Waived: Boyd Gordon

SpookyHockey

Feb 11, 2010
I believe Lyubimov wouldn't need waivers to be sent to the Phantoms, but I agree. Sending him down over Gordon would have been stupid.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sending Luby down wouldn't be stupid if he played on the top 2 lines and got a chance to work on his offensive game, right now he's as bad as PEB on offense and he isn't trusted on the PK at this point. So it wouldn't be the worst thing to get him 20 minutes a night in offensive situations.

Gordon was a reasonable gamble, for what is in effect only money (and Comcast has plenty) they added possible depth if they could get one year out of him. Unfortunately it didn't pay off, but you can get him off the books b/c it's basically a minimum salary.

The need to make patches like this is why Hextall doesn't want to trade prospects or overpay free agents - he can finally see the end of the tunnel where he can make decisons based on talent, not cap room or short-term expediency.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Capgeek thought they had to make another move to activate Streit, but Hextall would know better.

I thought they might demote Lyubimov (he's waiver exempt) to buy another week before having to waive Gordon, but I'm glad they didn't wait around. Hopefully he's claimed because there's no role for him on the Phantoms, either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sending Luby down wouldn't be stupid if he played on the top 2 lines and got a chance to work on his offensive game, right now he's as bad as PEB on offense and he isn't trusted on the PK at this point. So it wouldn't be the worst thing to get him 20 minutes a night in offensive situations.

It doesn't seem like there was ever any intention to have the now 25 year old Russian play in the AHL this season. Even when he was healthy scratched for weeks, they kept him up rather than giving him AHL ice time (and the corresponding AHL salary).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There may be a gentleman's agreement with Luby, but money aside, I'm not sure he's best served being in the NHL right now, he's an energizer bunny but a bit clueless. To stay in the NHL, he'll have to become a top PK guy, because I think at his age he's not likely to become an offensive threat.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

There may be a gentleman's agreement with Luby, but money aside, I'm not sure he's best served being in the NHL right now, he's an energizer bunny but a bit clueless. To stay in the NHL, he'll have to become a top PK guy, because I think at his age he's not likely to become an offensive threat.

Lol, so you think he should be sent down to the AHL to work on his offensive game, and you also think he isn't likely to become an offensive threat?

:amazed:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yep, Lyubimov is clueless but Vandevelde and Bellemare aren't. That's why they're so great on the PK :laugh:

Chris VandeVelde is the worst PKer I have ever seen in my life on any team at any level.

It's not because of stupid plays like Ryan White.

It's because he never makes ANY plays. Ever. It's like his stick is slathered in puck repellant.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Chris VandeVelde is the worst PKer I have ever seen in my life on any team at any level.

It's not because of stupid plays like Ryan White.

It's because he never makes ANY plays. Ever. It's like his stick is slathered in puck repellant.

If he played with his stick upside down I don't think it would make any difference at all.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
VdV makes plays on the PK (not sure how often). I just recall writing it down.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I've never seen a less aggressive PK in my entire life. I scream at my TV every time as they slowly collapse more and more into the slot. It's atrocious.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I've never seen a less aggressive PK in my entire life. I scream at my TV every time as they slowly collapse more and more into the slot. It's atrocious.

I don't know if I'd really want an aggressive PK with our batch of players. Vandevelde and Amac graze around enough as it is.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I cannot fathom any team claiming Gordon. He simply cannot keep up in the NHL anymore and his ability to win 55 out of 100 faceoffs isn't enough to compensate for his being a complete liability otherwise.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I cannot fathom any team claiming Gordon. He simply cannot keep up in the NHL anymore and his ability to win 55 out of 100 faceoffs isn't enough to compensate for his being a complete liability otherwise.

You can't?

There's a lot of GMs out there that make incredibly questionable decisions.

I don't think he's getting claimed either, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me based on the stupidity we've seen from some of these guys.

I don't mind Hextall signing him, it was worth a try and basically zero risk, but now that we've seen how he's actually performed it's clear he's done.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If he played with his stick upside down I don't think it would make any difference at all.

In my ball hockey league last night, one of the guys couldn't find his stick and had to bring his daughter's, so it came up to his sternum. He is a very skilled player usually but was whiffing on everything, couldn't shoot, kept missing passes because he would put the stick out to where he normally would receive them.

He reminded me of VdV.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Now hopefully we get rid of Hak-din twins this offseason. I'm hoping for a 4th line of Leier-Laughton-Weise next year

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I could see Arizona bringing him as a 4C/PKer. They are familiar with him and have atrocious depth at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad