Confirmed with Link: Brad Larsen Named Head Coach (Pascal Vincent, Steve McCarthy Hired as Assistants)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I believe he had a modicum of talent with his fists. The rest of him I don't think ever improved.

I think he had a bit more skill than his NHL stats suggests but played in a time where he knew his role as an enforcer and played it well

Jared Boll has more god given goal scoring talent than Josh Anderson.

OHL stats PROVE that.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gonna add to this, despite it taking the thread off-topic, and suggest that dump and chase is effective with speed and tenacity on the forecheck. Schemes/styles can all be effective, if executed.

Effective, sure. But…..

WE WANT GOALS AND EXCITEMENT!!

“Sure we lost 6-5 but did you see that glove save Elvis made down 4-2 and Z with the hatty”!!??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I always laugh a little bit when fans complain about dump-and-chase. They want to possess the puck across the blue line, and they think NHL coaches and players just go “oh, that’s a good idea. Why didn’t we think of that?”

Yes, people sometimes act as if there isn’t another team on the ice to compete against that does positive and negative things that has an effect on what happens on the ice or how CBJ players look.

Same thing goes for Jarmo/the front office. People act as if Jarmo is the only person that controls what he can/cannot do.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Jared Boll has more god given goal scoring talent than Josh Anderson.

OHL stats PROVE that.
Anderson had 56 goals in 155 OHL games in his D+1 and D+2 seasons, including playoffs.

Boll had 53 goals in 153 OHL games in his D+1 and D+2 seasons, including playoffs.

It also goes without saying that Boll had only one more NHL goal in his entire career (579 games) than Anderson had in his best season.

I don’t know what prompted you to make this weird, ludicrous comment, but you should know it’s also factually incorrect. If it was a joke, it went far over my head.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yes, people sometimes act as if there isn’t another team on the ice to compete against that does positive and negative things that has an effect on what happens on the ice or how CBJ players look.

Same thing goes for Jarmo/the front office. People act as if Jarmo is the only person that controls what he can/cannot do.

It's easy to forget that the other team consists of the best hockey players in the world. Every NHL team is very talented. Every player has a job that hundreds of others would die for. They are all good and sometimes they just beat you no matter what you do.

There are no bad teams in the NHL in an absolute sense. In a relative sense there are.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Blue Jackets Sunday Gathering: Two inspirations for Brad Larsen and Pascal Vincent, another Jackets Cup winner

Hitchcock was still under contract the season after he was fired (2010-11), but with no NHL offers forthcoming, Howson found work for him within the organization. Hitchcock wanted to stay out of the way of the new coaches in Columbus — Scott Arniel was ultimately hired to replace him after Guy Boucher turned them down — so he worked with the AHL club, then located in Springfield, Mass.

Larsen had just retired as a player months earlier when he was named an assistant coach in Springfield, serving on coach Rob Riley’s staff.

“I talked to Hitch a lot that year; he came to Springfield a few times, too,” Larsen said. “We’d sit down and I’d pick his brain about practice drills, game strategy, certain philosophies, just stuff like that. He was an incredible resource for me. And if you know Hitch, I probably don’t have to say this part, but he was all in.”

At that point, Hitchcock had been a head coach at three different levels (WHL, IHL and NHL), and had been head coach of three different NHL franchises. It’s still hard to comprehend how, after guiding the 2008-09 club to the playoffs — they were swept in the first round by Detroit — he was fired the following February.

“There was just zero ego,” Larsen said. “I mean, he was tremendous for me. I’d call him: ‘Hitch, we’re having trouble scoring.’ And he’d have a few things to say, ‘Look at this,’ or ‘Try this, Lars.’ He was so good and so helpful, and that was really important for a young coach trying to learn his way in his next career.”

Vincent was consistently praised in Winnipeg for his ability to work with young players and prepare them for call-ups by the Jets. It’s easy to understand why Larsen and the Blue Jackets were drawn to the “teaching side” of his coaching ability during the interview process.

We asked him to describe his approach to players and the game, specifically to teaching young players and to running a power play. Larsen confirmed that Vincent will be running the power play as part of his duties.

First, to the players …

“I’m a student, so I love studying. I love reading. I love watching games and trying to understand how teams move, the X’s and O’s part of the game,” Vincent said. “But the first thing in teaching is to understand where they’re coming from, to listen to where they’re at, how they think, what their goals are, and from there, help them.

“I’ve studied leadership for quite some time now, and the No. 1 quality of any leader is you need to be able to listen. Truly listen, not just hearing words, but understanding what that person is saying. And then you work it quiet and you work it together.

“The only way to make it productive and to push people on the ice is to understand who they are as people. That’s what I do well. Sometimes it’s hard. Sometimes we have hard conversations. It’s not always fun and sunny outside. But it starts with listening and communicating.”

As for the power play …

“The biggest issue to me is understanding what we’re trying to do as a full unit, not just about one or two guys,” Vincent said. “It’s about pace. It’s about playing fast. It’s about attacking the net as much as possible. You can look at shot volume or shot selection, but I really think it’s a combination of both.”

It was at this point that Vincent’s words started to amplify with passion. And when he was asked if skill or will were the most important component, he really elevated.

“Yes! The difference-maker in all of this is retrieving (the puck) after an attack at the net,” Vincent said. “We call it the first touch after an attack, so you can keep the puck in the zone and continue your attack.

“There’s a point where it’s not about the system, it’s about your will to go get that puck back if you don’t score on the initial attack. It’s pace, for sure, and it’s intensity, yes, but it’s intensity with a purpose, knowing what we’re doing. Those are some of the key components we’ll talk about quite a bit.”

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Had a chance last week to chat with new Columbus head coach Brad Larsen, who was promoted from within. One of the things we discussed was how incredibly difficult it can be to move from assistant coach to head coach on the same team. You go from good cop to bad cop, and players can see that as phony. Rod Brind’Amour is one of the very few who made it work.
“One of the questions (John Davidson and Jarmo Kekalainen) asked was, ‘How different was I going to be than John Tortorella?’ The easy answer was, ‘I’m going to be me,’” Larsen said.
I like that response a ton, but it leaves something hanging. What does that mean? Larsen pointed out he did this exact move in the AHL, spending two seasons as an assistant at Springfield before being promoted to head coach. This was from 2010 to 2014, before the Blue Jackets brought him to their bench. The Falcons were 92-45-15 under Larsen with one playoff-round victory.
“As an assistant, I was given a ton of responsibility,” he said. “I grew up rapidly. Quite honestly, there’s a lot of stuff about being head guy I don’t like. You have to have tough conversations, rip hearts out, tell guys they are not good enough. I understand what that’s like because it’s happened to me. But you must be assertive and convicted. Empower your staff. I truly believe there is no substitute for experience.”
Is there anything he did as an assistant that he won’t give up?
“[Keeping track of] scoring chances,” he laughed. “For five years [after every game], I put on my jeans and cowboy boots and took a couple of hours to do them right.”
24. Larsen said everyone starts fresh in training camp as the Blue Jackets begin a new era. What hangs over from last year?
“The foundations that we believe in do not change at all,” he answered. “We had a bad year. Deal with it, learn from it and move on.”
25. I asked Larsen what he learned from Tortorella.
“There’s not enough time to answer,” he replied. “What conflict looks like and how to handle it. If there’s something to deal with, deal with it head on. There were incredible moments — I shake my head thinking about them. He pushed players, challenged them, but showed he cared about them. I was surprised at how many of his old players still call him. It proved to me players want to be coached.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad