Speculation: BPA vs Drafting for Need.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
BPA because Barzal

And not that "we have too many C's to make room for Barzal" crap

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I know that the Oilers need D-men and some speedy wingers but if Tkachuk is still on the board at say 6-8 then I think you have to consider him. A lot of people told me that Matt would never be anything more than a bottom six forward but while watching the Memorial Cup it was obvious that the guy was a hard worker and a real winner. Chances are pretty good that the brother has some of those same qualities. You have to show up every night to play or raw talent and great speed mean very little. Right now, the Oilers need those qualities just as much as they need speed or defence. Every night we seem to have half a dozen passengers.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Go back to 2003 and watch my head explode as we trade down and not select Parise because we had York, Comrie and Marchant at C. That being said, you draft the BPA.

Problem is poor scouting, poor development, poor management.

How the F can we worry about drafting BPA vs need when we have guys who advise Chia that Griff was worth a 1st and a 2nd? Even the coach is starting to drive me nuts. WTF is Cammalleri even getting prime ice? Why would you play Klefbom at all if he needs surgery? I beginning to expect 10 more years of this shit.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Go back to 2003 and watch my head explode as we trade down and not select Parise because we had York, Comrie and Marchant at C. That being said, you draft the BPA.

Problem is poor scouting, poor development, poor management.

How the F can we worry about drafting BPA vs need when we have guys who advise Chia that Griff was worth a 1st and a 2nd? Even the coach is starting to drive me nuts. WTF is Cammalleri even getting prime ice? Why would you play Klefbom at all if he needs surgery? I beginning to expect 10 more years of this ****.

My thoughts exactly. When we passed over character players like Doan and Parise it was the beginning of the tragic drop in terms of the organization's performance. Doan and Parise had franchise player written all over them and more importantly it was known that both had leadership characteristics, something we desperately needed. Draft the guys you can't pass up and then trade for other needs. That's what good management does.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It takes years to develop and team need can change so go Board imo.

Imagine if Nashville didn't take Seth Jones because they had dman, people would be roasting their GM. Instead they trade from a strength to fill a need not draft to fill a need.

Well they traded Seth Jones for RyJo.

They could have drafted Sean Monahan, and not bothered with the trade.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Best. Player. Available. Having more talent than you have room for isn't a problem it's a great situation to be in.

Additionally, 90+% of your draft choices are 3+ years away from realistically playing in the NHL and your team needs could be and often are entirely different by then.

No they won't be different.

If you need a #1C now, you will likely need one 5 years from now. If you need a #1D now, you will need one 5 years from now.

Only way to acquire either is through the draft. They don't magically appear.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was at game in Halifax last night checking out Saifin. He didn't bring it, but Saint John is already eliminated so I'll give him a pass.

Zadina looked really good. Nice consolation prize.

Talked to a big Oiler fan there (lots of Oiler fans in attendance) and he goes to all the games. He really likes Noah Dobson from Bathurst. RH shot and plays D. He will be around when we pick.

I realize people out west don't like the Q league but at this point, what do we have to lose? The WHL drafting has not been outta this world

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad