouldn't say anything other than that they think Lars is going to be a great coach. But you can't infer from that that therefore he is not going to be a great coach.

That's a dumb way to seem smart.

Reactions: LJ7201

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Obviously they wouldn't say anything other than that they think Lars is going to be a great coach. But you can't infer from that that therefore he is not going to be a great coach.

That's a dumb way to seem smart.

Im not saying he’s a bad coach. I haven’t said that once.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I thought the question was ‘if you were going to hire him all along…’ and I was just suggesting maybe they weren’t. I understand what you’re saying in this scenario.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Sorry if it's already been posted.

But it sounds like Larsen is picking his own staff. Said he's gonna take a list from Jarmo but ultimately it's his decision.

Reactions: LJ7201

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Nothing against Larsen as I have no frame of reference to judge him as a HC yet.

But I'm curious about this aspect that Portzline reported:
From the Blue Jackets’ perspective, a first-time coach like Larsen — one with a history of teaching, one who can relate to today’s players, etc. — might make more sense than a veteran coach like Gallant or Tocchet, who could demand $3 million or more per season. (Larsen’s salary with the Blue Jackets is not known.)

Last edited:

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I’m a coach skeptic by default. I think there’s a handful of really good ones a handful of really bad ones and a bunch of average ones. I just don’t know if the difference between the great ones and the bad ones is even that big. It’s clear that talent is the number one factor in team success. Grit is pretty important come playoff time. How much of it is coach related I couldn’t tell you. I’m not gonna blame Larsen if there is a bad year. Look at the freaking roster.

This. You can count the really good coaches with the fingers of one hand. If Trotz was available, I would object to hiring Larsen. A lot of the coaches are in a grey mass where they occasionally have managed to bring their teams success, but there is no consistency over the years where you can point at the coach, as with Bowman or Trotz. Larsen seems well spoken, but that doesn't tell me anything as lots of coaches are good with words, but fail to bring the results. We just have to wait and see.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nothing against Larsen as I have no frame of reference to judge him as a HC yet.

But I'm curious about this aspect that Portzline reported:

First time HC's usually come in at a steep discount. Between $1m and $2m. That's nothing but good as long as it isn't the reason to hire him.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Now I have absolutely no idea how good/qualified a HC he is, but hiring a first time HC who's already been in the organisation as an assistant for several years does not seem like a move an ambitious team would make. It screams "we're happy with how things are with the organisation and the culture we're building and see no reason for change".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad