Confirmed with Link: Brad “Wizard” Treliving Re-Signed

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
His UFA stuff still needs work, but I will defend it in some regards.
Neal was bad, and I think we all expected the last couple years to be rough, but in fairness to Brad, Neal had been a consistent 20-25 goal scorer for a decade plus. He didn't fit with our centres, and he regressed hard, but when the deal was signed, even other teams canvases weren't absolutely giving us hell for that contract. Also, he kept it 5 years, not 6 or 7, which is nice.

Brouwer, while bad, I see what he was going for. Middle six RW with sandpaper who has a decent defensive game and had been deep in playoffs, and could be a decent secondary scorer. I never liked the deal, but I do think Brouwer would have gotten something similar on other teams at that time. And again, props to Brad for not going long term, and going mid term with 4 years. He didn't pull a Ladd and give 7 years.

And his first year, we were expecting To be in a rebuild for several years, and didn't need the cap, and needed a few decent roster players. And given our situation, we'd have to overpay for any UFA to be honest. I still think Raymond looked good at the start of his first season, but that injury he suffered killed him. He was literally never the same. But those first few games I was actually liking him. As for Engelland, I know he gets a lot of hate, and he had a lot of flaws, but what bottom pair D doesn't? I still think he was good for our team for his role, and his leadership and locker room effect was a bigger deal than people realize. Overpaid? Yeah, but again, the 2014/2015 Flames would have to overpay anyone.

As for goalies, I honestly don't blame him. By all accounts, Bishop never wanted to be here, the cost for Fleury was too high, and there just haven't been a lot of good options, and giving a top pick for a goalie wouldnt be a great idea anyway. So giving lesser assets for a mid tier goalie isn't a horrendous stain on his resume as far as I'm concerned. Elliott didn't work out but was a solid gamble at the price. Smith was great until injury, and nobody was complaining about him until the end of that first year when he was clearly rushed back. Yeah he started last season horrendous, but he finished well post all star break, and was basically our playoff mvp. I think what we got from Smith for what we gave up for him was fine. The goal with Smith was ashort term solution while hopefully an internal option stepped up. Which Rittich has to a point.

So yeah he's had UFA blunders, but I think you can at least see what he was going for, and it's far from the worst things we've ever seen.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As for goalies, I honestly don't blame him. By all accounts, Bishop never wanted to be here, the cost for Fleury was too high, and there just haven't been a lot of good options, and giving a top pick for a goalie wouldnt be a great idea anyway. So giving lesser assets for a mid tier goalie isn't a horrendous stain on his resume as far as I'm concerned. Elliott didn't work out but was a solid gamble at the price. Smith was great until injury, and nobody was complaining about him until the end of that first year when he was clearly rushed back. Yeah he started last season horrendous, but he finished well post all star break, and was basically our playoff mvp. I think what we got from Smith for what we gave up for him was fine. The goal with Smith was ashort term solution while hopefully an internal option stepped up. Which Rittich has to a point.

So yeah he's had UFA blunders, but I think you can at least see what he was going for, and it's far from the worst things we've ever seen.

UFA wise, they were always supposed to be at least solid steps towards addressing a major hole in the roster. Usually, we'd look at it and be like, not necessarily the best option worst case scenario, it should still be workable. Neal and Brouwer? Nope. Raymond, LW logjam.

Goalies wise:
- He was close to consummating a deal on Matt Murray, but Pens wanted to see what they had in him first before pulling the trigger and for them, good thing they did. Otherwise, I think it would have been easily the top 3 greatest heists of his damn good trading career thus far.
- Bishop didn't want to be here as a UFA, because ownership supposedly vetoed bringing him in twice. It seemed like he was sick and tired of having someone jerk his chain around only to not consummate the deal. Once the cost/cap was too high, the second, we had 45 minutes to reply to Yzerman, King wasn't available to rubber stamp the deal, so he was traded to LA. Can't blame him when it's ownership's fault.
- Elliott took time to figure things out, then was really good to bring us to ploffs, then horrendous in ploffs. Johnson, same thing, but coach refused to play him in ploffs. Idea wasn't bad, but I think based on the goalies available at that time, he did pretty good)
- Smith was very good, then awful after his injury and it took him like 8 months to get back to decent.
- Hiller and Ramo were adequate in their first season, then abysmal in their last seasons. Can't fault him for that kind of crazy drop off.

Reactions: CamPopplestone

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
UFA wise, they were always supposed to be at least solid steps towards addressing a major hole in the roster. Usually, we'd look at it and be like, not necessarily the best option worst case scenario, it should still be workable. Neal and Brouwer? Nope. Raymond, LW logjam.

Goalies wise:
- He was close to consummating a deal on Matt Murray, but Pens wanted to see what they had in him first before pulling the trigger and for them, good thing they did. Otherwise, I think it would have been easily the top 3 greatest heists of his damn good trading career thus far.
- Bishop didn't want to be here as a UFA, because ownership supposedly vetoed bringing him in twice. It seemed like he was sick and tired of having someone jerk his chain around only to not consummate the deal. Once the cost/cap was too high, the second, we had 45 minutes to reply to Yzerman, King wasn't available to rubber stamp the deal, so he was traded to LA. Can't blame him when it's ownership's fault.
- Elliott took time to figure things out, then was really good to bring us to ploffs, then horrendous in ploffs. Johnson, same thing, but coach refused to play him in ploffs. Idea wasn't bad, but I think based on the goalies available at that time, he did pretty good)
- Smith was very good, then awful after his injury and it took him like 8 months to get back to decent.
- Hiller and Ramo were adequate in their first season, then abysmal in their last seasons. Can't fault him for that kind of crazy drop off.
Yup. Hiller was solid the first year. Nobody could have forseen that drop off. Nobody.
But I think considering, he's done what he can with goaltending given options he's had. Acquiring a top 10-15 goalie isn't easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad